Doneil Henry leaving TFC for Europe?

BrennanFan

So, we turn away a Championship level defender (so far) on the books with an EPL team and pencil in some guy from Portugal sight-unseen?  Interesting.

There's no denying that Henry is good player, but his style of play isn't suited in this region.  Henry plays too aggressive to a point that he will cost us free kicks, red cards and PK's since a lot of CONCACAF refs don't like aggressive/physical play.   

Having 21 year old kid that plays aggressive is a HUGE risk especially when you're playing against teams that fall to the ground with very little body contact.   

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At what point does he become experienced? He's played for Canada at every level. He's played in MLS for 5 years. He's trained in the Premier League he's started in the Championship.

Eventually you gotta let the kid play. 

I hear you, but he hasn't played a WCQ game for national team though.   I don't mind if Henry comes in as a sub, but as starter, he is a risk for now.   

I am sure in few years, Henry's game will mature to point that we can trust him to play CB against CONCACAF teams and refs.  

Doesn't Jakovic start at RB? Floro doesn't seem to rate him though. Hainault as well needs to be in the conversation.

Not always. Had a stretch there at some point early last season. New season now and he's back in his old CB spot. Ended the last season at CB as well.

I use to advocate for Jakovic at RB when it looked as if it'd be his permanent spot with S-pulse. Now I am not so sure, plus I never saw him play in that spot to rate his preformance.

For those reasons i'm leaning towards Edgar or Ledgerwood. Henry or Hainault as emergancy options.

Want to point out that Ledgerwood has recently featured for Cottbus at RB. If they get back into the 2.Bundesliga and he holds down that spot, he could find himself starting for us again. I personally would feel comfortable with him if he's showing good form at that level.

Also, keep in mind who are starting RB was last cycle: Edgar. Different coach I know but at least he's proven to be reliable out there and not a liability. We could go with him again especially if Vitoria comes on board and proves his worth. Still itching to see Philadelphia play....

Not always. Had a stretch there at some point early last season. New season now and he's back in his old CB spot. Ended the last season at CB as well.

I use to advocate for Jakovic at RB when it looked as if it'd be his permanent spot with S-pulse. Now I am not so sure, plus I never saw him play in that spot to rate his preformance.

For those reasons i'm leaning towards Edgar or Ledgerwood. Henry or Hainault as emergancy options.

Want to point out that Ledgerwood has recently featured for Cottbus at RB. If they get back into the 2.Bundesliga and he holds down that spot, he could find himself starting for us again. I personally would feel comfortable with him if he's showing good form at that level.

Also, keep in mind who are starting RB was last cycle: Edgar. Different coach I know but at least he's proven to be reliable out there and not a liability. We could go with him again especially if Vitoria comes on board and proves his worth. Still itching to see Philadelphia play....

When does the March friendlies roster come out? Wonder if we'll see Vitoria or if he "wants to get settled in philly still." Same for de jong I suppose. Will be interesting if he makes the trip. 

I hear you, but he hasn't played a WCQ game for national team though. I don't mind if Henry comes in as a sub, but as starter, he is a risk for now.

I am sure in few years, Henry's game will mature to point that we can trust him to play CB against CONCACAF teams and refs.

Would be a good idea to let him start during the opening rounds where the stakes are low.

I think we often make too much of Henry being a red card risk. Has he ever got a red or two yellows at any level for Canada? No - not to my knowledge. It's not like he's never delt with the Central American opponents before..

The lad will be fine. If he gets sent off durinf WCQ you can all say "I told yah so" :)

When does the March friendlies roster come out? Wonder if we'll see Vitoria or if he "wants to get settled in philly still." Same for de jong I suppose. Will be interesting if he makes the trip.

Must be soon, Piette is the only one confirmed I believe.

I fully expect deJong to be called. Vitoria is a long shot in my opinon. He's probably in contact now with Floro and mulling over whether or not he'll accept a call into WCQ's or Gold Cup.

He may be starting but Hainault is arguably at a bigger/tougher club to crack. 

Hainault has always been the better defender for Canada and even when they were in MLS together he was always regarded as a better defender. 

Not so sure about that. J League is a pretty decent league. Ignoring style for a second, I would describe the level as somewhere between MLS and Liga MX.

2.Bundesliga is a pretty respectable league as well, but unlike the J-League there is not much parity ....and Aalen are dead last.

So without watching either player or team extensively, my guess is that Jakovic is in a more attractive situation.

Regarding their time in MLS, both were clear cut starters when healthy, but Hainault gained more headlines because he played with a successful Houston. Meanwhile Jakovic was consistently injured while playing for a DCU team that struggled more than not. 

Hard to say who is better they are so close. I like Jakovic for his ball playing skills but that is just me. Both are prone to errors, but Jakovic's are a case of poor positioning while Hainault is a result of poor decision making (in possession). 

Must be soon, Piette is the only one confirmed I believe.

I fully expect deJong to be called. Vitoria is a long shot in my opinon. He's probably in contact now with Floro and mulling over whether or not he'll accept a call into WCQ's or Gold Cup.

IF he wants to play for Canada he'll have t ask the Portuguese federation. I don't think it will be fast enough for these friendlies. 

Starting Henry as CB is a no-brainer IMO. The kid must be feeling great, I wouldn't mind to see some experienced guy next to im though, wether it's Jankovic or Hainault.

I rate Jakovic over Hainault. I have seen Hailnault burned way too many times - this has to be considered since we are playing against some speedy forwards in CONCACAF.

Jakovic seems to be very calm with the ball too. He is one of the  very few guys that can bring the ball form the backline into the midfield with confidence and some skill.

And yes Henry is aggressive but he is the best CB we have. His aggressiveness is not only a negative - it's quite a positive. His aerial ability is great both defensively and offensively.

However, if we find some horrible officiating in the GOld CUp (which we certainly will at some point), it could mean many cautions and possible sending offs.

Is it okay to start throwing Manjrekar James' name into this mix as a possibility?  I haven't seen him play too much, I'd like to though...

I would like to see him called into a Camp Poutine first. (Not sure if he was there this winter)

it's being reported on Blackburn Rovers website that Doneil's loan with Blackburn, and also his year is done due to the injury he picked up on the weekend. Guess we can rule him out for the March friendlies...

Jesus. Must be a torn hamstring. Wonder if he'll be good for wcq or gold cup. Sucks that this happens when he was playing so well.

Which must really suck for Doneil given the progress he was making and fulfilling a dream of playing in England. The end of the their season is, what 6 weeks from now? I don't think he's had that long of an injury lay-off before, so not something he'lll be used to. Hopefully he'll be fit in time for the Gold Cup, but I guess we'll have to see.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived