Molham Babouli

Dub Narcotic

He scored a brace for Al-Ittihad in a 3-1 win over Al-Majd on October 24. He's apparently starting for them. Al-Ittihad are three games into the season and are currently 1-1-1.

Here's the highlights from the game, Al-Ittihad are in red, Mo is #19 with the long hair (his goals are the first two):

• 3 months later...

Difficult to find game reports in a language I can read*, but according to Wikipedia, he's scored 7 goals in 20 games thus far for his Syrian Premiere League team. Pretty decent strike rate but I'm actually curious about the number of assists he might have since I always think of him more of a play maker than pure goal scorer.

*Curious if Herdman sent him The Letter and if so, I wonder what Arabic word for "Tactical Periodization" is.

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Hope Mo is ok after yesterday

Yes sure hope so. I actually haven't heard anything from him recently. Does anyone have any updates on his play in Aleppo? Can only find scores -not match reports or goalscorers- from the Syrian League.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Hope Mo is ok after yesterday

The airstrikes yeaterday were nowhere near Aleppo, although there was an explosion at an Iranian military base outside there today that is believed to have been an Israeli airstrike.

1 hour ago, Jith12 said:

Yes sure hope so. I actually haven't heard anything from him recently. Does anyone have any updates on his play in Aleppo? Can only find scores -not match reports or goalscorers- from the Syrian League.

His club, Al-Ittihad, have a Facebook page which was very active until about a month ago: https://www.facebook.com/AlIttihad.SC/

I don't know exactly why the activity stopped, but there's plenty of video highlights on there from games this year. He's been doing quite well, he has six goals so far this season in around 20 games and Al-Ittihad are leading the league by three points with five games left.

He also posted a video of one of his goals on Instagram a few weeks ago:

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

This was from the Ultras of the team Tishreen on the day after the bombing when matches were still played. 

TishreenUltras.jpg

Wonder how many of those in the crowd work in Assad's torture prisons or are involved in the chemical and conventional indiscriminate bombing of civilians in the war. Frankly, it's disgusting that Babouli is playing there in tacit support of the regime and disgusting that the World Cup is going ahead in Russia this year, but, "The Beautiful Game..."

32 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Wonder how many of those in the crowd work in Assad's torture prisons or are involved in the chemical and conventional indiscriminate bombing of civilians in the war. Frankly, it's disgusting that Babouli is playing there in tacit support of the regime and disgusting that the World Cup is going ahead in Russia this year, but, "The Beautiful Game..."

I tend to agree with you here. But you could also say he plays for the people who are living in hell and who knows this is their only distraction from their horrible situation. 

45 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

The war is mainly about a gas pipeline from Qatar to Europe that required regime change in Damascus to be built and could have devastated the Russian economy given they depend on Siberian gas to Europe for much of their state revenues. You would be hard-pushed to find a government or rebel group in that part of the world that doesn't have a very bad human rights record, but considerations like that have never stopped western countries from doing business with Saudi Arabia, because not doing so would have devastated the western economy given it revolves around the petrodollar cycle. Don't think we have the right to judge what Babouli is doing from a moral standpoint because the world is a very messed up place and there's not a lot a soccer player can do to change that. Think Babouli's time was up at TFC and he wouldn't be in Syria right now, if he was ever likely to be the answer in MLS terms, because nobody in their right mind would move to Aleppo right now if they had viable options elsewhere. Seriously doubt Ben Spencer is the answer either, but he's younger and still viewed as a prospect. He probably has another 12 months or so to put the pieces together or he'll be on his way and somebody else will get the development time instead.

Agree with most of that but Aleppo was not Babouli's only option.. he chose to go there in the hopes of getting called to Syria (he's eligibile apparently) if they had qualified for the World Cup, maybe he still has dreams of being called.  But for sure he would have been able to land a USL deal here.  

8 hours ago, Keegan said:

Agree with most of that but Aleppo was not Babouli's only option.. he chose to go there in the hopes of getting called to Syria (he's eligibile apparently) if they had qualified for the World Cup, maybe he still has dreams of being called.  But for sure he would have been able to land a USL deal here.  

Any proof he had any other others? I have heard of any - but agree the move only makes sense if the WC call up followed. The quality in the video is a decent standard Sunday men's league, and pay can't be much. Oh yeah, and it's in a war zone.

20 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

I try to stay away from the political stuff, but I couldn't help myself this time.

Is there actually any evidence those attacks were from Assad?

42 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I try to stay away from the political stuff, but I couldn't help myself this time.

Is there actually any evidence those attacks were from Assad?

None whatsoever...They bombed Syria hours before the investigation team could arrive to assess the accusations... I wonder why...:rolleyes: