Milan Borjan

Ruffian

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of us with no TV at the moment, what caused the penalty?

The defence man passed back to Milan. The ball was in the air, and when he controlled it he pushed it to the left. A Liverpool player got to the ball first when Milan was sliding for it and Milan's slide caused the Liverpool player to go down.

Let's hope that it doesn't cost him first team mins

Probably will. They will be pretty mad. Mistake was 100% Milan's fault and definitely cost Ludogurets an away point at Liverpool.

Borjan's horrendous distribution *may* have been overlooked had he not cost them the game in stoppage time....

Probably will. They will be pretty mad. Mistake was 100% Milan's fault and definitely cost Ludogurets an away point at Liverpool.

Borjan's horrendous distribution *may* have been overlooked had he not cost them the game in stoppage time....

It was not 100% Borjan's fault. The pass back was poor and difficult to handle though he should have done better. The Liverpool player dived also as contact was minimal. Still he should have handled the pass better and not slid in as most strikers will dive if you do that. Still a mistake on Borjan's part but some MLS level reffing to award a penalty on the play.

It was not 100% Borjan's fault. The pass back was poor and difficult to handle though he should have done better. The Liverpool player dived also as contact was minimal. Still he should have handled the pass better and not slid in as most strikers will dive if you do that. Still a mistake on Borjan's part but some MLS level reffing to award a penalty on the play.

+1

Milan had anticipated the ball to come straight through but instead it was touched on in a different direction and Milan hesitated causing the poor first touch. 

Keepers make mistakes it happens.. Casillas and Akinfeev at the World Cup.  I hope the coach sticks with him because he had a decent match otherwise. 

I hope the coach sticks with him because he had a decent match otherwise. 

I think he was only playing because the #1 was suspended, the #2 was injured earlier in the week and the #3 was 17 years old. I wouldn't count on seeing him again unless there is another suspension / injury and it would have nothing to do with his performance.

A good news story turned in to another nightmare for a Canadian, no one, including his coaches will remember all of the good saves he made, just the blunder! I agree with The Griz, it wasn't all his doing but he had a major part in it and should have done much better, it's a bloody shame!

It was not 100% Borjan's fault. The pass back was poor and difficult to handle though he should have done better. The Liverpool player dived also as contact was minimal.

Amen.

At least he wasn't completely at sea, much like Mignolet was on the Ludogorets goal.  Both keepers made mistakes that cost their team's goals.  Liverpool just had extra quality in Balotelli's strike.

Just saw the highlights. Not as bad as what I had pictured. I'd dish out the blame 50-50 on that one. Of course it's a shame but he was put in a tough spot and I think that's how people will see it. Wasn't as if Borjan was acting irresponsibly, just made the wrong decision. It is easy for us to say he should have just hit the ball anywhere on his first touch.

Edit: Okay, after watching it several times, I want to point something else out....

The way Milan rushed off his line suggests he wanted his defenders to leave the ball - not play it. This makes me wonder whether or not he called "KEEPER" on that. I have a hard time imagining a keeper at this level NOT calling off his defender when he's coming off his line like that, so I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume the defender never heard him over the noise of the crowd. 

Why do Canadian soccer players always seem to find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?

Right up until the at penalty, really happy for Borjan that whole match, even after they scored the first goal, which he had no chance on. A bloody shame... he played his guts out and made some top class saves, but the only thing everyone's going to remember is him giving up the penalty.

I don't believe it was 100% his fault in my opinion, cause that ball either should have came to him clean or the defender should have put his foot through it. That was the initial mistake, so IMO defender is to blame as well, but having watched it a couple times I think in all honesty Borjan should have done a lot better there. The touch was a bit heavy, but the major problem was the fact that he dived in. The Liverpool player was very unlikely to score from there, and with his momentum was probably going to knock the ball out with his first touch anyways, so if he would have had the composure to stand back and usher him out the worst outcome probably would have been a corner.

Also his distribution was poor all game, but his shot stopping was world class. If the storyline stayed, a 1-1 heroic away draw at Anfield, maybe his new manager takes a look at that and says, "a little match practice, and settles his nerves a bit and we'll polish this diamond up a bit." A 2-1 scoreline, where practically on the last play of the game, that weakness, which has been evident all game costs them a penalty and a hard fought draw in the most calamitous fashion, his manager probably says, "forget this guy, when do I get my regular GK back?"

Life is a game of inches.

Like I said, he DID play his guts out and this would have been a huge confidence boost. I really hope it doesn't have the opposite effect. Guy's got such a great attitude. Hate to see this happen to him. Really REALLY feel for Borjan right now. 

Archived