L1O

mmd

This is what I saw on the League 1 Ontario website:

• Breaking News Alert: League1 Ontario Is Growing! Women's Division will launch with minimum 6 teams. Men's Division to grow to 12 teams. More details to come!

Anyone know what 3 teams are joining the mens division and what teams will be launched in the womens division? 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great that Ottawa Fury are in the Quebec Premier League.

L10 would mean more travel for the Fury.....would have been nice to see the Fury vs TFC Academy in L1O.

It's still possible with the Div III championship series between the two leagues

I know, how horrible to make them travel to games within the Province! ;)

Maybe they should re-brand as League One Toronto?

LOL!

But you're right, that may be League 1's Major flaw,  very GTA centric....other then Windsor.

In time it should all work out....

Looks like the Quebec League is Montreal based.

What would be a great idea, but it would involve to the OSA & Quebec Soccer Association to actually use their brains and work together...........so this may not work!

Create a League 1, no ontario or quebec attched, just League 1, have a Western and Eastern Division..which will help with travel costs.

There is no denying that Ontario and Quebec have the largest population, so why not work together to great a powerful DIII.

Create a League 1, no ontario or quebec attched, just League 1, have a Western and Eastern Division...

Even simpler, re-brand them all League 1 - [insert province/region] and work together on an integrated league cup competition and inclusion in the VCup.

The could start with League 1 - Central, League 1 - Quebec, League 1 - Pacific and maybe add League 1 - Praries and League 1 Atlantic or whatever they liked.

On the one hand, I guess expansion is good because it shows that there is interest in the league. On the other hand, more teams dilutes the competition.

For those that are more in the know, is this expansion a positive step? How big should L1O realistically grow? Don't you want to still keep the best on best element?

On the one hand, I guess expansion is good because it shows that there is interest in the league. On the other hand, more teams dilutes the competition.

For those that are more in the know, is this expansion a positive step? How big should L1O realistically grow? Don't you want to still keep the best on best element?

I'm going to guess MAYBE 14-16 clubs in Ontario max????

If we go with my previous suggestion of Ont & Que merging the 2 leagues to a west and east League 1, until other Provinces get their act together, I say max 10 for each of the 2 divisions, or a Single table of 20, which I would really enjoy if feasable......this way we can really have the best of the best play in a 20 team dual provincial league. As I meantioned, due to the combined population of the two provinces the talent pool should make the league an exciting one. And hopefully the winner of this League will eventually get an invite to play in the Canadian Championship!!!! Definetly will give every team a real goal to achieve knowing that they will be playing NASL and MLS Canadian Teams. And trust me, if a miracle happened and they defeat the higher division Canadian Clubs to make it to the Champions League their will be money to support their journey. Everyone loves the underdog!!!!

I know, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Everyone needs a dream....and its time more Canadians to get on board.

To be # 1 in hockey when maybe 6-10 nations play the sport is really nothing to brag about.

I think we are # 1 in Lacross, don't get me wrong, I love Lacross, but only a handfull of nations play.

Can't wait till we can say we are a top 40 Nation in soccer when over 200 nations play, and everyone on the forum had something to do with the growth of soccer in this nation!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

League1 Ontario has announced Oakville Blue Devils (formerly Toronto Lynx), Sanjaxx Lions and Pro Stars FC to join for 2015.

Are these 3 new teams fully amatuer like the rest of the L1 Ontario clubs or are any semi-pro? I suspect the latter.

Hopefully year 3 will see the league raising standards to enforce teams slowly moving to the semi-pro classification in the standards. Allowing the league clubs to start out as amatuer seems to have been out of necessity possibly when they couldn't get enough or any teams to join as semi-pro with the 20K salary minimum. Not being able to draw in any CSL teams has been disappointing as the CSL continues on as usual mostly even without sanctioning. TFC Academy and FC London didn't want to join L1O this year because of the level of play but without these teams joining its hard to bring up that level of play and attract true semi-pro clubs.

Having some CSL teams enter L1 Ontario, TFC Academy back in the league, and the Ontario PDL teams also added next season would help raise the quality of the league and help in turning it into a true semi-pro league. Otherwise I don't see the league making the jump into semi-pro in the next few years and can see it continueing as an amatuer GTA league only.

Even simpler, re-brand them all League 1 - [insert province/region] and work together on an integrated league cup competition and inclusion in the VCup.

The could start with League 1 - Central, League 1 - Quebec, League 1 - Pacific and maybe add League 1 - Praries and League 1 Atlantic or whatever they liked.

I like this idea so long as each regional league is operating under the same set of standards/criteria for entry; thereby meeting "Canadian Division III" standards (I'm presuming that's what L1O is currently doing but correct me if I'm wrong). I think a final champions cup competition featuring the champs of each regional league with the winner gaining entry to the V-Cup would be pretty neat. 

Archived