Ben Fisk

Dub Narcotic

Multiple twitter reports have Ben Fisk signing his first non-PDL professional contract with Coruxo FC of Spanish Segunda División B Group 1.

Long-time member of the Whitecaps residency, Fisk played PDL for the Whitecaps as well as a brief loan spell with Charleston Battery of the USL but was never offered a senior contract with Vancouver. Capped at the U-20 level for Canada and has also trained with the senior team.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting move.

2nd Div. B is the 3rd tier in Spain.

Not sure how good that level of competition is but it is a longer season and there is a higher chance to get noticed by bitter clubs.

Looks like Spain may become our new Germany. A place for Canadians to play and develop because there just doesn't seem to be much room for them on the 5 Canadian professional teams.

I wonder if having a Spanish head coach for the MNT is paying some dividends.

Definitely good to see young Canadians find opportunities to play meaningful games in an environment that will challenge them.  Segunda B is a good level for a player like Fisk.  

If I'm not mistaken Racing Santander was playing in that division last season.

He will be living close to Vigo, which s a lovely city, so well done for Ben

• 11 months later...

I thought Ben was very good at the Pan-Am Games. Showed a good attacking instinct, beat players wide and created chances in the 18.  Good speed and ball control.

He's behind Akindele at Left Mid for the senior team but he's in the mix after that with Tissot, Petrasso, Babouli and others.

Signed with Deportivo La Coruna (B?).

Good for you, good catch. Did not expect that at all. Here it is: http://www.canaldeportivo.com/servlet/es.iris.servlets.Noticias?accion=4&ver=1&nid=30800&mid=twfb

That makes two Canucks with Depor, Piette on loan and Ben with the B. He has to score in 3rd Div to be noticed though. Can't have a quiet year as he'll be playing a tier lower.

Good for you, good catch. Did not expect that at all. Here it is: http://www.canaldeportivo.com/servlet/es.iris.servlets.Noticias?accion=4&ver=1&nid=30800&mid=twfb

That makes two Canucks with Depor, Piette on loan and Ben with the B. He has to score in 3rd Div to be noticed though. Can't have a quiet year as he'll be playing a tier lower.

But re-signing with Vancouver for garbage minutes/USL2 is paying off for him. I'm glad I've always thought he was very exciting player.

He's 22 years old. I don't think he is going to ever be good enough for top division ball. He'll appear on the U23 teams and then I expect he'll disappear and just play lower level for however long he plays. His only saving grace is the Canadian league.

He's 22 years old. I don't think he is going to ever be good enough for top division ball. He'll appear on the U23 teams and then I expect he'll disappear and just play lower level for however long he plays. His only saving grace is the Canadian league.

Not so sure about that, wouldn't write him off that easily.... crazier things have happened.

Olivier Occean was playing for Southern Connecticut State University at 22 years old and went on to lead B2 in scoring and play in the bundeslinga.

Josh Simpson was playing for the Boulder Rapids Reserves at 21. Went on to play top division in Turkey and Switzerland.

Jakovic at 22 was playing for u of Alabama Birmingham, went on to play top division in USA and Japan.

... you get the idea.

I haven't seen a ton from Fisk but I like what I have seen. I think he has potential to emulate what Simpson has done and i'm happy he is attached to a big club. Now he needs to kill it this year and give the top team a reason to take note. Would be awesome to see him and Piette with the first team this cycle.

I wasn't a fan of Fisk after the 2013 u20s, he seemed selfish and wanted to cut in on his right and shoot every time he got the ball.  In the Pan Ams that just passed his stock went up in my eyes, he seems to be developing.. not at the stage for a call up but he could get one in the future.  

In basketball, if someone is 22, and isn't either already 2 or 3 years into the NBA, it's very rare they all of a sudden become a top scorer on an NBA team.  There's the odd story of the 3rd round draft pick that has a couple of bad years and then turns it on at age 22 or 23, or even 24...

But more often if you are picked out as a huge talent at 15, 16, 17 you have a larger shot of making it.  It's partly politics, it's partly talent.

I don't know why we keep insisting that 22 is still an age where you have huge development potential.  I'm more with Vince.  If he even ever makes Deportivo, it's not as though he's going to be some massively explosive talent that's starting every second game and scoring 10+ goals a year in La Liga.

Is he still developing?  Potentially, but I think at 22 more often than not, what you see if what you get.  Not always, but usually.

That said, I haven't personally seen a lot of Ben Fisk, so if politics is keeping some hugely massive talent from shining, fine, but if that's the case, he should absolutely tear up 3rd division soccer and score 10+ goals, no?  

I suspect that won't be the case, and that Vince is spot on.  Hopefully I'm mistaken.

I agree with you Madmonte to a point.  If its in England and A guy is 22 and hasn't made it in football, sure.  Or if a 22 year old guy hasn't made it in hockey in Canada.  But with the lack of opportunities in Canada, lack of interest and coaching etc, it would not surprise me if we had some decent talent that didn't actually get the proper training, coaching attention etc until his late teens and might still be able to turn that into a decent talent.  I do agree that there prob isn't any messi or Ronaldo, or maybe even a dero or deVos that don't get noticed in their mid teens, but we cant be choosy.  The more opportunites for "fisk" type players, the longer they can stay in pro ranks, I do think there are chances some of those guys might just turn into decent pros and carve out CMNT spots for themselves. 

In basketball, if someone is 22, and isn't either already 2 or 3 years into the NBA, it's very rare they all of a sudden become a top scorer on an NBA team. There's the odd story of the 3rd round draft pick that has a couple of bad years and then turns it on at age 22 or 23, or even 24...

But more often if you are picked out as a huge talent at 15, 16, 17 you have a larger shot of making it. It's partly politics, it's partly talent.

I don't know why we keep insisting that 22 is still an age where you have huge development potential. I'm more with Vince. If he even ever makes Deportivo, it's not as though he's going to be some massively explosive talent that's starting every second game and scoring 10+ goals a year in La Liga.

Is he still developing? Potentially, but I think at 22 more often than not, what you see if what you get. Not always, but usually.

That said, I haven't personally seen a lot of Ben Fisk, so if politics is keeping some hugely massive talent from shining, fine, but if that's the case, he should absolutely tear up 3rd division soccer and score 10+ goals, no?

I suspect that won't be the case, and that Vince is spot on. Hopefully I'm mistaken.

All good points. However, we don't need him to be scoring +10 goals in la liga (although it would be nice). I will consider him a success if he gets a cup of coffee with Deportivo's top team and then goes on to have a solid career in Segunda. Or maybe a few appearances with Deportivo is enough to transfer to a mid table team in Portugal or the Netherlands and make a name for himself there in his mid twenties.

Archived