Milan Borjan

Ruffian

Translation of Article: 

''The representative of Canada, as Mondo writes on Thursday, should sign an agreement with red and white via electronic means.

The deal with Borjan was achieved, Zvezdin's proposal of the contract and if something unforeseen happens, on Thursday the job should be formalized.

He is currently in the US, where he can participate in the Gold Cup with Canadians, and the date of his arrival in Belgrade is directly dependent on the next results of this team.

Milan Borjan is a "grobar" son-in-law, since he is married to former director of marketing Partizan Snezana Filipovic.

Manojlovic will play the last match in the Zvezda jersey on Thursday against Irtysh, but on Friday he will be in Madrid to sign a contract with Getafe.''

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red Star Belgrade are currently in the Second qualifying round of the Europa League drawing the first game 1-1 vs Irtysh Pavlodar a Kazakh team. I believe the game was in Kazakhstan so hopefully they can win the next game at home on July 20th (today!) and Borjan can participate in the next round. Actually next round is July 27th and Aug 3, so let's hope he can't make the July 27th match due to prior commitments.

He wasn't playing at Ludogorets was he? Sounds like a good move, but like all moves, in particular with goalkeepers, if one team gives you playing time and another doesn't, the one that gives you playing time is the better option. Hopefully he can get playing time in Belgrade.

Congrats on the move Milan!

What was hard to do is done: he had, it seemed, an inflated contract at Ludogorets, they loaned him out to get part of it back, but I think he was still on contract, to end of June 2018.

But they are not reporting this as a loan, it is a free transfer. Ludogorets gets him off their salary sheet definitively.

I would imagine at Red Star he'd keep the same salary level or more with the free transfer, great for him. 

I am just speculating, but on a club level he is probably our fourth highest paid player, after Atiba, Arfield and Hoillet.

Edit: Red Star is through to the third round of Europa qualifying, they play Sparta Prague home next week, away early August. After that round they'd have one more to get to the group stage.

We don't know if he has been included in their Europa roster, but they have three keepers listed, two u-20s, and one senior, so it would be likely. 

http://ca.reuters.com/article/canadaSportsNews/idCAKBN1A923N-OCASP

NIce article. Borjan ready to go. it would be great if he can jump in right away. He has played so well for us recently it would be nice if he won the starting spot for a reasonably well-known large (ish) club.  On that note, where does the Serbian league rank with the Bulgarian league, Polish league etc on week to week play? or compared to MLS etc.

18 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

On that note, where does the Serbian league rank with the Bulgarian league, Polish league etc on week to week play? or compared to MLS etc.

I cannot say how the Serbian league ranks on a game to game basis, but in UEFA standings, they are just below.  For UEFA country rankings (i.e. overall performances in Europe of countries club teams), Serbia is currently 28, whereas Bulgaria is 27, and Poland is 20th.  For UEFA team rankings, Red Star is 195th whereas Ludogorets is 62.

2 hours ago, WheatsheafSK said:

I cannot say how the Serbian league ranks on a game to game basis, but in UEFA standings, they are just below.  For UEFA country rankings (i.e. overall performances in Europe of countries club teams), Serbia is currently 28, whereas Bulgaria is 27, and Poland is 20th.  For UEFA team rankings, Red Star is 195th whereas Ludogorets is 62.

Cool. thanks

2 hours ago, WheatsheafSK said:

Yea....but Ludogorets weren't mentioned in a hit sex positive song from the early 90s so this is a step up ;)

3 hours ago, matty said:

Living out a childhood dream it seems

Absolutely! The biggest club in Serbian Superliga ??

He'll be competing for the starting job with the 32- year old Dahmir Kahriman. 44 appearances for Red Star Belgrade since 2014 and 8 matches played for the national team. 

Also the colors look well on him ♦️♦️♦️

Great news! I'll think he'll get the opportunity to compete for the starting job. Does anyone know if he'll be eligible to dress for this week's Europa League match vs Sparta Prague? I'm not familiar with UEFA's rules on naming player rosters/eligibility.

2 hours ago, danninho said:

Great news! I'll think he'll get the opportunity to compete for the starting job. Does anyone know if he'll be eligible to dress for this week's Europa League match vs Sparta Prague? I'm not familiar with UEFA's rules on naming player rosters/eligibility.

I just checked the player registration rules. Normaly he would have had to have been registered for the next round by midnight on the 22nd, last Saturday, continental time. Before that he had to have gone through the club medical to be registered with UEFA. I don't think this transfer came through early enough, but if it did, if it was Saturday, it does not yet show on their roster list. the keeper sold to Getafe is still on it.

Edit> but as I look further, the club can replace a player on their A team list if one drops off, up to one day before the first leg of any previous round tie, as long as they do not reduce their domestic quota requirements, which Europa League has.  So that would enable Borjan to make the list for this week's Sparta Prague match.

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/35/92/45/2359245_DOWNLOAD.pdf

VII – Player Registration 37

42.07  List A has to be submitted by the following fixed deadlines:
    1. 20 June 2016 (24.00CET) for all matches in the first qualifying round;

2. 8 July 2016 (24.00CET) for all matches in the second qualifying round;

3. 22 July 2016 (24.00CET) for all matches in the third qualifying round;

4. 8 August 2016 (24.00CET) for all matches in the play-offs;

5. 1 September 2016 (24.00CET) for all further matches from the first match in

the group stage up to and including the final. 

42.08 For the three qualifying rounds and the play-offs, a club may register a maximum of one new eligible player on List A after the above-mentioned deadlines, provided the quota of locally trained players is respected. Such registration must be completed by 24.00CET on the day before the relevant first-leg match and the club’s association must confirm in writing that the new player is eligible to play at domestic level at this time.

42.09  If the registration of such a new player causes the number of players on List A to exceed 25, the club must remove a currently registered player to reduce the squad to 25 players again. 

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

They just drew Arsenal..Hopefully Borjan can show a good peformance..I'm sure that Ozil goal haunts him sometimes :P

They also drew Köln of the Bundesliga (finished 5th last year) and BATE Borisov of Belarus. It's unlikely that Milan and co. will advance, but this draw certainly could've been worse.

I don't want to count my (Borjan's?) chickens before they hatch, but does anyone else find it a strange feeling to have a Canadian-not-named-Atiba making a potentially positive upward move and it actually appears to work out positively? I know it's early days, but I'm not used to that kind of thing. 

Archived