Jump to content

Mark-Anthony Kaye


Dub Narcotic
 Share

Recommended Posts

Kaye has been good overall for us in this tournament after a bit of a shaky start in the first match, a couple of really poor passes by him vs the Ticos put us under some pressure, if he starts those are the things that a team like Mexico more often than not punishes you for!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

He's a prominent and vocal member of the MLSPA so if he's mad we'll probably hear about it publicly.

Maybe that was the problem and part of the reason for the trade?  Maybe it is a latter day Ted Lindsay.  Or more likely that LAFC is selling at the highest return on a guy with other prospects or transfer targets in view. 

I think he will do well in Colorado.  Acosta can do the graft work.  Interestingly enough, I never thought Atuesta was as effective without Kaye beside at LAFC  and vice versa.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Maybe that was the problem and part of the reason for the trade?  Maybe it is a latter day Ted Lindsay.  Or more likely that LAFC is selling at the highest return on a guy with other prospects or transfer targets in view. 

I think he will do well in Colorado.  Acosta can do the graft work.  Interestingly enough, I never thought Atuesta was as effective without Kaye beside at LAFC  and vice versa.  

I noticed there's a 10% sell on clause as part of the deal, should Kaye move abroad. 

Edit: Americans on reddit are speculating whether this is a sign that Acosta is going to Europe, but if you ask me Kaye is the more likely of the two to get a European move. He's on 250kish and Acosta is making over a million in guaranteed salary .

Nobody is paying Acosta that in Europe, but Kaye could probably go to a club like Genk and double his salary.

Edited by Obinna
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is on his final year with a club option for '22 so I'm getting the impression this is a "get what we can while we can" move.

If he's staying in MLS we'll know because it would be hard to imagine a fresh contract isn't already waiting for his signature in Colorado if he was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I noticed there's a 10% sell on clause as part of the deal, should Kaye move abroad. 

Edit: Americans on reddit are speculating whether this is a sign that Acosta is going to Europe, but if you ask me Kaye is the more likely of the two to get a European move. He's on 250kish and Acosta is making over a million in guaranteed salary .

Nobody is paying Acosta that in Europe, but Kaye could probably go to a club like Genk and double his salary.

Acosta and Cole Bassett both linked to Europe moves in recent weeks. Gives the Rapids options. I'm pretty excited to watch that midfield for the short time they'll likely be together. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Acosta and Cole Bassett both linked to Europe moves in recent weeks. Gives the Rapids options. I'm pretty excited to watch that midfield for the short time they'll likely be together. 

Thanks. That makes sense why people were talking about Acosta moving on. Cole Bassett I understand, but I hadn't heard any of the Acosta rumors. If they keep that midfield together they'll be very strong and if Acosta moves on Kaye can cover for that. Smart move by the Rapids and LAFC get a million in GAM and a sell-on if Kaye moves. Seems like a win for both teams.

Edit: Where's he been linked? I am googling transfer rumors for him but can't find much (talking Acosta).

Edited by Obinna
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really underwhelmed for him. He needed out of LA, criminal how they turned on him. Was hoping for much better. Why the heck Whitecaps should have been all over this. Wonder how much he even knew about it. 

Hope he can adjust and continue to kick on and hopefully get out of the MLS and over the pond asap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Hoping he can get the hell out of MLS after this season. The club option for 2022 doent have to mean anything if you have the right agent. Wonder how ambitious he is about going to Europe. 

While Larin did force Orlando's hand, they did get a $2M transfer fee for him, (not sure if that was market value at the time)so he wouldn't be going on a free, Vancouver also received a fee for that player who left for Mexico.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

While Larin did force Orlando's hand, they did get a $2M transfer fee for him, (not sure if that was market value at the time)so he wouldn't be going on a free, Vancouver also received a fee for that player who left for Mexico.

I can't understand MLS rules, so what is a club option? 

I understand that he could do the same as both Camilo and Larin, then. I also get that he can just go, because there is some legal aspect that the MLS does not want to push because their rules would be exposed as contrary to FIFA regulations in transfers. But I've forgotten the details, which were all hashed through with the Larin move. 

So club options are bogus, is that it? But some compensation must be made, regardless of the club where is was wanting to sell or not, or accepting a given quantity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I can't understand MLS rules, so what is a club option? 

 

The club has the option to extend the contract by one year with terms already indicated in the contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think anyone has tested MLS club options in court yet, so we don't really know how valid they are. There is case law from European soccer and the test for whether an option is valid or not is pretty open and case specific, so it's tough to speculate whether or not MLS options are valid (I would imagine, I haven't done any deep analysis or anything).

I think MLS and foreign clubs will continue to 'settle' when players want to leave when the club option is involved as I don't think they would want to set any precedent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

LAFC fans are celebrating this hard. One even said it's his birthday and this was the greatest gift he could get.

Gives you a sense of how hated he's become over the last couple of seasons.

Maybe I am a biased Canadian, but the celebration doesn't seem rational to me.

Does the move make sense for LAFC? Sure. Do they need to celebrate it? Not really. It's a piece of business that moves the team forward.

I take all of their complaints about him playing poorly into consideration, but he was still starting and/or playing heavy minutes, so was he REALLY that bad for them, or did he just become the whipping boy? Some even called for Bob Bradley's head just for starting him over Cinfuentes, which tells you everything you need to know about their delusion. 

In the end, I think they mostly just want minutes going to their young, deserving Ecuadorian international and Kaye was getting in the way of that. He's the oldest of their midfield 3 and was (probably) playing the worst football. If he was the absolute disaster fans are making him out to be he wouldn't of been given the chance to play through it, because it would have hurt the team too much.

Kaye is largely a confidence player I think, which explains why he's been good-to-great for Canada in 2021, despite the club struggles. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...