Canada U20 vs. England U20 - November 12th

El Hombre

My goodness. That lineup is just so damn beautiful.

Lots of firepower and experience on this team.

--------------------Hamilton---Larin

-------------Aird---Carreiro---Boakai---Petrasso

--Adekugbe---Gasparotto---Farmer--GagnonLapare

----------------------------Carducci

Wow...that looks pretty good from where I sit.  We could name more names as well...

These hypotheticals looks nice and all but lets remember:

1. Most teams we will play in u20 qualifying will have numerous players getting regular first team minutes in high level domestic leagues - for the most part, we will not.

2. Potential still is only potential. There's nothing stopping a lot of these guys from dropping off the earth in 2 years. as we have seen so many times in the past.

Difference now is, there are starting to be places in Canada for Canadian players to play at a good level LIKE MLS.  Your career doesn't have to die at age 23.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if we had this game on Samuel Piette's birthday so he could still play lol.. I'd go with

----------------------Larin-----------------Hamilton---------------------
Aird----------------------------Boakai----------------------------Petrasso
----------------------------------Piette-------------------------------------
Adekugbe------------Gasparotto---Farmer--------------------JGL

These hypotheticals looks nice and all but lets remember:

1. Most teams we will play in u20 qualifying will have numerous players getting regular first team minutes in high level domestic leagues - for the most part, we will not.

2. Potential still is only potential. There's nothing stopping a lot of these guys from dropping off the earth in 2 years. as we have seen so many times in the past.

Who?  Last go around we had Cuba and Nicaragua in our group..

Mexico and the USA might have more players playing pro at high level but you're not going to see Panama, El Salvador, Jamaica, T&T, Guatemala, Honduras or even Costa Rica with talent playing at higher levels than ours.  The only country with a domestic league better than "ours" is Mexico.. obviously Adekugbe, Jackson GL, Hamilton, Froese, Petrasso, Aird are at a higher level/have more experience than your average U20 Panama player.

We can't judge Panama U20s for instance because none of us have knowledge of the Panamanian league but what we can judge is how their men's team judges young talents.  For their latest friendly they brought one U20 eligible player.. Franciso Narbon who plays for James Madison University.  By comparison we have arguably the best player in the NCAA with Cyle Larin.   I haven't been as excited about a roster since the 2007 U20 World Cup and we all know how that turned out.

These games aren't played on paper so even though we have more experienced players that doesn't necessarily mean they'll have better careers or that they'll even be inferior to us talent wise.  The most exciting part for us has to be Floro's infuence.. in addition Gale seems like a guy who is willing to adapt and has already had success with Canadian youth teams and is highly rated.  

Back on topic England seems like a nice friendly because they've been on a real roll.  Any result will be huge and I expect England to misjudge us off the bat so hopefully we can pounce.

Who? Last go around we had Cuba and Nicaragua in our group..

Mexico and the USA might have more players playing pro at high level but you're not going to see Panama, El Salvador, Jamaica, T&T, Guatemala, Honduras or even Costa Rica with talent playing at higher levels than ours. The only country with a domestic league better than "ours" is Mexico.. obviously Adekugbe, Jackson GL, Hamilton, Froese, Petrasso, Aird are at a higher level/have more experience than your average U20 Panama player.

We can't judge Panama U20s for instance because none of us have knowledge of the Panamanian league but what we can judge is how their men's team judges young talents. For their latest friendly they brought one U20 eligible player.. Franciso Narbon who plays for James Madison University. By comparison we have arguably the best player in the NCAA with Cyle Larin. I haven't been as excited about a roster since the 2007 U20 World Cup and we all know how that turned out.

These games aren't played on paper so even though we have more experienced players that doesn't necessarily mean they'll have better careers or that they'll even be inferior to us talent wise. The most exciting part for us has to be Floro's infuence.. in addition Gale seems like a guy who is willing to adapt and has already had success with Canadian youth teams and is highly rated.

Back on topic England seems like a nice friendly because they've been on a real roll. Any result will be huge and I expect England to misjudge us off the bat so hopefully we can pounce.

"Most teams" refers to countries that have strong programs that will actually have a chance of qualifying.

Players with Honduras or Costa Rica getting regular first team minutes in their countries top division isnt a higher level than most of our MLS players glued to the bench or in the USSDA? I don't even know where to start with that...yes we have made some progress, but I think we're still behind when it comes to fielding pros getting regular minutes at this level.

"Most teams" refers to countries that have strong programs that will actually have a chance of qualifying.

Players with Honduras or Costa Rica getting regular first team minutes in their countries top division isnt a higher level than most of our MLS players glued to the bench or in the USSDA? I don't even know where to start with that...yes we have made some progress, but I think we're still behind when it comes to fielding pros getting regular minutes at this level.

I'm sure "most" of their players aren't getting regular first team minutes as you suggest.  Their top players most likely do, just as our top players play in MLS, League 1, Portugal and Scotland.  So the question should be: are the reserves/training with a first team in Honduras better than USSDA/training with an MLS team?  I doubt that.  By USSDA players I'm guessing you're referring to Bustos?

FWIW a full Honduran international plays alongside Aird weekly for Rangers. 

Alberth Elis looks like he will be a star for Honduras U20s.. he has made fewer appearances than Petrasso at the first team level and at a lower level.  So far the sources I can find with the most first team appearances for him puts him around 20.. so I guess it depends what your definition of playing regularly is.   Have a look at Honduran league rosters yourself and keep in mind it's a drop down from MLS. 

http://int.soccerway.com/players/bryan-giovanni-rochez-mejia/164585/

This guy is by far and away the most experienced striker I've found for them.  Really impressive, probably comparable to what Aird has done for Rangers.

I'm guessing Caniggia Elva still doesn't have his Canadian citizenship?

Otherwise, he'd be in serious contention.

Was going to post about this the other day. Been very quiet on that front. He has been vocal about playing for canada in the past, hoping the move and his agent doesn't change his mind. Will his application be affected by him leaving the country?

In that case, guy would have to remain in Germany for at least the next 5 years before he would be eligible. 5 years is a very long time in the life of a soccer player's career, and theirs a lot of uncertainty there... even with apparently having a 4 year contract. Hopefully he's still keen on Canada and can get a his passport sorted out.

Ugh wish this wasn't on a Tuesday night and train tickets weren't so expensive. I need to take a better look and see if I can make it. Are they any other Voyageurs living in London?

I'll be in Gloucester for some work stuff. Going to try and catch a train down for the game.

^ he played in a first team friendly for Stuttgart recently actually.. i'll try to dig it up

Yep. My bad. Appears he did play in a friendly last weekend. Doesn't show up on any Vfb rosters, perhaps they have an issue getting his player 'transfer' formalized.

Training under competitive conditions

During the international break, VfB took the opportunity to get in some match practice and enjoyed a 7-1 win over amateur side 1. FC Germania Bargau.

Whilst several of the players are currently away on duty with their respective national teams, those who remained at home also had the chance to get in some match practice. On Saturday, VfB played a friendly test game against local amateur side 1. FC Germania Bargau and ran out eventual 7-1 winners. The goals for Armin Veh’s side, bolstered by a number of youth team players, were scored by Daniel Didavi (13’), Daniel Ginczek (15’, 47’, 82’ and 86.), Konstantin Rausch (17’) and Caniggia Elva (79’). 

The joy of the win was unfortunately somewhat dampened by the injury to Daniel Didavi, who suffered a muscle sinew tear. Armin Veh’s men now have the opportunity to rest up until Tuesday, when they then begin preparations for the clash with Bayer Leverkusen. 

The VfB line-up: Ulreich – Schwaab, Niedermeier, Haggui, Rausch – Gipson, Romeu, Gentner, Hlousek – Didavi, Ginczek 

Substitutions

40’ Besuschkow for Didavi

46’ Ikpide for Romeu

58’ Elva for Schwaab

66’ Owusu and Schweizer for Gentner and Rausch

My friend who lives in England is planning to go - assume he's on his own for tickets right?

I saw on the Bournemouth site that tickets are only £3, not bad. There are also buses from London for £10 round trip. The only problem is the last bus leaves Bournemouth at 8pm.

I still would like to go but I might back out be as I'll need a day off work and a hotel. If anyone is thinking of going and would like share a room let me know.

Why?? He hasn't played a minute in Germany.

Why?? He hasn't played a minute in Germany.

A player signed to a top flight club in Germany, who got trials at other big clubs including Arsenal, doesn't deserve to be in serious consideration for a u20 Canada roster spot?

You just made my head hurt.

Archived