Ben McKendry

Dub Narcotic

2 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

NASL and USL definitely have different playing styles. NASL is full of veterans to learn from. They play a more strategic kind of soccer, more planned and less mistakes. USL is more talented and younger, but of course they make more mistakes. I just hope that Collin Miller doesn't squash the creativity out of him. A lot of people who play for Collin Miller are forced to play a scrappy kind of soccer that involves very little skill and often stunts their growth as a player. That's the way it seems to me anyways. Players don't seem to get better once they come to Edmonton, they get worse...

That happens at WC too. 

BTW, wouldn't you say that your namesake Fisk is an exception, or was when he came at first?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That happens at WC too. 

BTW, wouldn't you say that your namesake Fisk is an exception, or was when he came at first?

Fisk and Shome are two exceptions. But i wouldn't say that is because of coaching. It is because of talent and the fact that they both came when they were young. Fisk shows so many signs of being a talented winger that could play at a higher level then the NASL. The problem is there are games where he hardly gets the ball. CM forces everyone to play defines for 70% of the game. The team regularly finishes games with around 30% possession. It is hard to develop attacking players with that many touches. Not to mention the strategy seems to be kick and chase and that doesn't really encourage creativity. 

Hopefully with the combination of Corea, Nyassi, Fisk, Mckendry, and Fordyce the team can get more creative in the attack again. Fisk has been their only creative player for a large part of the year with the injuries to Corea and Nyassi. 

5 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Do you think the burden of proof lies with me here?

No, i'm just asking a simple question. Defensive discipline aside, has anyone ever become a more skilled soccer player from being coached by Miller?

Looks like McKendry sees the move to Edmonton as a step up as well. Interesting comment regarding staying at the same level for three years, which I'm probably looking into too much.

https://the11.ca/mckendry-sees-move-from-usl-to-fc-edmonton-as-a-step-up-the-ladder/

"You don’t develop as a young player by staying at the same level for three years,” said McKendry.” You have to challenge yourself and put yourself in uncomfortable situations and situations that are different. And that’s how you grow.

“I definitely think it’s a move up for where I’m at in my career. USL is a league that has a lot more younger players, players that are coming out of academies. And so the move to Edmonton and being in the NASL will be about being amongst more manly players, players who have more experience, players who are physically stronger and have a lot more experience in the game.”

On 7/26/2017 at 7:57 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

You nailed me there, gotta admit it. 

For me, it has to be a club policy that they express to their coaching staff, there is no other way. Otherwise a coach will just try to win his way and developing local youth be damned. I say this as, for example, the famous Masia at Barça is doing crappy lately, or let's say not so great, simply because they are not using it properly. You have to hire your coach with a few aims in mind: doing better than before, winning, playing attractively, featuring Canadians and working hard to get your academy kids into the mix. Robinson has done none of those four. He is just a nice guy with a pretty face that the FO feels comfy with.

Robbo has only taken a risk on Davies, and now Nerwinski, this year. No other kid more likely to be on WC2 has gotten a bite.

What bugs me is the short leash given to young Canadians - one bad game and you're out (Froese, Teibert, Adekugbe). If you're a "veteran" you can have a full season of horrors and there are no repercussions. 

7 hours ago, jpg75 said:

No, i'm just asking a simple question. Defensive discipline aside, has anyone ever become a more skilled soccer player from being coached by Miller?

O I got one: Matt van Oekel. And thinking about goalies, I think it's safe to say Smits improved as well. And their current goalkeeper is also doing well I guess. Shome improved massively.

But let me ask you a question: which player improved greatly after he left Edmonton? You know if it's all about Miller, surely some players must have shown him he was wrong. I can't think of any though...

7 minutes ago, shamrock said:

O I got one: Matt van Oekel. And thinking about goalies, I think it's safe to say Smits improved as well. And their current goalkeeper is also doing well I guess. Shome improved massively.

But let me ask you a question: which player improved greatly after he left Edmonton? You know if it's all about Miller, surely some players must have shown him he was wrong. I can't think of any though...

Can I add Lance Laing to the list...much better production in Edmonton than the previous years with the Strikers.

Having seen quite a bit of the N Irish league over the years, I'd say Watson and probably Fordyce too have upped their game since crossing the pond.

Corea may be another, as his career was heading down to nothingness before joining the eddies.

On players that have improved since leaving - not Hanson, and while getting game time at a lower level (USL :)) I am not sure we can even say Mallon Roberts has greatly improved.

2 hours ago, shamrock said:

Wasn't van Oekel coming off a couple of good seasons in Minnesota when he signed with FCE. Then he had a poor first season with FCE but rebounded to his previous form the second season. Not sure he really improved under Miller any more than any player would when they are getting playing time. 

13 hours ago, yothat said:

Mallan Roberts starts game in and game out in the USL. Lance Laing is having a NASL Best 11 season in Carolina. 

Corea will be an over-acheiver 

Point was Laing also had that type of season in Edmonton, and didn't play nearly as well before coming to the Eddies. That he has carried on his good form is testament that he improved (or picked up his level) while with Colin Miller.

It's almost impossible to answer the original question - "has anyone ever become a more skilled soccer player from being coached by Miller?" I'm not defended the coach or saying he's the reason Lance improved his form - I have no idea - but just stating what seems to be unconverted facts. Laing stepped up his game while at Edmonton and has continued to play at that level.  Like I said, Corea is in a much better spot now as well.

Edmonton does do a great job of developing goal keepers. Half because of their goal coach and half because of the number of shots they allow each game...

But talking about Mckendry. I was at the game today and he subbed in in the second half. He came in for Ledgerwood and honestly did a better job then him. He won quite a few balls back and has great interplay in the middle of the park. His one touch passing to get out of tough situations and create space offensively is really good. He isn't a flashy player but he definitely is a strong player at this level. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived