Increasing the Canadian MLS Quota

baulderdash77

^I agree.  I've said it before, I PVR record my games (I must, because of my work schedule), and if I start watching and I don't see a Canadian in the lineup I basically fast forward until one subs into the game.  Does that make me a bad fan?  No, because I'm not actually a fan of any particular MLS team, I'm a fan of the CMNT.

I'm not worried about quotas, I'm on the boat that thinks players will earn their time, but you have a point when talking about the pay structure.  Some players from other countries will definitely think differently of, say, the +30k minimum salary.  While some young Canadians might think it's not worth their time and may change careers, some from other countries would be totally willing to move here and play based on that.

However, that's sort of where I was saying it MAY be time for MLS to increase the league minimum, especially given the vast disparity that is starting to occur between the rich and poor in the MLS.  But let's not get into that, that's a totally different topic of discussion.  

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2014/09/18/commissioner-don-garber-today-about-new-vision-our-future

Garber mentions that among the changes for next season is a "new strategy for Canada, it's important that a country that's so important to our league, and the continued growth of our league".

Could we finally see a change in player quotas/ domestic status??? 

In fact, a strong argument can be made that Canada would win the bid as it stands today.

Which begs the question, "OK, what's that argument?". Looks like we are just supposed to take that on trust because Dwayne Rollins says so. Russia and Qatar got it through bribery, allegedly. Does Traffic have better contacts than SUM on that? Hope the change on domestic players happens, but some of the content of that blog entry looked a bit far-fetched to me.

Am I the only one who thinks that a league-wide rule that included both Americans and Canadians as domestic, and the elimination of the Canadian quota for Canadian teams, would result in fewer Canadians in MLS, not more?

Yes, but it could also be a good thing. I'd rather players who can play every game be on the rosters rather than sign Simon Thomas, only to fill in a quota. or Alderson gets traded to a US team to get playing time

Canada does have a good shot at 2026.  It's going to go to CONCACAF one way or another an there's really only 3 countries that can host it.  FIFA can either go with established US or the growth potential of Canada.  If they go with Canada they will still get amazing US TV coverage; but if they go with Canada they can advance the sport because of the latent Canadian soccer fans

The US has ten times the population, many more stadia that are larger than what's normal in the CFL and still has plenty of growth potential where soccer is concerned if for example Mexican-Americans ever embrace MLS, so they arguably have many more latent fans that Canada does. The rational choice from an outsider's standpoint is the USA but FIFA usually makes the corrupt choice, so MLS/SUM would have grounds for concern and maybe that gives the CSA some leverage, but it's a bit of a stretch. The other thing that struck me about the blog entry is that if this "D1a league" is tied into Traffic/NASL it is effectively just an extension of the USSF's D2, so is it really a move away from the USSF's league structure? It's a strategy that the CSA probably would have pursued regardless of the MLS/USL Pro thing given Edmonton was in place and Ottawa were already in the pipeline, so it all reads a bit like Glenn Beck getting a bit carried away with a marker pen and a whiteboard.

I think canada has a decent shot. As others have said, it's likely a three horse race with us, Mexico and us. If Mexico gets it, they would be the First Nation to host it 3 times. The US would be hosting it the second time which is significant for a non-soccer playing nation. Canada gets you most of what the US offers in terms of TV in the Americas and Europe and grows a new market. It also plays well with the anti-American vote. It's by no means a slam dunk but we have a shot.

The link up with traffic helps but in the end, this will all come down to execution. If the csa is serious, they should be looking to invest in a heavyweight with experience to deliver the goods. I think they will have a real difficulty doing it themselves.

We should try to do a co-bid with the USA. It is a novelty that might tip the scales in the USA's favour.  A joint world cup with some games in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver if they can get grass in BC Place or we have a real stadium by then. 

Reading what Platini has said re: Qatar and Russia. In giving new countries a chance to host the World Cup should, and the way FIFA feels about joint bids, I don't see how it would help the US. From the way you're writing it, it sounds like a US bid and not a joint bid. Also, 2026 if Canada wins it will be played on turf. BC Place is a better stadium than Saputo or BMO to host the World Cup, in FIFA's eyes even with turf.

Reading what Platini has said re: Qatar and Russia. In giving new countries a chance to host the World Cup should, and the way FIFA feels about joint bids, I don't see how it would help the US. From the way you're writing it, it sounds like a US bid and not a joint bid. Also, 2026 if Canada wins it will be played on turf. BC Place is a better stadium than Saputo or BMO to host the World Cup, in FIFA's eyes even with turf.

Why do you assume itll be on turf?  I don't think there's a chance.

We should try to do a co-bid with the USA. It is a novelty that might tip the scales in the USA's favour.  A joint world cup with some games in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver if they can get grass in BC Place or we have a real stadium by then. 

We dont need a joint bid to win, we have the infrastructure, population and money to host on our own just fine.  I think people downplay our chances and let our inferiority complex of the states get in the way (how Canadian of us!).  

This might sound over confident, but I truly believe this bid is ours to lose.  

We dont need a joint bid to win, we have the infrastructure, population and money to host on our own just fine.  I think people downplay our chances and let our inferiority complex of the states get in the way (how Canadian of us!).  

This might sound over confident, but I truly believe this bid is ours to lose.  

Infrastructure? What infrastructure. Money? Without fed govt and prov govt funding, no WC bid is going to succeed.

Brazil spent fucktons of money they don't have to host the WC. Whatever infrastructure we have right now needs massive upgrade in order to host 2026 WC.

Why do you assume itll be on turf? I don't think there's a chance.

I think otherwise. FIFA's saying that artificial surfaces is the future. Once they've hosted the WWC on it, it's fair game for the men to play. I remember how proud they were of playing the U-20 WC on it.

I don't think that the CSA could win if it was all grass, they would just give it to the US.

Infrastructure? What infrastructure. Money? Without fed govt and prov govt funding, no WC bid is going to succeed.

Brazil spent fucktons of money they don't have to host the WC. Whatever infrastructure we have right now needs massive upgrade in order to host 2026 WC.

Hun?  I'm not sure where you live in Canada, but we have amazing infrastructure - mass transit systems, roads, hospitals, hotels, stadiums etc its all there.  By 2016 we will have 6 stadiums that are brand new or recently renovated.   

Of course there would have to be money spent, there always is.  The stadiums in Winnipeg, Ottawa, Hamilton and Regina would have to be in Grey Cup configuration, there may be a need for temp grass (see Blackdude), hosting venues, media venues, security etc but 'massive upgrades'?  I'm not sure what you're referring to.

We certainly would not be taking the Brazil or Qatar approach and we certainly wouldn't be building 8 brand new stadiums. 

I think otherwise. FIFA's saying that artificial surfaces is the future. Once they've hosted the WWC on it, it's fair game for the men to play. I remember how proud they were of playing the U-20 WC on it.

I don't think that the CSA could win if it was all grass, they would just give it to the US.

You could be right, but either way its achievable.  All stadiums could be retrofit for grass, even if it was ripped out and replaced with turf for the following CFL season.  It would be very affordable and not very difficult.  

Hun?  I'm not sure where you live in Canada, but we have amazing infrastructure - mass transit systems, roads, hospitals, hotels, stadiums etc its all there.  By 2016 we will have 6 stadiums that are brand new or recently renovated.   

Of course there would have to be money spent, there always is.  The stadiums in Winnipeg, Ottawa, Hamilton and Regina would have to be in Grey Cup configuration, there may be a need for temp grass (see Blackdude), hosting venues, media venues, security etc but 'massive upgrades'?  I'm not sure what you're referring to.

We certainly would not be taking the Brazil or Qatar approach and we certainly wouldn't be building 8 brand new stadiums. 

Clearly you're not tracking the shitstorm over transit in Toronto and Montreal

FIFA requires a minimum of eight venues for the World Cup, including one with 80,000-plus seats. So we would have to build or expand dramatically all current stadiums in Canada. You are looking at 50k min each with one at 80k. Our pro sports infrastructure is nowhere close.

The reasons I brought up doing a joint bid with the USA.

1) We don't have the political pull, the USSF does.

2) The financing to build up our stadiums just so they'll be half empty even for the rest of their lives won't go over well.

3) The USA has already had it once and was successful. FIFA would love more exposure in the USA. This gives them the novelty (excuse) of exposing new markets (Canada).

4) If we go up against the USA and Mexico it quickly becomes a coin toss between those 2 for FIFA (whoever pays off the most wins). By doing a joint bid we enhance the USA's chance and ours becomes realistic.

Seriously do you really think that the Canadian government is going to shell out the type of money required for the stadium upgrades and possibly new builds? We are talking billions.

You could be right, but either way its achievable. All stadiums could be retrofit for grass, even if it was ripped out and replaced with turf for the following CFL season. It would be very affordable and not very difficult.

The CFL season would need to start the day FIFA doesn't control these stadiums, If you want to put grass that lasts for 1 day, it's fine. If you want it to last for 1 month, you would have to install a new grass system and tear down the artificial surface and the CFL would need to wait another month to install turf. How long did it take for FC Edmonton to install their new artificial surface? Around that. In 94, they had the time since the NFL starts regular season in September. It's part of the economics if we use the CFL stadiums, that would be a conpromise that they need to think about.

Archived