Ben Fisk

Dub Narcotic

I hope this isn't the end of Fisk.  From what UT says he prob wasn't even making a living in Spain.  If the CPL was up and running he could at least come home to that after getting chewed up in Europe.  He is what..23??  Too young to give up and become an angry poster on the voyageur forums.  

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I hope this isn't the end of Fisk.  From what UT says he prob wasn't even making a living in Spain.  If the CPL was up and running he could at least come home to that after getting chewed up in Europe.  He is what..23??  Too young to give up and become an angry poster on the voyageur forums.  

Well, he could still try his luck elsewhere in the lower tiers of Europe or give one of the NASL teams a call. I wonder how he would compare to someone like Carl Haworth, who gets decent minutes in Ottawa.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Actually, him being on a B team, he would have been, but not a lot. I was trying to say that the rest of the 4th tier is semi-pro and a lot have to work other jobs, but a pro club with a B team would pay their B players to just play, since it is a development investment. I imagine he was getting just over 2000 euros a month and some expenses, like housing and maybe meals. If he was getting three grand I'd be surprised.

18 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Problem is, in Spanish 3rd division, fourth tier, there are only a few players who can make a living. Those on B teams, younger guys the main club is paying to develop, and those on historically strong teams that have stupidly slipped down. And then the oddities with money and no one knows how. It was different before the financial crisis, up to 2009, when you could make 25 thousand euros, but not any more.

Ben was at Coruxo before, I think if he wants to stay in Spain, he could try a 2B team, and make a middle class wage. I was checking his instagram etc for hints and I see he has been back in Van, has "interests" there, it may be just a break but I wonder if he wants to insist on Spain or even Europe, or not.

VWFC2 maybe?

3 hours ago, shamrock said:

You could do worse than living in Spain, getting paid 2000 € for doing what you love. But it doesn't look like he's going to progress a lot so at some point you might have to consider other options. 

If you are a twenty year old in Spain and have played for a B team of a major club, it does not necessarily mean that much. There are so many players like that. Sure, some clubs bring up players, Busquets was brought from Barça B when in 4th tier by Guardiola into the first team, and replaced Toure Yaya. But that is exceptional

I know an interesting case. I worked with a guy who was at Barça u-19 with Valdes, Arteta, and never played higher than this same tier, 4th, making no more than 1000 a month. He works for the sports dept of the City of Barcelona. His kid brother played for the B team of Espanyol, Valladolid, then Zaragoza, all strong clubs, never made a first team appearance. Had one year on a 2B team that relegated. Is now playing for a 4th tier team back in their home town up the coast. I guess he must coach some kids team for them in the evening and has a day job. Two brothers at age 19 at a very high level, neither with a decent pro career.

16 hours ago, shamrock said:

Not sure if I can understand your point but it's hard to become a pro, sure. Hence the level of Spanish football ATM. Sometimes it seems every EPL team needs at least one Spanish player in the squad. 

I guess I am agreeing with that word: "Finland"

I understand it must be hard to accept you were playing at this level and then nothing comes out of it, but going to Poland or Scandinavia or some other league and making a nice salary and playing football, don't see why that is such a bad prospect for a 20 year old.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like the Eddies are running a very small roster so I hope that means he gets some playing time.  We'll see how much he has improved after his spanish adventure.  Good for the eddies bringing in a CDN boy, it seemed like all the CDN content was skipping town lately.  

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

Sounds like the Eddies are running a very small roster so I hope that means he gets some playing time.  We'll see how much he has improved after his spanish adventure.  Good for the eddies bringing in a CDN boy, it seemed like all the CDN content was skipping town lately.  

If he does sign, I would almost suggest that he would be starting. Edmonton is very thin, particularly on the wings right now, and, while I love me some (Shamit) Sham-wow, the club needs more experience.

Millers words seem to suggest they have an offer lined-up for him. They sure could use some depth indeed...

Shamit Shome has been a huge surprise for me and I guess the league as well. Very mature play, tidy passing and the other players seem to trust him with the ball. Looks very confident.

Shamit Shome is a stud. Playing day in and day out as 18/19 year old. It's in the best interest of the club if he continues to play every game. Neil Hvaltey NASL veteran said on twitter shamit is a top footballer. Shamit must have been 16/17 at the time when they trained together.

2 hours ago, jedinathan said:

everyone with FCEd that I know of is very high on Shome. Not convinced he wouldn't be replaced by someone like Fisk, but IMO that's just better for his development to work with a player with more world experience. 

Isn't Shome a central midfielder? I haven't seen much of FCE this season but I could swear he plays in the middle for Canada.

Archived