2015 Ottawa Fury FC NASL Season

ironcub14

Possible XI?

Peiser; Richter, Rafael Alves, Falvey, Randolph; De Guzman, Ryan, Ubiparipovic; Haworth, Wiedeman, Paulo Jr.

Would be nice to see another couple Canadians starting for Ottawa but that's a pretty decent squad.

No Trafford in your 11?

If I'm not mistaken, that 11 is copy-and-pasted from the article.

Edit: this is the article I think it's from: https://offcreview.wordpress.com/2015/04/01/2015-ottawa-fury-fc-nasl-season-preview/

Hey guys, that XI Keegan posted, that was his and my guess for the strongest XI for the season as a whole, and I did write that season preview. Hope you guys found it interesting. Rafael Alves and Falvey's been getting more minutes from MDS than Trafford, so we're just predicting the team based on those preseason starts and minutes. Most of the preseason games have been closed doors or outside Ottawa with no streams, so we have very little to discern who's had the better preseason performances.

For the opener tmr though, both JDG and Ryan have not played any preseason games with the Fury the last 3 weeks, so I think Misik will start, along with one of Ryan or JDG. Should be a fun one.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caught up on twitter, and the latest from Hofley is that Ryan is almost certainly out and JDG is expected to start tomorrow!

Also, the one other news from today is that Ubi is a gametime decision. Poltronieri will be likely to come in mid if Ubi is out. Surprising, I'd have expected Trafford or Beckie to come in at DM and push JDG to RCM if Ubi was out.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/04/04/fury-loses-season-opener

A lot about bad calls of the ref. I can see how it can be frustrating, but nothing about missing that penalty? IMO THAT was the pivotal moment of the game, if Haworth (why not Wiedeman?) had scored, the other penalty would have never been given. And all in all Fury played a disappointing first half.

Nice to see that Mohamed Dagnogo has indeed signed for Fury FC. 

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/04/04/fury-loses-season-opener

A lot about bad calls of the ref. I can see how it can be frustrating, but nothing about missing that penalty? IMO THAT was the pivotal moment of the game, if Haworth (why not Wiedeman?) had scored, the other penalty would have never been given. And all in all Fury played a disappointing first half.

Nice to see that Mohamed Dagnogo has indeed signed for Fury FC.

I agree. Fury was given a soft penalty that wasn't converted. The effect of the other questionable penalty would have been negated had Haworth scored.

Putting excessive blame on referees doesn't often make much sense. Those types of calls should (ideally) even out over the course of a season.

2015 Fury FC NASL Season – Matchday 1 – Carolina vs Ottawa Review

2015 Fury FC NASL Season – Matchday 1 – Carolina RailHawks vs. Ottawa Fury FC Review – 3-1 L

When: Saturday, April 4, 2015 @ 1:00pm EDT

Where: WakeMed Soccer Park, Cary, NC. Watch on Rogers TV Ottawa 22, TSN Go, OttawaFuryFC.com

Ottawa Injuries and Absences: M Phil Davies, DM Richie Ryan, AM Sinisa Ubiparipovic (out – injury); DM Mauro Eustaquio, CM Nicki Paterson, F Oliver (out – suspension); GK Waleed Cassis (out – registration); F Mohamed Dagnogo (in – registration); CM Julian de Guzman (in – fitness)

Ottawa (4-3-3) (L to R) – Peiser © 7; Randolph 6, Falvey 4, Rafael Alves 6, Richter 7; de Guzman 5, Beckie 5 (Heinemann 63′, 6), Misik 6 (Poltronieri 82′, 8); Paulo Jr. 8, Wiedeman 6, Haworth 6

Ottawa Subs Not Used – DeBellis, Trafford, Dagnogo

Carolina (4-5-1) – Gilstrap, Wagner, Tobin, Scott, Knight, Anderson (Coleman 79′), Osaki, Albadawi, Hlavaty, Shipalane, Novo (Bracalello 72′)

Ottawa Goals/Assists – Poltronieri (Paulo Jr.) 83′

Carolina Goals – Shipalane 12′, Novo 30′, Bracalello 91′

Ottawa Red Card – De Guzman 93′

2015 Fury FC NASL Season – Matchday 2 – Atlanta Silverbacks FC vs. Ottawa Fury FC Preview

When: Saturday, April 11, 2015 @ 7:30pm EDT

Where: Atlanta Silverbacks Park, Atlanta, GA (Watch at OttawaFuryFC.com, Rogers TV 22, RogersTV.com, TSN Go; Listen at TSN 1200 AM)

Ottawa Injuries and Suspensions: CM Phil Davies, DM Richie Ryan, AM Sinisa Ubiparipovic, LW Paulo Jr. (out – injury); CM Julian de Guzman (out – suspension)

Ottawa Returnees: DM Mauro Eustaquio, CM Nicki Paterson, LW Oliver (in – return from suspension)

Ottawa Probable Matchday Squad – Peiser, DeBellis; Randolph, Poltronieri, Falvey, Trafford, Rafael Alves, Beckie, Richter; Misik, Eustaquio, Paterson; Oliver, Wiedeman, Heinemann, Haworth, Dagnogo

Atlanta Previous Matchday Lineup – 1-1 D – (4-4-2) – Cochran; Black, Mensing, Mckenzie, Miller; Okafor (Sousa), Oppong, Reed, Porter; Bangura (Gautrat), Horth (Chavez)

Atlanta Players to Watch: Kyle Porter, Jon Okafor, Shaka Bangura

2015 Fury FC NASL Season – Matchday 2 – Atlanta Silverbacks FC vs. Ottawa Fury FC Preview

Where: Atlanta Silverbacks Park, Atlanta, GA (Watch at OttawaFuryFC.com, Rogers TV 22, RogersTV.com, TSN Go; Listen at TSN 1200 AM)

Ottawa Injuries and Suspensions: CM Phil Davies, DM Richie Ryan, AM Sinisa Ubiparipovic, LW Paulo Jr. (out – injury); CM Julian de Guzman (out – suspension)

Ottawa Returnees: DM Mauro Eustaquio, CM Nicki Paterson, LW Oliver (in – return from suspension)

Ottawa Probable Matchday Squad – Peiser, DeBellis; Randolph, Poltronieri, Falvey, Trafford, Rafael Alves, Beckie, Richter; Misik, Eustaquio, Paterson; Oliver, Wiedeman, Heinemann, Haworth, Dagnogo

Atlanta Previous Matchday Lineup – 1-1 D – (4-4-2) – Cochran; Black, Mensing, Mckenzie, Miller; Okafor (Sousa), Oppong, Reed, Porter; Bangura (Gautrat), Horth (Chavez)

Atlanta Players to Watch: Kyle Porter, Jon Okafor, Shaka Bangura

Will be watching this one, will be interesting to see how former Eddies Porter and Oppong do for Atlanta.

2015 Fury FC NASL Season – Matchday 2 – Atlanta Silverbacks FC vs. Ottawa Fury FC Review – 1-1 D

Where: Atlanta Silverbacks Park, Atlanta, GA

Ottawa (4-2-3-1) – Peiser 8; Randolph 5, Falvey 5, Rafael Alves 7, Richter 6; Paterson 8, Misik 7 (Beckie 76′, 7); Poltronieri 7 (Eustaquio 86′, N/A), Oliver 7 (Wiedeman 74′, 7), Haworth 6; Heinemann 7

Ottawa Unused Subs: DeBellis, Trafford

Atlanta (4-4-2) – Cochran, Black, Mensing, McKenzie, Miller, Okafor (Denissen 66′), Reed, Oppong (Sawchak 88′), Porter, Horth (Chavez 71′), Bangura

Ottawa Goal/Assist – Paterson 33′

Atlanta Goal – Porter 56′

2015 Fury FC NASL Season – Matchday 3 – Ottawa Fury FC vs. Minnesota United FC Preview

When: Saturday, April 18, 2015 @ 3:00pm EDT

Where: TD Place Stadium, Lansdowne Park, Ottawa, ON (Watch at OttawaFuryFC.com, Rogers TV 22, RogersTV.com, TSN Go, ESPN 3; Listen at TSN 1200 AM, 94,5 Unique FM)

Ottawa Injuries and Suspensions: CM Phil Davies (out – arm)

Ottawa Returnees: LW Paulo Jr. (short-term knock – return to starting lineup); DM Richie Ryan, AM Sinisa Ubiparipovic (mid-term injury – return to bench); CM Julian de Guzman (1-game suspension)

Minnesota Previous Matchday Lineup – 0-0 D – (4-1-4-1) – Ndjock; Davis, Calvano, Dias, Venegas; Pitchkolan; Steele, Ibarra, Ibson, Mendes; Ramirez

Minnesota Players to Watch: Cristian Ramirez, Miguel Ibarra, Ibson

Steady. From the first two games, he's fit well with NASL's level of play. Hasn't looked out of place at all imo. His future is promising.

He was probably the biggest revelation for Fury during the preseason for the fans, very little was expected by many from him. Settling into NASL, will only get better.

Fury FC possible starting lineup, from Fury Fanatic on Thursday: 4-2-3-1: Peiser; Richter, Rafael Alves, Falvey, Randolph; de Guzman, Paterson; Haworth, Oliver, Paulo Jr.; Heinemann.

I myself would like to see Trafford get a look over Falvey, and Wiedeman over Heinemann. Ryan and Ubi will likely start off the bench due to their previous knocks.

Question for the individuals in Ottawa. I remember last year before the season began and even before TD Place opened, people here were saying how there was literally no marketing presence for the Fury what so ever. Is that still the case in Ottawa?

Question for the individuals in Ottawa. I remember last year before the season began and even before TD Place opened, people here were saying how there was literally no marketing presence for the Fury what so ever. Is that still the case in Ottawa?

I find its still largely the case. There's a small amount of marketing going on, but nothing that looks like much effort is being put into. There were some bus shelter adds around town during last summer's World Cup which I personally liked (with a Fury player wearing a t-shirt showing their national side, but holding up a Fury scarf) with the slogan 'Cheer Global, Support Local'. I think that was their best large-scale marketing. Everything else doesn't really reach potential fans.

On the bright side, I do find the supporters groups are great at marketing the matchday experience (although I am biased). The supporters section is growing, becoming more organic, and is a blast to be in. After yesterday's win over Minnesota, several of the players came over and climbed into the section. One of them joined in on jumping and singing with supporters. It was a class act, and contributes to a sense of community that the players are establishing with supporters and general fanbase. Because they aren't a large team, the sense of community between players, supporters, and general fans has a chance to develop.

The media treats them as an afterthought, but that is nothing new in Canadian footy. With the Sens in the playoffs, they can forget about coverage until hockey is finished. The V's Cup game next Wednesday will be ignored because the Sens are playing 'Game 4'. After hockey, its back to minimal coverage from a few reporters. And, obviously, once CFL starts, they're forgotten again.

I really do think the club owes a lot of its marketability to its supporters. The energy and committment shown from the supporters section makes people come back. People who have a great time there also become hooked on the matchday experience.

Archived