Montreal vs. Pachucha in Mexico 24 Feb 2015

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm torn between being annoyed that the Impact are now validated with a result despite not playing any Canadians, and pumped for the semifinals. Guess I just can't get fully on board for the Impact.

That pass from Mallace though, wow. Also thought Oduro and Reo-Coker were atrocious in the first half (didn't watch the second)

I'm torn between being annoyed that the Impact are now validated with a result despite not playing any Canadians, and pumped for the semifinals. Guess I just can't get fully on board for the Impact.

That pass from Mallace though, wow. Also thought Oduro and Reo-Coker were atrocious in the first half (didn't watch the second)

I suspect that any success any of the Canadian MLS teams have this year will feel tainted for those of us who care about Canadian players getting to play. I don't imagine Vancouver or Toronto will have many nights where they feature more than one Canadian in the starting eleven either.

I imagine you are correct, jonovision. To me, the success of Canadian MLS clubs is meaningless if Canadians are not contributing to the success. Of course, these are not my local clubs so any attachment to these clubs would have had to come from somewhere else.

I've been preparing myself to call this a write off year for Canadians in MLS, and am more excited about the development of folks in NASL and USL. In fact, I have a sneaky suspicion that the Whitecaps might be the pleasant surprise in terms of who begins to get minutes that wasn't getting minutes in 2014. That's saying something...

I imagine you are correct, jonovision. To me, the success of Canadian MLS clubs is meaningless if Canadians are not contributing to the success. Of course, these are not my local clubs so any attachment to these clubs would have had to come from somewhere else.

I've been preparing myself to call this a write off year for Canadians in MLS, and am more excited about the development of folks in NASL and USL. In fact, I have a sneaky suspicion that the Whitecaps might be the pleasant surprise in terms of who begins to get minutes that wasn't getting minutes in 2014. That's saying something...

I think you're right regarding the Whitecaps. They have two players who could conceivably start games for them (Teibert and Adekugbe although I imagine Harvey is still Robinson's preferred left back) and others that might be less than a year away (Bustos, for example), although past history does not provide reason for hope.

Although I generally agree with this, I will say the academies of MLS Canadian clubs are bringing about positive change. I mean our whole "Whitecaps hate Canada" thing has finally produced the desired result, an academy producing talented kids. The spine of the current U17 in Whitecaps players. Saying that, these kids need to start getting into the pro-ranks soon.

Congrats to Montreal, that was one of the most exciting results I've ever watched. 

Notes:

- Reo Coker was an absolute monster, is he suspended vs. Alajuense?  I noticed that on artificial turf he is unbelievable, because of the battles due to bouncing balls and his already heavy touch at times and runaway train/big body style he absolutely kills it out there. 

- Montreal was extremely lucky let's be honest the gap between MLS and FMF is pretty significant and obvious.  Watching the match as an MLS fan is frustrating because you can tell the speed is far too slow and that they need to be quicker mentally to control the match.  Montreal started to do this, they were anitcipating instead of reacting and getting results for a solid 20 minutes.  Ultimately the tying goal was a stroke of brilliance/luck and an incredible moment.

- It's funny how North American players tend to be most influential in these matches.

To be fair, Pachuca is in mid season form, while IMFC is coming out of training camp, playing it's second competitive match.

I suspect that any success any of the Canadian MLS teams have this year will feel tainted for those of us who care about Canadian players getting to play. I don't imagine Vancouver or Toronto will have many nights where they feature more than one Canadian in the starting eleven either.

Ah well, it's a long season, things can change. That goes for all 3 clubs. 

I thought Reo Coker was awful. Reminded me of his ever worsening play in Vancouver. And there appeared to be very little chemistry between him and Donadel. They need to get on the same page if Montreal are going to have continued success.

I’ve just came home from Montreal as I watched the game live. This is how I read the game: Koplas wanted to defend the 2-2 result in Mexico defending deep in the Impact zone and kill the game with goal from a counterattack. While I don’t disagree with his tactics, this not the way I like to see a team defend and with a little bit of luck, Montreal could have scored. Pachuca on the other side had a very aggressive approach from the very start with a high pressing starting from the attackers (this is the way I like to see a team defend, especially when your rival is the favourite to win the game). Even their 4-4-2 formation became often a 2-4-4 formation.

Montreal was supposed to play 4-2-3-1 but it looked almost always a 4-1-4-1 because Reo-Cocker was a lazy player and very irresponsible with his defending role. That’s why I was very surprised that the first sub was Donadel out for Mallace. IMO Donadel had a strong game and it should have been Reo-Cocker out for Mallace. The other player that didn’t have a good night was the RB, Cabrera, but I think it was mostly because of dysfunctional midfield. Montreal lacked solidarity in that zone and Cabrera often beaten in a 1v1 against the left winger. At times, Mapp had to help Cabrera since no one in the midfield was helping the RB.

After Pachuca’s goal, they did something I didn’t expect; they started to speculate about the result and started to defend deep in their zone like the Impact did all the game and Montreal, in all their desperation managed to tie the game in the last seconds of the 2nd half.

Conclusion: Koplas adopted a dangerous strategy against a typical strong Mexican side by MLS standards. The other thing that bothers me is that Koplas didn’t see the problems in the defending system and didn’t make the necessary subs to address the situation. Koplas should say ‘thank you’ to Porter for saving his ass from his horrible tactics.

I thought Reo Coker was awful. Reminded me of his ever worsening play in Vancouver. And there appeared to be very little chemistry between him and Donadel. They need to get on the same page if Montreal are going to have continued success.

Echo that.  Know its very, very, early days yet but still. Ug.

I must say I share your thoughts. I don't believe in MLS as it stands now. But the blame goes to the three Canadian clubs for not putting enough effort to their Academy players, or worse, creating an a difficult obstacle to overcome. Bryce Alderson is an example of what I mean by that. It's good to give him some competition but Bryce Alderson had compete against 3 or 4 other non Canadians players to get some playing time.

I hope the Impact could win the actual CCL. That event alone would probably encourage the kids, increase the popularity of the sport and create quality players in the medium to long term.

Archived