EPLWA - a model to emulate?

ted

I have mentioned in other threads how impressed I have been with the new Evergreen Premier League of Washington (EPLWA). This league started up last year and ran it's first season this past summer. Their accomplishments can be found in this post from GoalWA.

Some of the highlights:

• startup league recognized by United States Adult Soccer Association as "Elite" level - same as PDL and NPSL (Div4)
  • averaged 300 spectators per game
  • media coverage far above what Washington State PDL teams were able to achieve.

They are having their AGM today for team reps and league execs and boy I wish some Canadians were down there taking notes. I think they could teach our existing* and potential Div4 leagues a few things about starting up and running a lower division league. A strong Div4 is IMO sorely needed to support the three upper levels and would complete the development system we need to make players who can qualify for the World Cup.

* Yes, I still consider L1O and PLSQ to be Div4 leagues and wish they would embrace that role and make it the foundation upon which our entire system is built.

How do you feel L1O did in their first season compared to a league such as EPLWA?

^ I went to a few games this season and kept tabs on other games by watching match highlights, and for a first year league I was impressed with the majority of play for this kind of level.  I wouldn't call it Div 4 though and would be leaning more toward it's status as a Div 3 league.  That said I haven't been to any CSL games so I can't really give a detailed comparison.

Having followed L1O on twitter all season I was given the impression that others felt the league was a success and thoroughly enjoyed watching or participating in the inaugural season.  I've heard nothing but good things (on twitter).

On a side note, it was nice to see some of the independent academies fielding quality teams and going up against each other, including the likes of TFC academy and a long established club like Woodbridge.  Very impressed with Sigma FC.

I wouldn't call it Div 4 though and would be leaning more toward it's status as a Div 3 league.  That said I haven't been to any CSL games so I can't really give a detailed comparison.

No worries, there is no way I would consider the "Corrupt Soccer League" to be above L1O. They are both D4 in my eyes. But whichever level they are at, the EPLWA would appear to be doing better than either league in terms of marketing and communications in a market comparable to Ontario (big city dominant, secondary centers with populations large enough to support lower level teams).

Overall, for a first year program with a late startup, L1O did decently well.

Are there things that need to be improved on? No question. Is coverage outside of social media one of those things? Definitely.

• The website is acceptable, but could be significantly better and far more dynamic.
  • The gameday presentations fell into the same boat.
  • The schedule length (especially with the age ranges the league is targetting) caused issues with university and college students and facilities (especially here in Kingston -- the last home game played had to be moved 3 times because the changing rooms for the field being used were booked for hockey use).
  • Because of the issues with students, the rosters started becoming very flexible and seemed random toward the end of the season, and as such the gameday programmes were often incorrect, and it was difficult to figure out who was playing where.

Were there positives this year? Again, no question. Some included (all of these are "for the most part"):

• Very high level of play (not all of the players were better than those playing CSL, but most of the teams were a lot better)
  • Relatively good and consistent officiating
  • Excellent twitter coverage of most games
  • Fantastic facilities and gameday crews (most of whom were learning on the job and adapting week to week)

Archived