2015 Ottawa Fury FC NASL Season

ironcub14

On the one hand Marc dos Santos, being a frenchist, hates Canada by definition. But on the other hand Ottawa did play their Canadians and most of them were shit, so at least he has grounds for his statement. Even my favourite, Phil Davies, didn't deliver the goods consistently enough. They've kept the one Canadian I absolutely would have kept, Haworth.

EDIT: I'd give a lot of thought to keeping Trafford too; they aren't all writeoffs. But in general?

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the one hand Marc dos Santos, being a frenchist, hates Canada by definition. But on the other hand Ottawa did play their Canadians and most of them were shit, so at least he has grounds for his statement. Even my favourite, Phil Davies, didn't deliver the goods consistently enough. They've kept the one Canadian I absolutely would have kept, Haworth.

EDIT: I'd give a lot of thought to keeping Trafford too; they aren't all writeoffs. But in general?

Dos Santos loves Canada and it is no secret that he would love to be involved in the Canadian national team program at some stage in his career. There were quite a few good performances by Canadians this year. I have a feeling Ben, that you didn't have a NASL Live subscription, because it doesn't sound like you watched any of the games. If I am wrong, I apologize in advance.

Dos Santos loves Canada and it is no secret that he would love to be involved in the Canadian national team program at some stage in his career. There were quite a few good performances by Canadians this year. I have a feeling Ben, that you didn't have a NASL Live subscription, because it doesn't sound like you watched any of the games. If I am wrong, I apologize in advance.

When I saw the Fury play in Edmonton I watched Hanson Boakai make Drew Beckie look like Rob Friend as a wingback, over and over again. Beckie looked so overmatched, I *almost* felt sorry for him, and then I didn't.

Fussball_eh, name the Canadian players you felt had a good performance to be a part of Ottawa this year.

Davies was a non-expectantly versatile player, that surprised everybody. Trafford and Beckie was the best centre-back pairing. Not without their flaws, but I wouldn't go as far as calling them "shit". Carl Haworth showed how much potential he has and Eustiquio, although young and inexperienced, showed that he can step up and play an important role in the defensive midfield. Those are the positives players. I will agree, that there were some Canadians that disappointed. Andres Fresenga comes to mind...

When I saw the Fury play in Edmonton I watched Hanson Boakai make Drew Beckie look like Rob Friend as a wingback, over and over again. Beckie looked so overmatched, I *almost* felt sorry for him, and then I didn't.

I could have sworn it was Jarun that Boakai made look bad that game, and it was one of the basis of my argument last season on why Jarun should be playing LCB instead of RCB, as the RCB often faces the quicker left wingers that like to cut inside for the shot, which Jarun isn't equipped to deal with at all. But wasn't that the game that had the problem with the stream or something?

I thought Beckie had the most solid season among the Fury Canadians, he really only had one or two weak games all season, I was really impressed by him most season. Haworth tried hard and had great hustle, but like somebody said upthread, his end product was missing. I wasn't high on Trafford at all, he is just too weak in the aerial duels for a NASL CB.

I thought Beckie had the most solid season among the Fury Canadians, he really only had one or two weak games all season, I was really impressed by him most season. Haworth tried hard and had great hustle, but like somebody said upthread, his end product was missing. I wasn't high on Trafford at all, he is just too weak in the aerial duels for a NASL CB.

Hey ironcub14:  Going into last season, I expected Phil Davies to be one of the top Fury players (apparently pretty technically capable). However, from what I've read during the season, he was average-at-best and used as a fill-in player (more than a core starter). Do you have any thoughts about him?

Hey ironcub14:  Going into last season, I expected Phil Davies to be one of the top Fury players (apparently pretty technically capable). However, from what I've read during the season, he was average-at-best and used as a fill-in player (more than a core starter). Do you have any thoughts about him?

For sure, I'm sure other guys like fussball_eh could also tell you what they thought about his play as well. I thought he was one of the best technical guys on the team, and he was definitely the best crosser on the team, in both open play and from set pieces. I didn't follow him much before the 2014 season, perhaps others here know how he was like at Vancouver and Richmond, but as a RW in our 4-3-3, his crossing was great and he could hold on to the ball well, but he couldn't beat his defender 1v1 often. As a fill-in RB when we had a injury situation with our fullbacks, he was hustling but sometimes caught out of position.

I thought that he naturally might be better as a RM in a 4-4-2 or even as a LW or a CM in the 4-3-3. It was hard to take advantage of his crossing when he wasn't fast enough to beat his defenders. Maybe Heinemann should have done a better job of getting on the end of his crosses. Davies definitely did start fewer games in the 2nd half of the season. I think he was in the top 2 or 3 in assists in the 1st half of the season, though. In a 4-3-3, which is Dos Santos's favoured formation, where would you put a player whose main asset is crossing and technique but not pacey? Maybe LW, to cut in and cross, but I think you need a dynamic guy who's willing to get in the box in addition to all that at LW, so I'm not sure.

Oliver and Davies confirmed

http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news/detail/uuid/1lc3ht7h665lrzusk51z8vl8t/fury-fc-re-sign-young-talents-oliver-and-davies

As of today, January 19, 2015 Fury FC have the following 15 players under contract:

Goalkeeper (2): Romuald Peiser, Marcel DeBellis

Defenders (4): Omar Jarun, Mason Trafford, Drew Beckie, Mike Randolph

Midfielders (5): Richie Ryan, Nicki Paterson, Mauro Eustaquio, Sinisa Ubiparipovic, Philippe Davies

Forwards (4): Tom Heinemann, Paulo Junior, Carl Haworth, Oliver

Oliver and Davies confirmed

http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news/detail/uuid/1lc3ht7h665lrzusk51z8vl8t/fury-fc-re-sign-young-talents-oliver-and-davies

As of today, January 19, 2015 Fury FC have the following 15 players under contract:

Goalkeeper (2): Romuald Peiser, Marcel DeBellis

Defenders (4): Omar Jarun, Mason Trafford, Drew Beckie, Mike Randolph

Midfielders (5): Richie Ryan, Nicki Paterson, Mauro Eustaquio, Sinisa Ubiparipovic, Philippe Davies

Forwards (4): Tom Heinemann, Paulo Junior, Carl Haworth, Oliver

Great to get Oliver re-signed, I did think he might get snatched up by another club.

I know they put Davies as a mid, but he's been playing RW mostly for us, so we technically have 5 forwards and 4 mids atm. There's a few more players that seem to be undergoing negotiations, and we need some more fullbacks, mids, and a CF.

Fury Academy will play in the Quebec Premier League. They haven't said where their games will be.

Does anyone know whether the U19 and U17 teams have been playing any friendlies and if so, how the teams look?  And what about those youth programs - I haven't heard much after the original announcement.

Does anyone know whether the U19 and U17 teams have been playing any friendlies and if so, how the teams look?  And what about those youth programs - I haven't heard much after the original announcement.

Not sure, I would guess they're going to school and training as usual? There hasn't been any announcements since the original, right? The one guy who is planning to cover the Academy sides closely and report on them is Stu, at @FuryFanatic, give him a follow. I think he's stuart.mac here.

I know that Ottawa has  played PLSQ teams three times. It was about 50% academy players and 50% First team players. (By first team, I don't mean starters, but players who were on the team) I know that they've lost to Longueuil and that they've beaten L'Assomption-Lanaudière. I can't remember what they did against Mont-Royal Outremont though.

I know that Ottawa has  played PLSQ teams three times. It was about 50% academy players and 50% First team players. (By first team, I don't mean starters, but players who were on the team) I know that they've lost to Longueuil and that they've beaten L'Assomption-Lanaudière. I can't remember what they did against Mont-Royal Outremont though.

This was last August/September, right?

Archived