2015 CONCACAF U20 Championship - January 12 - Canada vs. Mexico [R]

DJT

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having watched Adekugbe play a lot, I am a huge fan. Today was the perhaps the worst performance I have seen from him. I hope it isn't injury related and he can respond.

Interestingly, he was on Twitter after the match retweeting a bunch of the tweets that were critical of his performance. Had to chuckle at that. Hopefully he's using those as motivation.

Serban was much better despite being a CIS player. He got beat sometimes too but did very well to recover while Adekube was just getting beat outright and completely losing his man. Hard to make a judgement on only one game but hopefully we now have one good right back coming up through the system and hopefully he will find a better place to develop than UBC.

Does anybody know if the rules will allow him to play for Whitecaps 2 through the spring and summer before returning to UBC in the fall?

Interestingly, he was on Twitter after the match retweeting a bunch of the tweets that were critical of his performance. Had to chuckle at that. Hopefully he's using those as motivation.

That suggests that he's either a) mentally very strong, and taking the poor performance in stride, or b ) a bit clueless and/or wierd.

He'd probably have come into this tournament with sky-high confidence after captaining the side on the successful tour before Christmas and having successful training stints with Rangers and Liverpool. Hopefully, this performance will ensure that his feet stay firmly planted on the ground and he kicks on to fulfill his undoubted potential.

That guy Petrasso can't shoot straight.  He may have some running speed but for what.

"Running speed" allows him to advance the ball further up the pitch either through dribbling or getting into dangerous positions.  Although he can't shoot straight the rules of football allow him to pass/cross to a teammate when he is further up the pitch so maybe there is hope for his running speed yet.  If he can shoot straight, look out... by the way he can.

Guest ClaytonA

Does anybody know if the rules will allow him to play for Whitecaps 2 through the spring and summer before returning to UBC in the fall?

Almost positive the answer is yes, as several UBC players were playing along side paid players on the Whitecaps USL PDL Pro team the last few years.

I also vaguely recall something about it being pretty common to have USL-1 players on amateur contracts at least in Canada since the CIS rules are different than NCAA.

Wind looked to be a real factor in that first half, the first goal in particular.

Also, the folks at putting together the highlight package really, really, really liked Wirth's diving second half stop.

They should.  Its a beauty. 

Very nice.

Almost positive the answer is yes, as several UBC players were playing along side paid players on the Whitecaps USL PDL Pro team the last few years.

I also vaguely recall something about it being pretty common to have USL-1 players on amateur contracts at least in Canada since the CIS rules are different than NCAA.

I have some friends who played on cape breton and mcmaster cis as well as playing pdl pro in the summer. Not sure if eligibility rules are the same for usl pro

Having watched Adekugbe play a lot, I am a huge fan. Today was the perhaps the worst performance I have seen from him. I hope it isn't injury related and he can respond.

This might also have something to do with match-fitness. A guy playing in CIS is probably fitter than someone who's on a break between seasons, especially when it's a second game in two days. I think in this upcoming third match, we'll see a lot of rotations.

Oddly Adekugbe logged onto twitter and retweeted every comment he was mentioned in today (good and bad).

I both tweeted that he'd forgotten how to defend, and that he is honestly a promising young left back who we weren't seeing at his best. He only retweeted the insult. Calgarians, huh?

This is was a good measuring stick against the top team in our region. This reality check isn't the worst thing in the world.

Should read: This is was a good measuring stick against the top team in the world.

We made them sweat. I am pretty critical of most of the performance but at the end of the day, we competed with one of the best in CONCACAF. We even had some very good chances to level the game. Onward and Upward to Glory. 

Should read: I am pretty critical of most of the performance but at the end of the day, we competed with one of the best in the world.

A little perspective helps, I think.

My understanding is the Serban is signed to a USL Pro deal.

Globe article about Larin being picked #1. Interesting statement from article was

There was speculation Larin would enter the draft after his freshman year. But he wanted to prolong his college experience — at least for another season.

He made up his mind last October, after coming in the 82nd minute of Canada’s game against Colombia at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J.

“That just opened my eyes and I knew I wanted to leave that year,” Larin said. “That was the decision right there.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/canadian-cyle-larin-described-as-a-class-act-on-and-off-the-field/article22428125/

Archived