Mallan Roberts

Canadian Pride

There was a lot of excitement on mallan Roberts playing for Canada instead of Sierra Leone. I remember miller wanted to include him in the gold cup team If he had his citizenship. He has his permant residency and it was reported that by the summer of 2013 he would have citzenship. There has been no news on him, how come and what is his story at the moment?

Here is an old article on him:

http://the11.ca/2013/02/08/fces-mallan-roberts-the-top-cb-prospect-in-canada-is-set-to-become-canadian/

He has been glued to the bench for most of the Eddies season. He's been back in the squad the last two games and has played well.

It appears that Miller may not be as high on him as he once was.

As an Eddies supporter, earlier this season he was a bit like Doneil Henry, a strong physical specimen who was a bit prone to making mental mistakes.

To expand on soccerpro's comments, Roberts has started the last 5 in a row, and he has been tremendous. So much so that Roberts stayed in the lineup, while Eddie Edward was used as a sub this past weekend. Roberts also scored a goal against Carolina that looked akin to what a forward would score couple weeks ago. I believe he was glued to the bench earlier in the year after a straight red in Minnesota where he kicked a player in the face (if I remember correctly).

The downside? He still doesn't have his passport, and might be considering alternate options at this point:

Steven Sandor@the11caOct 16

@masscusano nada. Understand there were some issues that set process back. He's now open to playing for SL... Would consider it

Edited by shermanator

To expand on soccerpro's comments, Roberts has started the last 5 in a row, and he has been tremendous. So much so that Roberts stayed in the lineup, while Eddie Edward was used as a sub this past weekend. Roberts also scored a goal against Carolina that looked akin to what a forward would score couple weeks ago. I believe he was glued to the bench earlier in the year after a straight red in Minnesota where he kicked a player in the face (if I remember correctly).

The downside? He still doesn't have his passport, and might be considering alternate options at this point:

Steven Sandor‏@the11caOct 16

@masscusano nada. Understand there were some issues that set process back. He's now open to playing for SL... Would consider it

Damn it, I hope he get's his passport situation sorted out and shows up for the CMNT. Starting on/off in NASL at 22 and with all the right physical tools, I could easily see him being an starting MLS level eventually.

Really?  He's going to give up that easily and spend his career travelling to West Africa?

Really? He's going to give up that easily and spend his career travelling back to Canada?

- European person talking about a Canadian with potential in their domestic league

Extremely athletic CB with size, speed n strength (2 nasl goals to his name) 

With the passport issues he has fallen pretty behind Henry, Ouimette as Canada future CB's 

If the passport issues can't get resolved why not play for sierra leone .. majority of the team plays in Europe, get to play in the Africa Cup, get more exp/games ..  

Hopefully he get his citizenship n capped for Canada 

Extremely athletic CB with size, speed n strength (2 nasl goals to his name) 

With the passport issues he has fallen pretty behind Henry, Ouimette as Canada future CB's 

If the passport issues can't get resolved why not play for sierra leone .. majority of the team plays in Europe, get to play in the Africa Cup, get more exp/games ..  

Hopefully he get his citizenship n capped for Canada 

Very debatable... either way, we need all the depth we can get.

He has been glued to the bench for most of the Eddies season. He's been back in the squad the last two games and has played well.

It appears that Miller may not be as high on him as he once was.

As an Eddies supporter, earlier this season he was a bit like Doneil Henry, a strong physical specimen who was a bit prone to making mental mistakes.

As mentioned, he's been great lately and played more than 2 games. Actually, he's played 11 games which is exactly the same amount as last year. With two more games to go. 

I have no idea why it's taking so long for him to get a passport (and Steven's not going to spoil his article by telling it here), but if he were to get one in the near future, he should be capped asap. Looks very promising.

My opinion on Roberts is that he is a poor man's Doneil Henry, so to be honest I don't see Roberts in the MNT pool right now. His streak of fantastic play in the last few weeks makes me hope that he will consistently be physical ala Doneil Henry without the costly high profile mistakes. Don't think we will have enough sample size by the end of 2014.

Roberts seems to have a bit more technical confidence then Henry, and is if anything even bigger and harder. But he's also even more mistake-prone. But Henry has significantly more professional experience. It could go either way but there's no reason to rule one of Henry/Roberts in and rule the other out.

• 3 months later...

Haven't seen much of him and when I did I never saw much in him. Perhaps he's improved tremendously, otherwise it's hard to get excited over this, though I do welcome new guys and wish for them to reach their potential with us.

Honestly speaking, is this guy a realistic option? At least with the Vitoria talk we can speculate whether or not he can come in and take someones place.

Roberts on the other hand would likely be a depth player at best. He'd be vying for minutes with the likes of Ouimette, Straith, Attakora - those type of guys. Plus, those depth players have already had time to adapt to Floro's methods, so he'd have to be significantly better in order to justify a selection.

Even if he does prove to be the best of that lot, I don't expect anyone from that group to be selected for our most crucial games anyways. Hence, my lack of excitment I suppose.

Edited by Obinna

Right now, Roberts is a bubble player that could get calls to the camp poutines. As of now I believe he has a centre back spot locked up in Edmonton, so hopefully he can make some big strides in 2015. The Watson / Roberts partnership is very similar to the Caldwell / Henry partnership in TFC, and I really think Watson will help the decision making gaps in Roberts' game.

I think this is exciting news that he got his citizenship, come on guys, he's 22 and still has time to grow. Who we consider already to be are depth guys in Canada is weak, we need to add to this pool. There are guys who play in NASL who can make a squad in MLS and there's guys in MLS who should probably be in NASL.

• 3 months later...