Ticket price & flag tifo for Gold Cup July 14th.

Admin

This is a double header.  Three other countries will be in the stadium on this day.   I want our section to really really stand out.

I would like to do massive flag tifo for all of our sections.

Retail ticketing pricing is $33.  We have no significant discount.  It would cost approximately $4.50 US to put a custom flag in to peoples' hands.  This would make our ticket price higher than the retail south end price at around $38 or $39 to be safe.

This would be the first time our tickets are more expensive than another section in the stadium.

This would be custom Gold Cup flag made only once for the first Gold Cup game held in Canada.  Yes it will have gold on it cause gold is awesome.

It's only $6 more.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now logistically, how do you distribute the flags.

You can't put them in the seats, there is a game before.

I think we do this.

1. Tell people they are 98.3% likey to get a flag.

2. If you want one 100%, come to the pre game party.

3. Then just have some volunteers hand them out in the stands.

For the price, think there's no doubt the extra cost for a flag is fine.  I'd say I would probably have a tougher time recruiting people to pay high 30's than low 30's, but at the same time I think the ticket stock is a bit lower this time around so who cares shouldn't be any problem filling out the sections.  Probably better to just have the people who really want to be there anyways.  Also wouldn't be against an extra round of memberships to help deflate the cost a bit.

For the flags, I wouldn't guarantee anything specific and then just give them out at the pre-game party/in the stands. No one can complain that way.

I like this. The thing about flags is anyone who wants one gets one. If we hand them out at the pre-game then the remaining at the game if someone doesn't get one but really wants one surely they'll be a Voyageur willing to give his or her's up. God knows how many of these flags I've had at games but only ever given to someone else or just left with Jamie for the next game. 

I was going to comment that we may not want to out price Ticketmaster.  But checking now, it's not offering me anything at less than $54.25 a seat.  It will be interesting to see what is available when the public sale starts tomorrow.

We should also be aware that some (many?) at the pregame will not have seats in our section.  So if there's flags for everyone at the pregame, we may need more than number of tickets.

I suppose the question is, what is the magic number that makes people start questioning buying tickets. My gut says $38 may be pushing it ... but my view of prices is warped ... somewhere in my mind, I still think I should be able to get change from a $2 bill when I buy a beer at the bar.

I could argue both sides of this one!

Would be nice to see the flags ...

With kickoff at 8:30, and the Jamaica-El Salvador match at 6 pm, personally I'd at least want to catch the last half of that match.

Lets do this.

Logistics - We will have to have all flag in place prior to the start of the first game or handed out right before the Canada game. I'd imagine most people will plan to be at both games, might make the pre game meet-up challenging.

Also a WCQ to prep for in June!

Price won't effect my purchasing of tickets. It could keep a few from coming but it shouldn't be a huge factor.

Only other way would be to do some sort of fund raising in advance (event/collectable etc) to help bring the cost down.

What it will affect is the people who just buy five or ten tickets and just bring people.  I'm not sure those people do that at $33 and not at $38.  I don't think they do it at $33 anyway.

The plan was we would use our discount and bring it back up to retail.  However, there is basically no discount, plus we have the extra $1.50 for the step we incur when buying through Pay Pal.

Go for this or chicken out and just have a buy option and people pick it up at the pre game party.  Trouble with that, the numbers of the flags has gone from

3000 - > 1000 - > a few hundred.    The corresponding price goes up  :(

Maybe this is just not the game to do it.

It's just not clear how price sensitive all of this is.

Maybe this is just not the game to do it.

It's just not clear how price sensitive all of this is.

Won't we have the World Cup Qualifier at BMO a month earlier?  Perhaps that might be the game to do it.

I'd imagine most people will plan to be at both games, might make the pre game meet-up challenging.

Based on the Gold Cup game in Seattle last time, most people stayed in the pub drinking through the first game, and didn't show up until the end of the first match.  

I usually buy 3-5 tix and give them away to friends to get them into following the team. I may have to cut down by 1 if we go the flag route but I'm OK with that.

Quality, not quantity!  Nobody liked that fifth guy anyway.

I usually buy 3-5 tix and give them away to friends to get them into following the team. I may have to cut down by 1 if we go the flag route but I'm OK with that.

Just like a drug dealer! (I do the same thing lol)

If there is one game to do a ridiculous and somewhat expensive TIFO, definitely this one.  

Generally speaking I like this idea. The flags do stand out.

Since I'll be spending lots of money to get to Edmonton and Montreal for the WWC + summer school (class that night), I'm not sure if I'll make the mid-week trip from Ottawa for the game.

I REALLY hope I can make it though and if I do I don't mind paying a few bucks more for my ticket.

Archived