Ben McKendry

Dub Narcotic

CM, signed by the Whitecaps today to a MLS homegrown contract from the University of New Mexico.

Date of Birth: March 25, 1993 in Vancouver, British Columbia
Hometown: Vancouver, British Columbia
Citizenship: Canada / New Zealand

* Played all levels with the Whitecaps academy.

* Spent three years at UNM, All-American one year, All-Conference twice, one final four appearance.

* Played PDL and trained summers with the 'caps.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...

Wouldn't totally agree. He's been consistently the Whitecaps2 strongest central mid and was starting to take charge of the team's offense as well when this injury happened.

Projects as a holding mid and on the Whitecaps he is fifth on the depth chart behind Laba, Koffie, Teibert and Flores. It's quite possible Laba will be sold by next season and I can see McKendry starting to get into the rotation for the MLS side at that point.

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Nothing against the kid, but he's 23, under contract for over 2 years without a single MLS-minute. He get's great encouragement from conversations with the coach, but the guy won't play him. Get a nice loan to FC Edmonton or whatever, pull a Tissot so the speak, cause at the 'Caps, it ain't happenin.  

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, gator said:

I thought him and Teibert played quite well as a DM pairing, not much either could do on the goals!

I thought Teibert was almost 100% at fault on one of the goals. He, in general, looked like a poor version of Laba through much of the second half - even adopted that strange gait every time he charged out.  McKendry looked to be the one with all of the MLS experience under his belt; a great debut.

2 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Possession was 80% in favour of San Jose, I don't think you can judge much from that game.

Difficult to judge his abilities in possession, but we sure saw a lot of what he offers defensively. Isn't that important?

Is Teibert going to be the required Canadian Whipping boy on this Canadian team? The entire team was horrible. There should have been even more goals. If anybody was to blame it is Ousted. He made the bad decision. The whole Whitecaps team was chasing the ball the entire game.

McKendry didnt look out of place for a guy getting his first minutes.  And its unfair to say the team was horrible etc, after the red card they were always going to be on the back foot but they looked great before that.  Hopefully both Tiebert and Mckendry can gain some confidence off a decent showing and keep FLores and Jacobson nailed to the bench.  

3 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Is Teibert going to be the required Canadian Whipping boy on this Canadian team? The entire team was horrible. There should have been even more goals. If anybody was to blame it is Ousted. He made the bad decision. The whole Whitecaps team was chasing the ball the entire game.

And Waston for deciding to go for the header that was clearly Dean's ball, when he should've been tracking his man. Waston's the most over-rated player on the Caps, if not the league. Ever since O'Brian retired he's been a game loosing mental mistake waiting to happen. 

... but I digress...

Ben looked good except late in the game as the whole team tired from chasing the game with only 10 players. Not as good a debut as Davies but still great to see another academy player look good on their debut. 

Russ? I think he is trying to do the Laba shuffle step on approach to ball holder. That is a good way to keep the player in front of you because they don't know which way to go as you are not committing. It is also a difficult way to run so takes a lot of practice.

Archived