canMNT vs Panama- Friendly Roster (Nov18)

king1010

Crewe Alexandra: Marcus Haber named in Canada squad for Panama game MARCUS Haber looks set to miss Crewe's home game with Chesterfield after being called up by Canada's national team.

It is Haber's third call-up to the national team since he joined the Alex in the summer.

He was an unused sub in Canada's 3-1 win against Jamaica back in September, but came on as a second half substitute as they lost 1-0 to Colombia.

However, Haber's call-up last month saw him miss the 1-0 win over Coventry, with Steve Davis saying he would have preferred Haber to pull out and play for his club, describing the call-up as 'not ideal'.

Read more: http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Crewe-Alexandra-Marcus-Haber-named-Canada-squad/story-24337777-detail/story.html#ixzz3IP4CU0gz

More proof of the struggles facing our boys when they choose country over club.  Hope Haber is given some playing time in Panama to justify his call-up.

Jeeeze

but if he was called up to play for England or the US it would have been "ideal"

we need to get our ranking up and qualify for some big tournaments to get that "sexy" factor into the MNT program

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am glad Alderson got called up but I don't quite understand it. It just sticks out like a sore thumb for me. I like him as a player, but he isn't playing. Looks like we still have to improve on our depth if we're calling in guys like this to fill the gaps. Great opportunity for the lad though.

Regarding Simeon and de Jong, I don't think either are in jeopardy of losing their spots. Both have been mainstays for some time and this will continue, I am sure.

Disappointed Daniel Haber has not featured for us in a while.

Maybe I missed it, but are Issey and REB both excluded? I think both are developing into first choices on the flanks.

Edit: Noticed Issey is there - good.

Attakora for me is similar to Alderson - why is he getting called when he doesn't play? Is our depth really this shallow?

No problem with DeRo getting calls. I think he was unlucky not to do better at TFC this year. Things just never seemed to go his way. I don't think he is done quite yet.

Pacheco is an interesting omission, especially when you consider Alderson's presence.  

I think Floro has a specific strategy to rotate a certain percentage of the squad each camp to still maintain a relatively large player pool who he's familiar with and who are familiar with his systems. In my mind that would explain some of the above omissions and inclusions.

but if he was called up to play for England or the US it would have been "ideal"

No it would not have been ideal unless there are multiple players missing, games are played during international window in League One. If there was an England or US or heck Brazil international in a League One club, the manager would say that it wasn't ideal. He would say something that he's proud of the player, but it's not ideal because he'll miss multiple games for his club. And if Canada had a top 50 ranking, we would probably have players at a higher level than League One on our national team, in leagues that respect international windows.

No it would not have been ideal unless there are multiple players missing, games are played during international window in League One. If there was an England or US or heck Brazil international in a League One club, the manager would say that it wasn't ideal. He would say something that he's proud of the player, but it's not ideal because he'll miss multiple games for his club. And if Canada had a top 50 ranking, we would probably have players at a higher level than League One on our national team, in leagues that respect international windows.

I was just being sarcastic. If a league 1 player got called up to the English national team the coach wold be gushing over it. Obviously it would never happen. I was just comparing the gltz and glam of england and the US soccer teams and the lack of respect canada gets.

the "ideal" comment was tongue in cheek 

We have a lack of CB's on this roster so Henry will likely play there. I expect Ledgerwood at RB.

I think this is what we'll see as well. On the road in Central America I expect our more experienced players to start the game. Initially I had Tissot pegged to start at LB but Floro will probably go with the devil he knows in Morgan (unless of course, the camp strongly reveals that Tissot is superior).

An unlikely but possible re-alignment would see Ledgerwood dropped, Henry at RB, and Ouimette starting alongside Edgar as a CB.  

I think this is what we'll see as well. On the road in Central America I expect our more experienced players to start the game. Initially I had Tissot pegged to start at LB but Floro will probably go with the devil he knows in Morgan (unless of course, the camp strongly reveals that Tissot is superior).

An unlikely but possible re-alignment would see Ledgerwood dropped, Henry at RB, and Ouimette starting alongside Edgar as a CB.

Forgot about Tissot since he usually plays wing now for Montreal but if he starts at LB, I could see Henry and Edgar at CB with Ouimette at RB if Floro wants to see what they can do.

That's another possibility, but I think that is even less likely than a backline of Henry-Edgar-Ouimette-Morgan. In my opinion, the chances of starting two inexperienced full backs down in Panama is slim.

Morgan, for all his struggles this season, has nearly 4 times as much experience in club football than the Impact boys. Plus, he is now into double digit caps for Canada. In contrast, Ouimette only has 3 caps and Tissot of course is making his debut.

On the right, Ledgerwood is actually the most experienced defender in the team, and with the lack of CB's noted (and the glut of good midfielders this time around), I don't think Nik will be forced into midfield and I don't think there's much incentive to move Henry out of the middle. 

Yeah, Floro is more likely to treat this as an important test and will go for the result with proven players.

This sounds all a little silly to me.  Floro is a GOOD coach.  He's not going to sit there counting "caps" and "who has played minutes for their team", or any of that crap.

He is going to watch them train, just like he's reportedly watched hours on hours of tape.  He then is going to choose who he feels are the best players for the roles that he has assigned.  Sort of like he stuck Gagnon-Lapare at LB.  That is the kind of coach Floro is.

a.k.a. he is a good coach.

It's not that Floro will pick his line up based on experience but generally, more experienced players stand a better chance of selection. That's just the way it is. Of course, There are outliers like JGL, but that's the exception rather than the norm. 

Experience can come in the form of minutes at the club level, international level, or even the experience a player has with Floro and learning how to work with him, take his instruction, etc. 

That is why I think Ledgerwood stands a better chance to start at RB over Ouimette, or Morgan (more arguably) has a better chance to start at LB over Tissot. 

Of course Floro is not counting actual caps or minutes...

It's not that Floro will pick his line up based on experience but generally, more experienced players stand a better chance of selection. That's just the way it is. Of course, There are outliers like JGL, but that's the exception rather than the norm. 

Experience can come in the form of minutes at the club level, international level, or even the experience a player has with Floro and learning how to work with him, take his instruction, etc. 

That is why I think Ledgerwood stands a better chance to start at RB over Ouimette, or Morgan (more arguably) has a better chance to start at LB over Tissot. 

Of course Floro is not counting actual caps or minutes...

I think the fact that Morgan has barely played will play into whether or not he starts. I don't even see someone like Attakora seeing any time.

I wonder why Jakovic has fallen out of favour. I know he was pretty hit or miss (mostly miss) with DC but he's done decently enough in Japan. Maybe Floro just doesn't think he adds anything.

I dont think he's fallen out of favour? He's just playing at the other end of the world. When Iseey was playing in Australia he was never called up for the MNT. 

Come meaningful WCQ and Gold Cup games I have no doubt Jakovic will be there. 

Come meaningful WCQ and Gold Cup games I have no doubt Jakovic will be there. 

Or he will not be called due to someone else impressing and winning the position and also not having the same kind of exposure here. I think we will see more and more of a need to be visible in Canada to be a part of the team. 

Or he will not be called due to someone else impressing and winning the position and also not having the same kind of exposure here. I think we will see more and more of a need to be visible in Canada to be a part of the team. 

How is he any less visible than a player playing in Turkey or Israel? Floro watches them all the same. On a TV screen. It's not like Japan is some obscure hamlet. 

Same goes for Cavallani.

I think the timeline was 6 months... 6 months from October = April, so yes.

Unless it turns out to be a Josh Simpson type recovery which wouldn't bode well. Hopefully everything is going well with him but these injuries like most by no means have a guaranteed recovery time.

(fingers crossed)

Archived