Will Johnson (update)

Raven

But but can we might here that Johnson declines the call up to focus on club ball?

Seeing how he is the former NT captain i hope we dont hear that. Roster should be out in a couple of weeks.

Edited by king1010

That link is not working for me but this one should: http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/19/will-johnson-could-fittingly-return-at-bmo-field

Nice to see after a day in which a fringe player who probably is not good enough for international play regrets playing for Canada that a player who could be key for us is enthusiastic about the national team. Also as a Montrealer have to admit I enjoyed the following line: 

"And so the “brutal” process began – surgery, two nights in hospital, a week in Toronto." :-)

Class act will is. Interesting that floro has already contacted some players about the call up but as of this articles publication date floro hasnt been in contact with will.

I guess thats only normal though. Probably wants to see him in an mls game and make sure he is back to that level. Hopefully he plays this weekend in toronto and meets with floro so the two are on the same page.

That link is not working for me but this one should: http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/19/will-johnson-could-fittingly-return-at-bmo-field

Nice to see after a day in which a fringe player who probably is not good enough for international play regrets playing for Canada that a player who could be key for us is enthusiastic about the national team. Also as a Montrealer have to admit I enjoyed the following line: 

"And so the “brutal” process began – surgery, two nights in hospital, a week in Toronto." :-)

ROTFLMAO !! I don't know if it was meant that way but damn that is truly funny.

Love Will, he's turning into the real heart of our team.

At the same time this angers me thinking back to those who questioned his motives.

We are damaged.  Severely, severely damaged.  Like the most damaged you could ever imagine.  More damaged than the Kardashians.

We are damaged.  Severely, severely damaged.  Like the most damaged you could ever imagine.  More damaged than the Kardashians.

Except the Kardashians have changed their "damageness" into success. Were just waiting on that part.

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

Love Will, he's turning into the real heart of our team.

At the same time this angers me thinking back to those who questioned his motives.

"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day."

X the hundreds time I want to like this.

• 4 weeks later...

My translation of that is his club is putting pressure on him not to participate.

Thats bullshit. If he was playing for the states he would be at the gold cup no questions asked.

You think tfc is goinng to be able to tell klinsmaan that altidore has to stay behind. Fat chance.

If floro is indeed being pressured by rsl to not call him up i hope he tells them to shove it. Didnt he alrdy say cdn players should be released from clubs and treated the same as US players?

Edited by king1010

Ummmm anybody know why floro would say this? Johnson has alrdy played mls matches and gold cup is still weeks away?

@KurtLarSUN: Floro said it might be too early for Will Johnson to play at this Gold Cup.

Maybe Will hasn't learned the system yet? He's only been in 1 Floro camp and didn't play either Dominica game.

Maybe it's as simple as Johnson didn't feel 100% and they didn't want to risk an aggravation on an injury against an opponent that they were already 2-0 ahead of.

This makes the most sense. Maybe he took a small knock and it didn't matter if he played.

Edited by mserson

This makes the most sense. Maybe he took a small knock and it didn't matter if he played.

Hmm.  But to say he isn't ready for the Gold Cup doesn't explain anything.  I feel like Floro is irked at something, similar to Teibert situation.  Floro is intense.  If Will came into this camp with a buddy-buddy attitude like it was a Hart camp and he was slotting in or not buying into Floro's system as the others I can see that pissing Floro off.  I really believe Floro is the type of coach who thinks that a message to a "strong" player is more important than having our best players available.. let's be honest even Johnson isn't a world beater.  And he isn't wrong necessarily.. just look at Osieck.

Edited by Keegan

Hmm. But to say he isn't ready for the Gold Cup doesn't explain anything. I feel like Floro is irked at something, similar to Teibert situation. Floro is intense. If Will came into this camp with a buddy-buddy attitude like it was a Hart camp and he was slotting in or not buying into Floro's system as the others I can see that pissing Floro off. I really believe Floro is the type of coach who thinks that a message to a "strong" player is more important than having our best players available.. let's be honest even Johnson isn't a world beater. And he isn't wrong necessarily.. just look at Osieck.

Very true Keegan. Maybe WJ is hurt more than he's letting on and Floro let it slip?

Will looks like a hard working player and can't see that he's being ignored for slacking off.

Edited by mserson

If floro is indeed being pressured by rsl to not call him up i hope he tells them to shove it. Didnt he alrdy say cdn players should be released from clubs and treated the same as US players?

He is playing for Portland at the moment not RSL*.

He is playing for Portland at the moment not RSL*.

woops. thought it was 4 years ago.

I highly doubt Will came into camp with the wrong attitude. He is extremely dedicated. To the media he was saying all the right things. "I just hope I do enough to get called into camp, if I dont play thats ok I want to work hard to learn the system and help the younger players"

I guess we'll know next week if he is on the 23 man roster... same with Atiba.

woops. thought it was 4 years ago.

I highly doubt Will came into camp with the wrong attitude. He is extremely dedicated. To the media he was saying all the right things. "I just hope I do enough to get called into camp, if I dont play thats ok I want to work hard to learn the system and help the younger players"

I guess we'll know next week if he is on the 23 man roster... same with Atiba.

They could Matheson him, and bring him in and hope they only need him later on in the tournament.