Will Johnson (update)

Raven

Osorio may get the call now if Johnson refuses. He may decide that if his health is an issue and it would be better to not take chances on a friendly game and see how he's doing in November.

Id be perfectly fine with that. Will doesn't need to play in this friendly if his leg is acting up. Gives him a chance to rest, gives Oso a chance to show his TFC form for the national team. Hopefully the international break will be what Will needs to come back stronger for Nov WCQ.

I mentioned he missed the Timbers last match due to injury. This is why. I think we should give him a rest and bring in Osorio. The good thing is that Johnson is up to speed with Floro and the group so it is not necessary to bring him in until November. I hope Portland do not make the playoffs so he can take a few weeks to recover for WCQ.

Good thing we've been calling up Osorio as cover for Johnson..... o wait....

Osorio may get the call now if Johnson refuses. He may decide that if his health is an issue and it would be better to not take chances on a friendly game and see how he's doing in November.

This is why. I think we should give him a rest and bring in Osorio.

I realize that Osorio is the latest cause celebre around here but does everybody really think that Osorio is the most appropriate replacement for Will?  Personally, based on Will's role, I'd prefer to see someone with a little more defensive acumen like Teibert.

I realize that Osorio is the latest cause celebre around here but does everybody really think that Osorio is the most appropriate replacement for Will?  Personally, based on Will's role, I'd prefer to see someone with a little more defensive acumen like Teibert.

We also have Piette and De Guzman who can play in the defensive mid role. Also Floro would put Straith there, which I am not a huge fan of doing.

I realize that Osorio is the latest cause celebre around here but d

oes everybody really think that Osorio is the most appropriate replacement for Will?  Personally, based on Will's role, I'd prefer to see someone with a little more defensive acumen like Teibert.

Teibert would be a better fit but he's already going to get called for October! Why? So he's ready for the November game in Vancouver. You can't put him on the poster for the WCQ and not have him at least on the bench. Teibert's going to be a squad regular through the next 2 months.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

We also have Piette and De Guzman who can play in the defensive mid role. Also Floro would put Straith there, which I am not a huge fan of doing.

One of Piette and De Guzman will be playing for sure in a fairly defensive posture.  However when I think of Will, I think he brings a tremendous work ethic and runs all over the park.  To me, that's a lot like Teibert and less like Osorio.  Osorio seems more of a replacement for Hutch in that distribution role and more advanced.

Teibert would be a better fit but he's already going to get called for October! Why? So he's ready for the November game in Vancouver. You can't put him on the poster for the WCQ and not have him at least on the bench. Teibert's going to be a squad regular through the next 2 months.

Right, for sure, I get that.  I'm just trying to stem the tide of negativity when Osorio doesn't get called/playing time.  Just because Johnson is out, doesn't mean Osorio is in.  No matter what happens, I still think Osorio will be on the bench even if Will is out injured.  He's not plug and play for Will's position in my mind.

Osorio gets slagged for his defensive work but he is not exactly a liability defensively. Furthermore, what is Will's role with us? To play as one of two central midfielders, at least based on all the evidence. In fact, it's the exact position Osorio has been lining up for us in. 

Osorio for Johnson is quite reasonable That's not to say Teibert shouldn't start in Will's place (that is a matter of opinion, and I respect yours), but if Russell is not on the bench it should br Osorio that takes his place to make up the numbers, bare minimum (in my opinion, anyways).

Edited by Obinna

There's talk he could play in the playoffs, so I'd imagine there's a decent chance he's back by the time we play Mexico.

Let's hope they do not make the playoffs! Looks unlikely they will miss them without falling off pretty bad, pulling a TFC if you will.

• 2 months later...

They need to sort out the GK situation, but I think TFC should line up like this now:

Beiteshour---Moor---Perquis---Morrow

Johnson---Bradley--Cheyrou---Osorio

---------Altidore------Giovinco-----------

Beitashour---Moor---Perquis---Morrow

--------------Altidore--GsdsJohnson---Bradley--Cheyrou---Osoriosf
--------------Altidore--Giovinco-------------
--------------Altidore--Giovinco-------------Beitashour---Moor---Perquis---Morrow