Friendly - Colombia vs. Canada - October 14, 2014 - POST-match [R]

SthMelbRed

For more views from people outside Canada, Tim Vickery was talking about this match on the BBC last night. He said he was very impressed with Canada and it was the best Canadian side he had seen in a long time. He completmented us on our footballing ability and said he really liked what he saw of the teenager we brought on at the end if the match.

Canada very rarely gets talked about by the media in England and if we are mentioned it is usually not anything positive. Hearing him talk so nicely about our team put a huge smile on my face.

But our right back made mistakes going forward.

Obviously this guy has no idea what he's talking about.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problem, sometimes we are so cynical about our national team, that it's nice to hear an outside perspective. 

I felt they thought a rout was eventually coming, as did many of us. However, as the match went on, they realized we were very well prepared. We showed a lot of discipline and organization.

After watching decades of Canadian games, I can say that this 1-0 loss, was the most encouraging loss for a very long time. I have hope for the future.  

All the more reason why having Floro at the helm and having the players (as they seem to be doing) buying into his strategies and believing in themselves is imperative for our chance of any success for the Gold Cup, and 2018 / 2022 WCQ. There are some on here that feel Floro hasn't proved anything yet... in tournaments, yes.  But if this team can perform as well as they had against Jamaica and especially Colombia, I feel like they can surprise us. Floro seems like he can make these guys believe in themselves, that they can take on just about anyone. We'll see how the Gold Cup unfolds. But first, a tough away game in Panama.

Archived