Nikola Paunic

Dub Narcotic

* CB at USF.

* Played with: Serbian White Eagles (product of their academy) and TFC Academy in the CSL as well as the University of Toronto for at least a season and made an appearance for the TFC reserves as well.

* Invited to MLS combine, ranked #41 on TDS's 'Big Board'

* Played PDL with K-W United.

* At a U-20 camp but no official caps.

TFC may have a homegrown claim on him, and they do need center backs. They may be able to grab him in the second round if not, I don't see a huge difference, although without having seen either play, between he and Skylar Thomas in terms of their resumes. They are even the same size.

BTW, congrats to @welltoldtales for calling Paunic, Thomas and Ononye as possible pros from this summer's K-W United team. All will have a chance to get drafted this year. Even better is @juby and @Greatest Cockney Rip Off, who both had good things to say about Paunic during the 2012(!) CSL season.

So, in the mould of Vidic then?

It's always the case in Canada and the USA that it's mainly those with a Former-Yougoslav background who fly the flag for Soccer. (though in Toronto it was mainly the Coratians)

Dare I say this, but will he remain committed to Canada? Hope so, on the evidence of Serb Aussies being more likely to represent Australia than Croat Aussies.

So, in the mould of Vidic then?

It's always the case in Canada and the USA that it's mainly those with a Former-Yougoslav background who fly the flag for Soccer. (though in Toronto it was mainly the Coratians)

Dare I say this, but will he remain committed to Canada? Hope so, on the evidence of Serb Aussies being more likely to represent Australia than Croat Aussies.

Well. With Borjan, Jakovic comitted to Canada it wouldn't surprise me. The US also have a # of younger Balkan players who are committed to their program. Seems that the younger generation (Begovic and Subotc being exceptions) enjoy being with the programs of their countries that raised them.

That's reassuring.

I haven't followed Soccer in Canada for ages. (I heard you guys got hammered 8-1 in Honduras and couldn't believe it had come to that)

Panama; who Canada beat in 2000; nearly denied Mexico a world Cup place in the Hex. And that was because of two late USA goals. Yet it was Costa Rica that stole the show from a CONCACAF perspective. (yet Bryan Ruiz couldn't get arrested with Fulham)

Football, Bloody Hell!

That's reassuring.

I haven't followed Soccer in Canada for ages. (I heard you guys got hammered 8-1 in Honduras and couldn't believe it had come to that)

Panama; who Canada beat in 2000; nearly denied Mexico a world Cup place in the Hex. And that was because of two late USA goals. Yet it was Costa Rica that stole the show from a CONCACAF perspective. (yet Bryan Ruiz couldn't get arrested with Fulham)

Football, Bloody Hell!

Yes it has been a terrible lowpoint for us recently. But with a good coach and some promising youngsters things are looking better than they have in a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived