Canadians in MLS (2015 Season)

baulderdash77

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worth noting that at least a few players are getting decent time with American teams (Akindele, Larin, de Jong and Ouimette). Last season it was really only Johnson that played serious minutes with a non-Canadian side.

The top 6 players in this list are in their early 20s. The younger players are hopefully getting decent minutes with USL sides.

I remain optimistic.

Who saw Morgan leading the board in minutes at the beginning of the year? lol

I know right?  Congratulations due to Ashtone, he doesn't look like the same player he did a few years ago.  THAT kid looked like a lot of potential that needed to work on aspects of his game.  The new, more mature Morgan can be taken as a shining example of what a young prospect with hard work and coaching CAN turn into.  Unfortunately, a lot of our young prospects don't ever turn the corner, mature, and go to that next level. 

If Morgan is to be taken as an example of what having options after the age of 23 looks like for Canadian players to stay at home...then I'm on board.

Who saw Morgan leading the board in minutes at the beginning of the year? lol

Not me. I would have picked Osorio knowing that Johnson was injured. The  top 5 on that list will miss MLS time for the Gold Cup & WCQ but I think it is between them as I don't see any of the others moving up to catch them.

I figured Akindele and Osorio would be our strongest MLS players this year.  Morgan is without a doubt the surprise of the season for us.  Also I think that we're also seeing the best case scenario for Larin as well.

Morgan looks like a completely different player now though.  He's always had great pace and nice crosses but he'd get lost in traffic and lose a guy open too often.  We're not seeing this this year and his consistency has really made a huge difference.

Also Morgan gets a bit of other lime lite that he didn't get in the past.  For example last weekend TFC had a free coaching session for 400 coaches at BMO field and they brought Vanney, Stuart Neely, Danny Dichio and Morgan to speak with the coaches.  That's really a pretty big indication of how they rate Morgan.

At the end of the season we're going to see if Morgan has a future outside of MLS or if he's going to be a stalwart member of the team in the future.

My happiest surprise - Ouimette catching on at all with a non-Canadian MLS team.  His time may be numbered there, but when Red Bulls signed him I fully expected Red Bulls II.

My biggest disappointment - JGL for the Impact.  After that game he played terribly for the Nats, he basically fell right off the radar, from a guy that I had hopes would be trying to squeeze out Bernier's old job.  Still young...

Morgan looks like a completely different player now though.  He's always had great pace and nice crosses but he'd get lost in traffic and lose a guy open too often.  We're not seeing this this year and his consistency has really made a huge difference.

Not to take away from Morgan's progress but I think TFC has looked a lot more organized and disciplined defensively as a whole (about the time they switched to a diamond/had Cheyrou as the sole DM). Osorio has also improved his defensive game, him and Morgan seem much more aware of what they're supposed to be doing when defending.

Morgan is a lot less reckless lately which is natural as you mature.

Not to take away from Morgan's progress but I think TFC has looked a lot more organized and disciplined defensively as a whole (about the time they switched to a diamond/had Cheyrou as the sole DM). Osorio has also improved his defensive game, him and Morgan seem much more aware of what they're supposed to be doing when defending.

Morgan is a lot less reckless lately which is natural as you mature.

I also think it helps when teams have to game plan against the most dangerous attacking player in MLS (Giovinco) by providing extra defensive support from midfield.  I hate to use trendy cliches, but that's another reason why the little Italian is a gamechanger. 

In fairness to Pedro Morales, but when he first started to slip a touch off the radar is when all the other MLS teams caught on and started double and triple teaming him as well.  Lowered Morales' production, but sure helped the other guys on the pitch, not as much this season, but big time last season.

Added Lefevre.

Total Minutes, halfway through the season:

Morgan 1099

Osorio 1028

Akindele 927

Teibert 852

Larin 847

Adekugbe 616

deJong 614

Ouimette 502

Lefevre 360

Johnson 354

Tissot 346

Bernier 325

Bekker 313

Froese 161

Jackson-Hamel 84

Chapman 47

Gagnon-Lapare 18

LA Galaxy 1 - 0 TFC (Chapman, Manella, Hamilton) after 10 minutes

Chapman gets his first regular season start. Manella and Hamilton are on the bench.

Montreal Impact (Jackson-Hamel) 1 - 2 NYC

Jackson-Hamel played the last 7 minutes plus added time.

Colorado Rapids 3 - 1 Vancouver Whitecaps (Froese) after 85 minutes

Vancouver made its 3 substitutions and Froese stayed on the bench.

Russ off to Gold Cup & Sam still injured (hasn't even dressed for the WC2 game yet) so none for us this week. Flores in with Gersh was not good defending. Great passing but cost us several bad turnovers. Russ & Gersh are clearly ahead of him in the "DM not named Laba" role.

Again, with Chapman he is simply not hungry enough for this. Apart from playing passively throughout the game, the two times he was set up by Cheyrou to break out with space, he nearly lost it (he did end up doing well to keep possession to his credit) in the first rush and timidly went forward the second time. He should have blitzed down the field both times and created any semblance of a scoring opportunity instead of what we actually ended up with.

Chapman played about 70 min and Hamilton got in for the last 5 + ET in TFC drubbing at the hands of the Galaxy.

Unfortunately, given the way Findley played, it was 85 minutes later than Hamilton should have come on. In fact, he only came on when Findley seemed to cramp up, making it seem like Vanney only played him when he was absolutely forced to. Given the way Findley has played (He's definitely been the bust of all the new signings for TFC this season) it has made the lack of use of Hamilton very frustrating.

^ & ^^.  I agree with these last two posts.  Chapman has to get more aggressive if he wants more PT.  Findley is absolutely useless.  Creavalle and Zavaletta had really rough games.

Chapman looked to be overwhelmed by the total pace of the opposition's game (decision making, off the ball movement, passing distribution), so I'd chalk that one up to a good learning experience.  I like the description someone gave to Findley elsewhere as an "MLS 1.0 player," who parlayed his quickness into one good season, and a World Cup appearance, but doesn't have the technique/savvy to overcome his loss of athleticism.  Takes up too much cap hit, too.

Creavalle and Zavaletta really lack situational awareness, as we say in the workplace safety biz.  Among many other things, how many times did these guys get burnt off of throw ins?  And the only thing that makes Zavaletta's distribution weaknesses less noticeable is how bad Creavalle is with passing the ball.  Vanney's going to undermine this team's post season run if he persists with using Creavalle if the first choice RB is out at playoff time (hmm?? where have I seen this before recently??)

Hopefully Bloom is healthy enough for a run  out, at least until Ashtone comes back (who would have imagined we would be saying that at the end of last year!).  Apparently, Caldwell is near a return which could solidify things a bit.  Or, give Hagglund another shot, but he was shockingly bad for the first few weeks after Caldwell was hurt, which is why Zavaletta was playing in the first place. 

I miss Doneil.

It was a helluva a cross for the tying goal, except it was NYCFC he was crossing to!

Such a boneheaded decision to play it across the goal but even his awareness was shocking, the NYCFC player wasn't really close to him. You have to hope he won't see the pitch for awhile.

Archived