Friendly - Colombia vs. Canada - October 14, 2014 - POST-match [R]

SthMelbRed

A player does not have to wait for a signal from the referee to take a free kick, unless the referee tells the player by voice or gesture to wait for his whistle.  If the kicker chooses to take a quick free kick and not wait for the opponents to be at least 10 yards away in all directions, he can do so.

As we know all too well

#HutchtoDero

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great analysis - saw some of the game, but will look to see the rest later  on a video provided here somewhere.

I was very impressed with Pacheo tonight and how he did well in the midfield.  Very good movement to give himself space.  Worked well to switch the ball. 

Also wondered if the last free kick was planned and why the guy who stepped on took it.  I thought Floro would have his preferred players for all set pieces.  Were the guys discussing at all?

Seems like we missed a bit of offense, but  very solid defensively and Edgar (as has been said) looked very comfortable on the ball - deserving some cheers a few times when he moved around players with relative ease...

Know who REALLY suprised me on the defensive side though? Issey. In this formation I wasn't surprised at his placement, but he did his job in a 4-1-4-1 very well on the defensive role, stuck to his markers, was really impressed

I was thinking the same thing about Issey but had forgotten until reading your comment just now. Floro obviously had the crew well organized and had them concentrating and holding their shape. Not sure if anyone noticed, but there were several instances of the players being calmly vocal with each other and readjusting to maintain their shape and keep their defensive composure. Adding to that, Tosaint filled Issey's spot on a couple of occasions and did so quickly and seemlessly so that there was no danger.

All this must be having a pretty positive psychological effect on the players and that momentum can only be a good thing esp after the Honduras debacle.

A player does not have to wait for a signal from the referee to take a free kick, unless the referee tells the player by voice or gesture to wait for his whistle.  If the kicker chooses to take a quick free kick and not wait for the opponents to be at least 10 yards away in all directions, he can do so.

I think what Gianluca is saying is that the FK was not taken where the foul occured. It was a bit off but not worth griping about imo.

Bingo. Notice I said "wherever" and not "whenever". I have no issues with players taking a free kick quickly - but it has to be taken from the spot where the foul occurred, not 5 yards over because it is more convenient for that team to take it 5 yards over.

I watched the game in its entirety.  I am extremely impressed with how Floro has maximized the defensive structure and has shown glimpses of a competent counter attack.  We haven't seen that out of a coach....well...ever.  He's getting the most out of players with a very shallow pool.

The best players on the pitch were David Edgar and Milan Borjan by a country mile. Watching Edgar gave me real hope that players can develop past their mid-twenties.  I would hope people keep that in mind with regards to Henry.  I think overtime he will increase his soccer acumen and passing ability. 

Dejong had a great game.  De Guzman had a competent/savvy veteran game.  Issey had the best game I've ever seen him play.  Ledgerwood was okay.  Larin was dangerous in his short appearance - hope.  Ricketts kept the back line honest with his speed but little else.  We need more out of a lone striker role. Same goes for Haber.  Simply put these guys are good filler.  Lapare showed glimpses of a very technical and competent player.

Underrated man of the match was Pacheco. 

Also, what the hell was Aparicio thinking on the free kick? That should have been Edgar's.  I guess his USL Pro league reputation as a goal scorer preceeded him.

Having Osorio and Teibert would have brought some balance to the attack IMO.  Take out Ledgerwood and Straith.

Now if we just develop 2-3 strikers we may have a chance at qualifying.....and a RB, a LW, a DM etc.  But there's more hope than I thought there would be at this point.

I'm afraid the Henry at RB experiment must end.  He was excellent defensively and is not bad at creating some space for himself and protecting the ball at his feet, but his distribution going forward was a liability.  Gave possession away really cheaply in his forward passes, and we were exposed on the counter a few times.  

Getting forward is not his game.  He is not going to learn or develop that.  He is a stay at home CB and has no business that far up the field.   

I think Ledgerwood, Jakovic and Straith are all better options for RB.  I'd even slot Tiebert or Johnson there in a pinch over Henry.

That being said, Henry remains our best young CB option and should eventually replace Hainault.     

JDG looked like 2008 JDG last night, which was fantastic to see. Also for the first time since qualifying (up until the 8-1 of course) I felt comfortable with the backline. Edgar and Hainault were not only making tackles when called upon they also seemed comfortable dribbling the ball out from the back.

I still think that if Canada is going to play this 4-1-4-1 they played last night we are going to need a stronger holding midfielder than Straith. We need an easy out-ball for the back four. Someone who is always there and can quickly play the ball out from the back. From about minute 45-65 we were completely penned in and the back four had no real option to dish the ball too, which meant a lot of hoofing the ball back to the Colombians.

Anyways all in all a really good game. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it and the team should be proud of their performance. 

I watched the game in its entirety.  I am extremely impressed with how Floro has maximized the defensive structure and has shown glimpses of a competent counter attack.  We haven't seen that out of a coach....well...ever.  He's getting the most out of players with a very shallow pool.

The best players on the pitch were David Edgar and Milan Borjan by a country mile. Watching Edgar gave me real hope that players can develop past their mid-twenties.  I would hope people keep that in mind with regards to Henry.  I think overtime he will increase his soccer acumen and passing ability. 

Dejong had a great game.  De Guzman had a competent/savvy veteran game.  Issey had the best game I've ever seen him play.  Ledgerwood was okay.  Larin was dangerous in his short appearance - hope.  Ricketts kept the back line honest with his speed but little else.  We need more out of a lone striker role. Same goes for Haber.  Simply put these guys are good filler.  Lapare showed glimpses of a very technical and competent player.

Underrated man of the match was Pacheco. 

Also, what the hell was Aparicio thinking on the free kick? That should have been Edgar's.  I guess his USL Pro league reputation as a goal scorer preceeded him.

Having Osorio and Teibert would have brought some balance to the attack IMO.  Take out Ledgerwood and Straith.

Now if we just develop 2-3 strikers we may have a chance at qualifying.....and a RB, a LW, a DM etc.  But there's more hope than I thought there would be at this point.

not only Osorio and Teibert, but Atiba, Cavallani and Jakovic in the starting line up

Atiba for issey or pacheco. Cavallani for Ricketts, jakovic for henry.

can bring in ricketts,issey, and jackson as subs to run at tired legs

lets not forget Will Johnson who will hopefully be ready come WCW and Gold cup

not only Osorio and Teibert, but Atiba, Cavallani and Jakovic in the starting line up

can bring it ricketts and issey as subs to run at tired legs

Atiba would be the ultimate DM replacement that this thread was referring to. 

On Jackovic, I am not really comfortable with him because he holds on to the ball far too long and gets himself in trouble.

Cavallini - I've seen one game and he was a very physical target forward in a sub appearance.  I don't know what he is on the regular

I'm afraid the Henry at RB experiment must end.  He was excellent defensively and is not bad at creating some space for himself and protecting the ball at his feet, but his distribution going forward was a liability.  Gave possession away really cheaply in his forward passes, and we were exposed on the counter a few times.  

Getting forward is not his game.  He is not going to learn or develop that.  He is a stay at home CB and has no business that far up the field.   

I think Ledgerwood, Jakovic and Straith are all better options for RB.  I'd even slot Tiebert or Johnson there in a pinch over Henry.

That being said, Henry remains our best young CB option and should eventually replace Hainault.     

This Henry stuff is ridiculous.  If we are looking for a RB to lead our attack, then we have problems.  The main responsibility of the back four is to defend and Henry did that very well.  I'd much rather a performance like Henry's against Colombia than that of De Jong against Jamaica: it's better to give the ball away in their half than it is to give it away in ours.  The offence should be coming from the other 6 guys in front of him.  None of Ledgerwood, Jakovic or Straith have Henry's combination of size and speed and will get/have been torched out wide.

Yes, he made some mistakes but the fact that so many are requesting him to be dropped is mindboggling.  You just held a full-strength Colombia squad to one goal scored off a set piece.

The Ref was an asshole who cost us the game. Not just with the obvious penalty, their goal should never have counted. If you are going to allow a team to take a free kick quickly it has to be from the spot of the foul, not from wherever it is convenient for the attacking team. You can't just take a free kick wherever the hell you feel like it. That should have been whistled down, but the Ref didn't have the balls  to do that, just like he didn't have the balls to award a PK against the #3 ranked team in the world 4 minutes in.

I think it was pretty obvious that the ref was star struck with Colombia on the field.

You're the most negative person i have met. We were tied till the 74th minute. Floro alrdy started making subs. We only had 6. Younger guys got a run out.

How the hell are u finding negatives. Give your head a shake

I'm not negative. Benito Floro was only thinking about 1 thing and that was to not lose by a big margin. 

He was not thinking about WCQ or the Canadian future. 

After the exit in the WCQ for 2014 a new approach should've been implemented. Identify a playing style, implement it throughout all Canadian squads and youth development and give as many youngsters a proper chance in the team. Bringing younger players on in the last 30 second or 15 minutes is not going to help the future of Canadian football.  The average age was 27,5 in yesterdays starting XI. 

The only way too improve and build a solid base is by playing the youth. Especially in friendlies and especially against top quality opposition like Colombia. This will help them not only in experience but also can showcase their talents to watching clubs and earn them transfers to bigger clubs.

In my opinion the full focus should be on players who are between 17 and 26 years old (except for top players in vital positions like Edgar, De Jong and Atiba etc). There is no point in playing guys like Pacheco, De Guzman, Nakajima Farran and Ledgerwood. 

I'm not negative. Benito Floro was only thinking about 1 thing and that was to not lose by a big margin. 

After the exit in the WCQ for 2014 a new approach should've been implemented. Identify a playing style, implement it throughout all Canadian squads and youth development and give as many youngsters a proper chance in the team. Bringing younger players on in the last 30 second or 15 minutes is not going to help the future of Canadian football.  The average age was 27,5 in yesterdays starting XI. 

The only way too improve and build a solid base is by playing the youth. Especially in friendlies and especially against top quality opposition like Colombia. This will help them not only in experience but also can showcase their talents to watching clubs and earn them transfers to bigger clubs.

In my opinion the full focus should be on players who are between 17 and 26 years old (except for top players in vital positions like Edgar, De Jong and Atiba etc). There is no point in playing guys like Pacheco, De Guzman, Nakajima Farran and Ledgerwood. 

Disagree.

WCQ starts in 7 months.  Playing 17 year olds means they will be 17 or 18 in 8 months. We aren't going to be playing 17 year olds in Honduras. The time is now for the starters to gel.

The time to play younger players was last year.

Average age of 27.5 is pretty damn good.

This is the MENS national team. I think you're getting confused with the U23 olympic team or U20 world cup team. Thats when 17 and to 20 year olds get the majority of their experience. The Mens team is for the best we have for WCQ. We only have a handful of freindlies before the games matter. We can't be just starting a bunch of 20 year olds for the sake of experience and hoping they look good for a transfer. Thats what youth teams are for.

And Floro has done exactly what you said? He has implemented his new style and has pushed it down to the U23 team and U20 team. The reason he calls up these younger players is so they can be exposed to this style first hand in training. Not in games so they can play 90 mins and get crushed by Colombia.

I see no problem with playing the best players available at this stage - regardless of age.

Of course, bringing on younger players in the last 30 seconds is not very beneficial, but these kids have had a full week or more training with the group. Oh, and there is nothing wrong with getting 15 minutes in an international friendly as a young player...

The only way to improve is by playing youth? We've done that already. That phase is done and dusted. There is only so much of that you can do before you need to place a stronger emphasis on results. A year of blooding young guys is enough - now they must earn time on merit. 

Why would we focus on players younger than 26 when the better players on our squad (and a lot of squads) are older than this arbitrary cut off?  I'm sorry, if Dunfield is in better form than Piette, then I want the player who will be most effective and give us the best chance of winning (even if I love Piette as a player - and dislike Dunfield).

I see no problem with playing the best players available at this stage - regardless of age.

Of course, bringing on younger players in the last 30 seconds is not very beneficial, but these kids have had a full week or more training with the group. Oh, and there is nothing wrong with getting 15 minutes in an international friendly as a young player...

The only way to improve is by playing youth? We've done that already. That phase is done and dusted. There is only so much of that you can do before you need to place a stronger emphasis on results. A year of blooding young guys is enough - now they must earn time on merit. 

Why would we focus on players younger than 26 when the better players on our squad (and a lot of squads) are older than this arbitrary cut off?  I'm sorry, if Dunfield is in better form than Piette, then I want the player who will be most effective and give us the best chance of winning (even if I love Piette as a player - and dislike Dunfield).

AMEN

I think it was pretty obvious that the ref was star struck with Colombia on the field.

I am curious as to what explanation he gave for the lack of a penalty in that play early on. "I'm sorry, the Canadian player wasn't decapitated, therefore no penalty was awarded" is the only thing I can come up with.

Floro had it COMPLETELY right.  You use certain TACTICS against one team, like Colombia, but Floro demonstrated very clearly against Jamaica that he is capable of a different set of tactics with different players against different teams.

You have to be prepared for BOTH scenarios.  This next WCQ we will be playing minnows, and we will be (hopefully) playing teams like Mexico as well.  Floro has shown us great managerial skill in both games, there is no need to insinuate by anyone that practicing more bunkering tactics makes him a coach without foresight, when in fact the exact opposite is true.  I think most on these boards would agree.

can bring in ricketts,issey, and jackson as subs to run at tired legs

I highly doubt Cavallini will be at the game in Panama. As stated in his own thread his wife/girlfriend is due right around then and he doesn't seem interested in playing for Canada.

Archived