Jump to content
Dub Narcotic

Mark-Anthony Kaye

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

In the context of this thread, no it didn't.

But the post itself holds true. Let's keep politics and social issues off the boards.

We all feel compelled when we agree with the issue, but there will always be someone tempted to counter because they disagree. Next thing you know, it gets messy and out of control and drives people away.

If you insist to play that game because it is your right, I cannot stop you. I am not a moderator. I just don't want this place to keep trending in this direction.

It was relevant to the thread because MAK is a vocal leader on LAFC, who has been outspoken on this particular issue, and LAFC followed the NBA's lead in boycotting their game. 

Burying our heads in the sand is not going to make this issue go away, and it's now directly affecting MAK's (and likely others') playing time. Whether you agree with the issue or not, it was completely relevant to discuss in here, and it still is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RS said:

It was relevant to the thread because MAK is a vocal leader on LAFC, who has been outspoken on this particular issue, and LAFC followed the NBA's lead in boycotting their game. 

Burying our heads in the sand is not going to make this issue go away, and it's now directly affecting MAK's (and likely others') playing time. Whether you agree with the issue or not, it was completely relevant to discuss in here, and it still is.

Yeah, him missing the game is relevant. Anything about the issue isn't. The only thing making the issue relevant to this thread is that it caused him to miss the game.

That is the end of it now. Game has been missed. Let's get back to soccer. 

Back to the prospect of Kaye leaving MLS, I really think it is time for him to make that step. To be honest, I am a little disappointed it has not happened yet. His stated goal is to go play in Europe. You see players like Cannon now being linked with a move away. I think it would do him well to move sooner than later. He is actually 4 years older than Cannon, I think, so Kaye is not a young player. I don't think he really has a big window here to move. Sooner than later would be best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as we may want these discussions to be focused on what players are doing on the field, off-field actions are worth considering as well.

MAK is currently one of the captains of LAFC and in most cases a player achieves this through their leadership, integrity and work ethic.

From a purely practical perspective a talented national team filled with players who only look out for themselves and get themselves into trouble off the field will not perform as well as a less talented team that is focused and cohesive. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Yeah, him missing the game is relevant. Anything about the issue isn't. The only thing making the issue relevant to this thread is that it caused him to miss the game.

No re-read what you write and find the contradiction...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

No re-read what you write and find the contradiction...

To be clear, I was wrong.

I was wrong  because the poster who was speculating that Kaye would not play was not just spitballing given what is happening in Wisconsin. That incident is very sad and surely merits discussion, somewhere on the internet, but not here.

The poster never provided anything in terms of a link or source, which is why I jump the gun, but I was wrong to do so in this case.

So I do not think you and I have a disagreement here, unless you believe we should be talking about politics and social issues in a Mark Anthony Kaye thread. In that case, I very much disagree with you.

Once again, if I want to see what he has to say about social justice, I will refer to his Instagram. We really do not need to include that here, unless we want to sift through the clutter to get to his football.

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Obinna said:

To be clear, I was wrong.

I was wrong  because the poster who was speculating that Kaye would not play was not just spitballing given what is happening in Wisconsin. That incident is very sad and surely merits discussion, somewhere on the internet, but not here.

The poster never provided anything in terms of a link or source, which is why I jump the gun, but I was wrong to do so in this case.

So I do not think you and I have a disagreement here, unless you believe we should be talking about politics and social issues in a Mark Anthony Kaye thread. In that case, I very much disagree with you.

Once again, if I want to see what he has to say about social justice, I will refer to his Instagram. We really do not need to include that here, unless we want to sift through the clutter to get to his football.

I mean I mostly agree with you.. except for dismissing and downplaying the public execution of visible minorities by law enforcement officers as "politics"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

I mean I mostly agree with you.. except for dismissing and downplaying the public execution of visible minorities by law enforcement officers as "politics"

The incident itself is not political whatsoever. The discussions about it can turn political because the BLM organization are a socio-political movement. That is the last thing I will say on it here, but you are more than welcome to PM me.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, One American said:

He's ranked down in the 200s on WhoScored. Maybe he needs to focus more on his playing. Especially with big qualifiers coming up. 

I think his play is just fine. More to the point, I imagine Kaye is going to be looking very seriously at any offer that gets him out of the US. He will be in Europe before too long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, One American said:

He's ranked down in the 200s on WhoScored. Maybe he needs to focus more on his playing. Especially with big qualifiers coming up. 

I’ve been saying it for a while but his play has massively dropped off from two years ago IMO. I’ve seen almost every LAFC match (exciting team with Rossi and Vella) and have had the chance to see a lot of MAK. He is incredibly erratic and needlessly gives it away so frequently and often leaves his team vulnerable to very dangerous counters. 
i would be very curious where in Europe he would have interest from. I know last year there were rumours about some lower table EPL teams having interest but I personally don’t think he is at the level. He’s also at the age (25) where he’s not seen as a prospect anymore.

we shall see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I like him.  A lot.  If his play is off according to the analytics (which I sometimes take with a block of salt), so be it.  Form is temporary, class is permanent.  He can dribble out of trouble while under pressure and can hit some killer incisive passes to create scoring chances. If Bradley the Elder isn't happy, then he can trade him to Vancouver for Teibert and allocation.

There you go, Axel: I've got your first big transaction ready to go 😉

Edited by BearcatSA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I like him.  A lot.  If his play is off according to the analytics (which I sometimes take with a block of salt), so be it.  Form is temporary, class is permanent.  He can dribble out of trouble while under pressure and can hit some killer incisive passes to create scoring chances. If Bradley the Elder isn't happy, then he can trade him to Vancouver for Teibert and allocation.

There you go, Axel: I've got your first big transaction ready to go 😉

Even if there is a slight drop of form, I am not too worried about it. Things like giving the ball away are largely a matter of concentration. I would be more concerned if we notice a physical decline. His ability to glide around the pitch and chew up ground is a big strength. He will continue to have good feet and feed the attacking players, I think.

With news about Ferdi trending a little more positive, does his inclusion threaten MAK’s game time? I would think that is worth at least a discussion, since both are midfielders who play in the middle, most of the time. Do they bring different qualities? I think so. My sense is that Arfield and Osorio are more direct competition, but those two also compete with Kaye for a spot on the field.

It would be interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Even if there is a slight drop of form, I am not too worried about it. Things like giving the ball away are largely a matter of concentration. I would be more concerned if we notice a physical decline. His ability to glide around the pitch and chew up ground is a big strength. He will continue to have good feet and feed the attacking players, I think.

With news about Ferdi trending a little more positive, does his inclusion threaten MAK’s game time? I would think that is worth at least a discussion, since both are midfielders who play in the middle, most of the time. Do they bring different qualities? I think so. My sense is that Arfield and Osorio are more direct competition, but those two also compete with Kaye for a spot on the field.

It would be interesting.

they are very different players, ferdi is a 10 who can play the wing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

they are very different players, ferdi is a 10 who can play the wing. 

Yup I agree. I tend to think Osorio or Arfield would be more direct competition, but I throw Kaye in there too assuming we have at least one of Eustáquio/Piette/Hutchinson as a defensive midfielder.

That perhaps leaves 2 spots open for Ferdi/Osorio/Arfield/Kaye. 

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

You realize how much of a dick move it is to post that kind of inflammatory ******** when everyone wants to move on - right? 

I realized hence the edit. I hit reply looking at the second last page thinking it continued to the last page, which it did not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

You realize how much of a dick move it is to post that kind of inflammatory ******** when everyone wants to move on - right? 

What @Macksam doesn't seem to realize is that I can read his edit history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Even if there is a slight drop of form, I am not too worried about it. Things like giving the ball away are largely a matter of concentration. I would be more concerned if we notice a physical decline. His ability to glide around the pitch and chew up ground is a big strength. He will continue to have good feet and feed the attacking players, I think.

With news about Ferdi trending a little more positive, does his inclusion threaten MAK’s game time? I would think that is worth at least a discussion, since both are midfielders who play in the middle, most of the time. Do they bring different qualities? I think so. My sense is that Arfield and Osorio are more direct competition, but those two also compete with Kaye for a spot on the field.

It would be interesting.

Having more high quality players is never a problem.

Herdman is pretty committed to a 3 central midfield arrangement so I don’t see that changing.  The wing, striker and full back arrangement is normally where the change is.

So the 3 midfield arrangement with a DM and 2 CM is typically what we will play.  Competition for all 3 of those roles is tough as it should be.

When he’s in form MAK is right in the mix along with Arfield and Osorio for those CM roles.  Adding Ferdi is only going to make our midfield better by competition but will also strengthen our 2026 team when Arfield and Osorio will probably be aging.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, One American said:

He's ranked down in the 200s on WhoScored. Maybe he needs to focus more on his playing. Especially with big qualifiers coming up. 

What a fitting name...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In his most recent presser, Bradley the Elder clearly feels the team's poor performances have to do with some guys  being "mentally just not where they need to be."

C'mon Axel!  The time is right!  Get Johnny Thorrington on Zoom now!  Throw Godoy into the deal (I think he is malingering) I suggested with Teibert and Al O'cation to get Kaye.  They get CB help (the Argie will make a miraculous recovery, just watch!) and the Caps get a play maker back in Canada!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...