Striker Problem

Canadian Pride

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to think back, I always had the impression that Gerba just had a poor work ethic and football IQ - and largely relied on his size/athleticism to get by. I assumed that coaches were just frustrated, dealing with an overall lack of professionalism and commitment. (Note that I said "had the impression" and "assumed". I have no inside knowledge of his life/career.)

Trying to think back, I always had the impression that Gerba just had a poor work ethic and football IQ - and largely relied on his size/athleticism to get by. I assumed that coaches were just frustrated, dealing with an overall lack of professionalism and commitment. (Note that I said "had the impression" and "assumed". I have no inside knowledge of his life/career.)

Pretty much sums up my impressions as well.

I think Gerba's football IQ was his asset. He was a poacher. His size had little to do with his ability to score. He just found his way into space and took his chances. Sure, he was never fit as a flea, but when he played for the Lynx I saw him a few times at Swangard and he seemed to move reasonably well for a big guy -no more lazy than the average striker. I remember him and Sean Fraser causing a lot of problems for the Caps back in the day.

Archived