Milan Borjan

Ruffian

Obviously MLS would be a lot better league for him to be playing in but given that he signed with an oligarch club he might be getting paid a lot better there. Also he might be worried about getting tied to a contract that restricts him transferring if he signs in MLS, a lot easier to transfer upwards if he stays in Europe.

I fully believe this especially looking at what happened to de Guzman, Hainault and Jakovic after MLS. (Bottom B2 side, Bad SPL team at the time, Average J. League team). MLS players know that once they leave the league, it's usually to go to a lower level. Those that get out to a higher level are either national team stars or Camilo.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fully believe this especially looking at what happened to de Guzman, Hainault and Jakovic after MLS. (Bottom B2 side, Bad SPL team at the time, Average J. League team). MLS players know that once they leave the league, it's usually to go to a lower level. Those that get out to a higher level are either national team stars or Camilo.

Debatable on Jakovic. I've always viewed his move as a small step up. At worse it's a lateral move in my eyes. I still think the J-League is a little better than MLS (for now) and when he left DC they were in shambles. So to me Dejan left for greener pastures.

Debatable on Jakovic. I've always viewed his move as a small step up. At worse it's a lateral move in my eyes. I still think the J-League is a little better than MLS (for now) and when he left DC they were in shambles. So to me Dejan left for greener pastures.

+1

Not to mention that the J-League team paid a fee for Jakovic.  JDG's move from MLS wasn't a bad one either, to be able to latch on at a B2 team halfway through the season and be a consistent starter that was a step up.  Hainault's was a very very small step down (if any) and it was just a half year thing where he was able to move on.

Hope this is a short (i.e. until end of season deal)... and then leaves for bigger club/better league in June.

This guy has career journeyman written all over him.

It's a shame because he could really benefit from a 3-5 year spell at a decent club in an appropriate league where some of his terrible habits could be coached out of him and some of his extreme talent could be nurtured. Still think a top Norwegian club, a high Championship or mid-low B2 ( or Spain B) side would be a nice long-term goal for him. What about a club in Argentina after his time in South America?

IMO Borjan needs to go to a league where his shot blocking and distribution skills are emphasized, somewhere Latin-ish. MLS, northern Europe etc. would be poor choices. At this point his weakness on aerial balls will likely never be corrected and a wise goalkeeping coach would talk him into staying home on anything in the air - though with his exuberance that might be hard to do as well. Perhaps with age he'll settle down and stop making rash mistakes and let the game come to him.

+1

Not to mention that the J-League team paid a fee for Jakovic.  JDG's move from MLS wasn't a bad one either, to be able to latch on at a B2 team halfway through the season and be a consistent starter that was a step up.  Hainault's was a very very small step down (if any) and it was just a half year thing where he was able to move on.

True on Hainault, and also for deGuzman as well. He played half a season of B2 before playing top flight in Greece. Hard to say if those are step downs or lateral moves.

Looks like Borjan received a last minute offer from Ludogorets Razgrad and signed there.  They're in Champions League group stage, up against Liverpool, Real Madrid, Basel.  Not sure if he'll be a starter or on the bench for them as they have two GK, both have played for Bulgaria.. 

Found this news item:  Unfortunately Milan Borjan’s move to FK Sarajevo was cancelled in the last minute. The goalkeeper opted instead for a move to Bulgarian side Ludogorets Razgrad.

“Champions League is the reason for my change. I never played in that competition and I always wanted to do that one day. This Tuesday I have a chance to play against Liverpool with Ludogorets. The Bulgarian league is much better in quality as well. It also has better facilities and services,” said Borjan.

He adds, “I agreed on everything with FK Sarajevo and all that was left was to sign the paper. However, Ludogorets offered me a contract in the last minute and it was an offer I could not reject.”

This guy has career journeyman written all over him.

It's a shame because he could really benefit from a 3-5 year spell at a decent club in an appropriate league where some of his terrible habits could be coached out of him and some of his extreme talent could be nurtured. Still think a top Norwegian club, a high Championship or mid-low B2 ( or Spain :cool: side would be a nice long-term goal for him. What about a club in Argentina after his time in South America?

Agreed... if that's not his very next move, and if his next move isn't this summer, I also fear that ship would have failed. Canada vs. Jamaica game was a classic illustration of this. multiple game saving stops, but lets in a goal that would have been a routine set piece save with half-decent positioning. I will cut him slack though, as he'd been up of a job for a long time and looked really sharp despite that. But yes, he needs a stable club situation and good couple years as an established starter in a well coached league, at a decent level of play, to iron out the kinks in his game, and realize his considerable potential. I think it's still not too late, but the clock is ticking.

Good to hear about Borjan. He won't be eligible for Champion's league because he signed after the registration deadline has past

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/09/88/17/2098817_DOWNLOAD.pdf

So then why is he quoted as saying he signed specifically for the chance to play Champion's league? Liverpool next week?

Hope he/his lawyer read the fine print here?

Agreed... if that's not his very next move, and if his next move isn't this summer, I also fear that ship would have failed. Canada vs. Jamaica game was a classic illustration of this. multiple game saving stops, but lets in a goal that would have been a routine set piece save with half-decent positioning. I will cut him slack though, as he'd been up of a job for a long time and looked really sharp despite that. But yes, he needs a stable club situation and good couple years as an established starter in a well coached league, at a decent level of play, to iron out the kinks in his game, and realize his considerable potential. I think it's still not too late, but the clock is ticking.

Funny how Borjan gets lambasted for this, and De Jong gets praised for his brilliant kick, but both goals, by De Jong, and the Jamaican player, were damn near identical.  In fact, I'd say the Jamaican's free kick was actually better.  Of course, the Canadians ran a dummy play, but still, the actual kick for the goal was very close.  I don't really blame Borjan, he almost got it, and as free kicks go, that was bloody excellently taken.

Funny how Borjan gets lambasted for this, and De Jong gets praised for his brilliant kick, but both goals, by De Jong, and the Jamaican player, were damn near identical.  In fact, I'd say the Jamaican's free kick was actually better.  Of course, the Canadians ran a dummy play, but still, the actual kick for the goal was very close.  I don't really blame Borjan, he almost got it, and as free kicks go, that was bloody excellently taken.

Fair point, wasn't taking anything away from Borjan, I still thought he was one of the stars of the match and large part of why we won. Just saying he could have done better on that play, and a more complete and more match-fit keeper would have tipped that one over the bar. I thought De Jong's free kick was a trickier shot to deal with because of the dumbie, because it was slightly better placed, and because it was hit with a little more zip...  Also Andre Blake wasn't exactly setting a world class standard himself.

Edit: speaking of De Jong... despite scoring the goal De Jong easily could have cost us the match with his hail Mary interception attempts! Seriously, I can't imagine a player at a level as competitive as the Bundasliga attempting something so rash, and not getting shipped out of town at the next transfer window... let alone trying it twice in one game. Makes me kind of wonder how seriously he was taking the match. I don't watch his club play enough to know if he'd be prone to similar mistakes at club level, but don't imagine they'd keep him around very long if he was. 

Archived