Doneil Henry leaving TFC for Europe?

BrennanFan

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The writing was on the wall when Allardyce left in any case. Hopefully Blackburn want him back.

they definitely do, apparently they were talking a lot about bringing him back and West Ham said no at the time but that was different management. I really hope his career isn't damaged by West Ham's ambitions.

• 1 month later...

Personally, I really hope he goes out on loan to a Championship team for the entire season, then comes to camp next year with a good year of English experience under his belt. I'm in no hurry to call him a Premiership player, if he's just headed to the bench all year. Yes, practice is great but day-to-day experience cannot be replicated.

Yes, practice is great but day-to-day experience cannot be replicated.

Henry is an extremely raw talent who needs a lot of work improving his technique and positional awareness. I think his development would be best served by playing a complete season for the West Ham development / reserve squad where he can receive the coaching / training he needs to bring up his football skill closer to his physical talents. Here, he will also get game experience at a level where he can gain confidence and improve his "soccer awareness". Sitting on the bench at West Ham or even getting some playing time on a Championship team where the emphasis is still on results rather than development, and mistakes by young players will still be punished by long stints on the bench would just hurt his confidence.

He's a 22-year-old who has played over 100 high level competitive matches. At this point, either he's good enough or he's not, and he needs to be in a team where he'll be fighting for playing time.

I disagree with this - most players don't hit their peak until mid-20s so there is still plenty of room for him to improve - even with 100 matches under his belt, Henry still needs games at a higher competitive level and IMO another loan out to a Championship side, hopefully for a full season, would be a good step for him. At minimum, if he does well but can't make the leap to the top flight, he'd become a known quantity at a good level of play - good enough for the CMNT for sure.

Defenders have long shelf lives and Canadians seem to be notorious late bloomers so who knows?  That being said if you didn't get laid a lot in high school you probably won't get laid a lot in your 30s either.  Just saying.

Raw talent is an understatement.  Was critical of the player but you can see some potential there beyond the physical.  Clearly he's got a lot of learning to do and needs to translate the classroom lessons onto the pitch come match day.  Can't do that unless you're in the line of fire.

Again, just saying.  

"HIs skills are what they are..."  WOW.  At 22, you are done and cannot work on your skills, i bet 90% of players would love to tell the coach that half way through a long practice.  My passing is as good as it will get no sense working on it. 

Henry has all the raw tools to make a good CB.  And if you beileve the hype, he is now getting some of the best coaching in the world in the BPL system.  I would be willing to bet just a season in the reserve squad would polish up his technical skills emmensely.  Sure he should be fighting for a starting job, but did anyone expect him to walk in to BPL and take over.  Most people scoffed at him, slagged him (at TFC) and thought he would never go to WEST HAM in the first place.  Then they slag him for not starting, geeshh!!! There are lots of paths to the top, I hope he just keeps getting better and either a loan or a lucky break will get him some game time.  But he is not done developing at 22.  

Henry is an extremely raw talent who needs a lot of work improving his technique and positional awareness. I think his development would be best served by playing a complete season for the West Ham development / reserve squad where he can receive the coaching / training he needs to bring up his football skill closer to his physical talents. Here, he will also get game experience at a level where he can gain confidence and improve his "soccer awareness". Sitting on the bench at West Ham or even getting some playing time on a Championship team where the emphasis is still on results rather than development, and mistakes by young players will still be punished by long stints on the bench would just hurt his confidence.

I disagree with this assesment 100%. Henry actually has pretty good technique and I don't understand where a minorty of fans get this idea that his technique is poor.

When I think of a centre back with poor technique, I automatically think Attakora. I haven't seen much of Roberts but Henry has better technique than him as well.

Henry's tehnique is no better or worse than the other CB's in our pool. That is just my opinion.

For comparison, Lletget, now of the Galaxy, was considered done at West Ham when he did not make the first team at 22/23 last year. I think he needs a loan this year and also to show well while there to be with West Ham beyond this year. There's certainly no shame in playing in the Championship, even if that's where he ends up permanently, it's one of the best leagues in the world.

"HIs skills are what they are..."  WOW.  At 22, you are done and cannot work on your skills, i bet 90% of players would love to tell the coach that half way through a long practice.  My passing is as good as it will get no sense working on it. 

Henry has all the raw tools to make a good CB.  And if you beileve the hype, he is now getting some of the best coaching in the world in the BPL system.  I would be willing to bet just a season in the reserve squad would polish up his technical skills emmensely.  Sure he should be fighting for a starting job, but did anyone expect him to walk in to BPL and take over.  Most people scoffed at him, slagged him (at TFC) and thought he would never go to WEST HAM in the first place.  Then they slag him for not starting, geeshh!!! There are lots of paths to the top, I hope he just keeps getting better and either a loan or a lucky break will get him some game time.  But he is not done developing at 22.  

You are thinking more about the youth/development environment. In the pro environment, the training sessions are made to prepare tactically for the weekend's game. Henry is a foreign player to them and he will either fight for playing time or get loaned. But there are situations where the team keeps the player and works with his in the hope the he improves his skills. That is the case with Ashtone Morgan at Toronto. He has improved a lot since he first joined. But he is a homegrown player and he probably would've been traded or released a couple of years ago if he was on an american team.

Henry can fight for playing time but if he doesn't break through in the first half of the season, he should be loaned. Let's not forget that he is important for the national team and we need him to be playing games.

Archived