Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

39 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Kaye had a much better game last night. He's still not in top form, but you can see what he's capable of. He is a tidy player with a great engine and he passes the ball well. He needs to improve his passing with his right foot, but his left foot is magic, and his vision is terrific. I'd love to see him get another full year with LAFC. He still has more to learn from Bradley, I feel. And then to Europe? We kind of need MAK to become our next Hutch, no?

The criticisms people have said against Kaye are I think overdone.   He is one of the best box to box midfielders in MLS and a really big reason that LAFC are so good in possession.

I think at this point in his career he should be aspiring to a better league while he can.  Belgium or the Netherlands would be a good spot for him to shine.

4 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

The criticisms people have said against Kaye are I think overdone.   He is one of the best box to box midfielders in MLS and a really big reason that LAFC are so good in possession.

I think at this point in his career he should be aspiring to a better league while he can.  Belgium or the Netherlands would be a good spot for him to shine.

For  my money, he's prime Michael Bradley with better offensive instincts.

Bradley and Kaye don't really play the same kind of passes. Bradley's signature pass is that crossfield diagonal, which he can brilliantly hit on a dime. Kaye is more about those line splitting passes along the floor, or sometimes he plays these chipped passes to send players in.

When I think of Bradley it is distributor first and playmaker second. For Kaye it is the opposite.

Edited by Obinna

52 minutes ago, canadianbacons said:

Not only is he a great passer, I think he's more dangerous as a secondary source of goals than Bradley ever was.

Incredibly, Bradley once scored 15 goals in an Eredivisie season. When he was younger he would often play as a true dynamic box to box midfielder or even a Lampard style late runner. However, his natural inclination has always been to be on the ball in the deep positions. Memorably, Klinsmann tried using him as a 10 and he would often drop beyond the two holding midfielders to pick up the ball. This led to some REALLY disjointed US performances.

To me, Bradley is a first function midfielder and Kaye is a second function midfielder. Both could work together in a squad, but both are different players and I don't think it a comparison makes sense.

23 hours ago, El Diego said:

Incredibly, Bradley once scored 15 goals in an Eredivisie season. When he was younger he would often play as a true dynamic box to box midfielder or even a Lampard style late runner. However, his natural inclination has always been to be on the ball in the deep positions. Memorably, Klinsmann tried using him as a 10 and he would often drop beyond the two holding midfielders to pick up the ball. This led to some REALLY disjointed US performances.

To me, Bradley is a first function midfielder and Kaye is a second function midfielder. Both could work together in a squad, but both are different players and I don't think it a comparison makes sense.

Agree. I see Kaye as the eventual replacement of Arfield positionally, and also as our future Captain. 

21 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Agree. I see Kaye as the eventual replacement of Arfield positionally, and also as our future Captain. 

Yeah it's interesting, because we have Kaye wearing the armband right now for LAFC and Teibert doing the same for the Whitecaps. Piette is often the captain for the Impact and I could see Jonathan Osorio wearing the Toronto armband in the future as well. 

We are in good shape.

5 minutes ago, SF said:

Does anyone know what TFC didn't see in him?  Seems crazy they would have let a player of his caliber leave.

I almost, don't like reading these statements. I understand them, but the reality is teams are always going to miss players that trained right underneath their noses. It's the nature of the game...

25 minutes ago, SF said:

Does anyone know what TFC didn't see in him?  Seems crazy they would have let a player of his caliber leave.

The talent was always there, but breaking into Toronto FC as a young player is very hard. Look at Liam Fraser.

Kaye wouldn't have reached his potential to become the player he is if he never left Toronto.  

Hard to say Toronto s**t the bed on Kaye.  Both OZ & B Bradley saw something in him.  So good on them.  His breakthrough at club level didn't really happen until he was 23/24 when he signed with an expansion MLS team (albeit a team that has been arguably the best team for a couple years).  The case with MAK could just be a little bit of a late bloomer.

Good for him though.  His route wasn't easy but he's become an elite MLS midfielder and an integral part of our national program.

Edited by Corazon

4 hours ago, maccaliam said:

I think I recall Kaye saying his attitude was a issue, and being released by TFC was a wake-up call he needed. He said it helped push him on to the next level, and he has no hard feelings. 

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

TFC crapped the bed with Kaye badly. There is no excuse for that level of negligence in player identification and development. But at least they they reclaimed and revived the career of another major CanMNT player this cycle - Laryea. 

These are back-to-back posts.

I do love this board sometimes. 🤣

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Big game for Kaye and his mates against a "banana peel" opponent tonight.  Potential for a letdown after convincingly eliminating a (normally) tough defensive in the 16s round.  I look forward to seeing him at his attacking best!

Three (hopefully four?) Canadians in this match gives it a bit more interest.

Edited by Lansdude