Saputo just helped purchase Bologna, more opportunities for Impact youngsters?

SoccerJedi

Wasn't sure exactly which sub this fell under.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1607318/impact-president-joey-saputo-seeking-to-buy-italian-club-bologna-fc/

Saputo is part of a group that had a bid for Bologna approved this week by the club's board of directors.

Can any Montrealers shed some light on the chances of academy kids spending any sort of time there? More importantly, kids from within the Canadian system. Or at least hopefuls. 

I'm crossing my fingers but in the dark on what this really means.

I'll give Suputo the befit of the doubt, and further congratulate. He's a loyal support of the game in Canada and dedicated to the sport. The Suputo family has put their money one the line buying a bankrupt Impact team, building a privately funding SSS, setting the club up for MLS and academy expansion, and recently a large scale training facility.

Aside from some marketing opportunities (e.g. club friendlies), I doubt that it will mean much.  Saputo is part of a consortium, and the other owners would have to agree that ties between the two clubs are to the benefit of Bologna.  

Also - the Whitecaps have a similar situation where Jeff Mallett has stakes in both the Whitecaps and Derby County FC, and as far as I know, there is no transfer of players in either direction.

Archived