2015 CONCACAF U20 Championship - January 12 - Canada vs. Mexico [R]

DJT

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

our hype guys, Larin and Boakai, did nothing.

we were toothless altogether aside from set plays.

Not true. We had a few strikers from 20 yrs out that curled just wide. Petrasso shouldve buried as well.

Larin and Bokai had 20 mins. Not much time

Mexico is one of the favorites to win the whole thing in new zealand and we were missing 2 of our top players

In a match like that you need to be clinical, if we were we could have had a draw it was there for the taking.  Not a bad performance definitely not one to dwell on.  We are where we should be at the moment and the next 3 matches decide our fate.

Like everyone else I was really impressed by Wirth. What I liked is even beyond the good saves, on all the plays where the Mexicans missed the net he was always well positioned even 1 on 1 forcing them to place the ball well if they were going to score which contributed to them missing the net.

While it is only one game and he was playing against a very strong striker, Adekugbe was really poor and what is most disappointing is how he was poor: poor positioning, not hurrying to get back when he joined the attack, getting continually beat in the same manner. Serban was much better despite being a CIS player. He got beat sometimes too but did very well to recover while Adekube was just getting beat outright and completely losing his man. Hard to make a judgement on only one game but hopefully we now have one good right back coming up through the system and hopefully he will find a better place to develop than UBC.

Hamilton did look good the few times he got the ball. Petrasso showed a few moves but had to pass the ball during that rush. Can't say anyone else impressed me much or was really poor, the Mexicans were just a better team. Of course, I was hoping we would tie it but it would have not really reflected the play during the match. If we had played the whole game like we played the 2nd half maybe we could have managed to get a tie but hard to say if we were actually better in the 2nd or it was because the Mexicans held back after taking the lead.

I also think we should mention the excellent reffing job since we so often criticize CONCACAF refs (with good reason). Ref was very fair and did not fall for any Mexican trickery. I would be happy if all our matches were reffed that way in both U20 and Men's WCQ. There is still a lot of poor reffing in CONCACAF but I have seen some signs in the last few years that it is starting to get better.

Compare that performance to 2011 qualifying against Mexico and we've come very far.  We are actually trying to play football.. in 2011 we didn't even get a sniff you knew the match was over as soon as Mexico went up.  Today we tried to work the ball and create, sometimes a little too much where you would wish we pulled the trigger.. and on the other hand as Grizz mentioned Petrasso really should have passed on that break, there was a real chance.

We didn't react as quickly as the Mexicans did to plays and that left us exposed.  I'd say our two biggest weaknesses today were anticipation/positioning and decision making with the ball.

Thanks for the highlights, I missed the first half because of work! Although both defenders got taken to the cleaners on their first goal, you can see that lad has some class about him and will be a handful for many a defender at this level, maybe the Haitians will try to break his leg with their wild tackles! Hamilton really should have done better with his header and Petrasso needed to pass the ball when he had the chance! I thought there was potential to really take a beating in this match but in the end even though we were out played, we kept it close!

Archived