Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

5 hours ago, Macksam said:

Who is he referring to?

There is a whole bunch including the mainstream media like espn & si. Plus, online sites like deadspin. Lots on twitter - lot of people opining on Canada even though they're largely clueless about our roster. One was even about MAK being our second best player.

1 hour ago, red card said:

There is a whole bunch including the mainstream media like espn & si. Plus, online sites like deadspin. Lots on twitter - lot of people opining on Canada even though they're largely clueless about our roster. One was even about MAK being our second best player.

Jesus christ, American soccer fans are so clueless!

13 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

the mls subreddit is getting all upset over this tweet. https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/djs0ab/markanthony_kaye_the_amount_of_disrespect_the/  

I love how their fans think we don't belong at the same table as Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador, but yet they deserve to be at the table with Mexico? Yeah it's only one game we won but maybe they should stop thinking and comparing the USMNT to Mexico and European squads and good South American squads after all of their awful performances over the last 2-3 years. Canada is way closer to the quality of the USMNT than the US is to Mexico. Their cognitive dissonance is astonishing 

24 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

I love how their fans think we don't belong at the same table as Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador, but yet they deserve to be at the table with Mexico? Yeah it's only one game we won but maybe they should stop thinking and comparing the USMNT to Mexico and European squads and good South American squads after all of their awful performances over the last 2-3 years. Canada is way closer to the quality of the USMNT than the US is to Mexico. Their cognitive dissonance is astonishing 

El Salvador?! These people have no clue about football - just take a cursory look at our rosters.  I’m fairly sure that not a single player from El Salvador would be at the level to receive a Canada call... and I have a decent knowledge of their pool.

Does everyone just see “Canada” and assume things? A google search too tough?  But somehow everyone knows Davies, Larin and MAK so that can’t be true.  It’s actually hilarious how stupid these people are. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

Dare I say It? Are these people bigots against Canadians? We have 40 million people. 6th highest registration of soccer players on the planet. Athletic, strong, healthy, diverse, competitive  people. But we just possibly can't be as good at soccer as Costa Rica and El Salvadore? Or god forbid the fatest laziest planet on earth,  America? I genuinely feel offended by this ignorance. Or maybe I just feel sorry for them because they're all about to get a rude awakening 

Edited by SpursFlu

3 hours ago, red card said:

I felt unhealthy amounts of rage when I was reading this pundits terrible takes two days ago. Just a total lack of self awareness. 

8 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

the mls subreddit is getting all upset over this tweet. https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/djs0ab/markanthony_kaye_the_amount_of_disrespect_the/  

The post I made right before this one also applies here. 

Way to miss the point everyone! We’re not expecting to be praised for beating you guys. We’re not angry that you guys are complaining about your team underperforming the last few years. 

It’s your clueless media saying stupid shit about our team. We’re not Unattached FC anymore. That unnamed player didn’t score on us after eating a bunch of wings. We’re not a minnow, stop reacting like you just lost to US Virgin Islands. And no, we didn’t luck out after losing our “2nd best player”. 

20 minutes ago, Bdog said:

The post I made right before this one also applies here. 

Way to miss the point everyone! We’re not expecting to be praised for beating you guys. We’re not angry that you guys are complaining about your team underperforming the last few years. 

It’s your clueless media saying stupid **** about our team. We’re not Unattached FC anymore. That unnamed player didn’t score on us after eating a bunch of wings. We’re not a minnow, stop reacting like you just lost to US Virgin Islands. And no, we didn’t luck out after losing our “2nd best player”. 

I am sure this has been said already, but the only reason the US soccer pundits NEED to diminish our team is so they do not have to accept the reality that their pool of players is simply mediocre at best, at least in terms of world football. They want to believe they are a world class footy nation and you cannot be world class if you lose to lowly Canada. (Which, to be fair, is mostly true.) So, instead of acknowledging they have a mostly mediocre crop of players--ie. admit the US is NOT world class--they make the argument that their team should have beat our guys because we've got shi.te players, which is all a way to say that the problem falls ENTIRELY on Berhalter's shoulders. But this is utter crap, and if US soccer believes this narrative, then they will end up taking action that does not stem from reality.  Yes, Berhalter is trying to establish a system his players cannot execute, and I wonder if he's the ability to build a winning culture--he seems soft in too many places--and he sure as hell got out coached by Herdman in Toronto, but he is not the sole problem here. The very notion that the US should be world class is aspirational at best, and while I am a huge fan of setting big goals and charting a path to achieve those goals, a critical part of success comes from self-knowledge, from basing your decision-making and planning and expectations on the data, on reality.  Does the US need a different coach? Hell yeah? But the entire US soccer culture--fans, media, players, US Soccer--needs a shake up. They need to accept that their player pool is B-list at best, and then build an intelligent plan based on that fact.  But this does not fall only on Berhalter's shoulders. The problem seems cultural as much as anything else.

What does this mean for us? Nothing, really.  We need to focus on our shi.t.  We need to make sure we build our culture--fans, media, players, coaching, admin, CSA--on a clear understanding of who we really are.  And we're doing that! We've taken huge steps forward in the past several years. There is much more yet to do!  Let's keep focussing on who we are and what we want to achieve.

42 minutes ago, TFC07 said:

People need to stop caring what they (US media and fans) are saying about us (like many soccer nations do when comes to Americans).   Focus on our side and criticize Canadians jumping on bandwagon after this win then jumping off when CMNT lose.  

Jumping off may be an issue, but our wagon is big and can hold many more people. 

All aboard!!

On 10/19/2019 at 1:51 AM, Chad_Impact said:

I felt unhealthy amounts of rage when I was reading this pundits terrible takes two days ago. Just a total lack of self awareness. 

Being an alphabet person might have something to do with it...then again it might not.

Edited by Macksam

I kind of love reading/watching the American comments about our team. It's their job, so they should know better (especially Matt Doyle from mlssoccer.com), but I wouldn't blame the American soccer fans for their ignorance. The majority of soccer fans in Canada think the same thing. That's why there were 17k fans at the game instead of 30k (or whatever BMO holds these days).

As for MAK pulling up lame, people have explained why it's the right thing to do, but I'll just add one more thing to the fact that it's going to get worse before it gets better. It's not just about selfishly not wanting to sacrifice your body. If you stay out until you've fully torn your hamstring, you don't know what the situation will be when it happens. Maybe it happens while tracking a runner and the injury costs us a goal when you knew you couldn't last much longer anyways. Now you are still subbed out early, your recovery time is much longer, and we are down 1-0.