Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

1 hour ago, BFBF said:

I know people might not want to hear this because we want total Canadian commitment, But my guess is he had one eye on a MLS championship. I think it is smarter for him to be subbed out and stay healthy than keep going and be out for the playoffs and possibly November. It worked out in the end, and I am hopeful he will be fine.

Yeah, having a breakout game for the National team in one of the most important CMNT games in years would do nothing for his career. Totally worth his  coach and teammates seeing through a fake injury and calling him out on it because he's way too good to worry about team chemistry and losing his spot on the roster.

I think he was injured.  I think it may not have been really serious at the time he came off, but a hamstring pull/strain isn’t one of those things you can just run off (like a knock to the ankle). In my past experience (playing in the heady heights of the PEI first division) hamstring issues never get better with continued play.  

So did he have an eye on upcoming games and take himself off to avoid really messing up his leg?  Sure.  

Did he do it without any actual injury? I can’t see it. 

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

... but a hamstring pull/strain isn’t one of those things you can just run off (like a knock to the ankle). In my past experience (playing in the heady heights of the PEI first division) hamstring issues never get better with continued play.   

This is an accurate statement. I literally pull my hamstring or quad every season. 

But someone said he was jumping, celebrating is that true? Because not even adrenaline can mask a tweaked hammy or quad. 

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

This is an accurate statement. I literally pull my hamstring or quad every season. 

But someone said he was jumping, celebrating is that true? Because not even adrenaline can mask a tweaked hammy or quad. 

It’s true. I was first row and saw it.

i am not accusing him of faking anything to be clear. I think he has an injury and couldn’t be at 100% so he took himself out. I just don’t think it’s a serious / long term thing.

I knew people wouldn't like what I said. What I am saying is, if LAFC isn't in the playoffs, he might play through a slight tweak, because he doesn't have anything to go back to. But since LAFC is in the playoffs, he wants to be careful with a muscle problem. I didn't once question his commitment to Canada. It's just a reality that there is more that just one game in the mind of a pro player. 

7 minutes ago, BFBF said:

I knew people wouldn't like what I said. What I am saying is, if LAFC isn't in the playoffs, he might play through a slight tweak, because he doesn't have anything to go back to. But since LAFC is in the playoffs, he wants to be careful with a muscle problem. I didn't once question his commitment to Canada. It's just a reality that there is more that just one game in the mind of a pro player. 

I know from experience that if you feel your hammy 5 minutes into the game, you are not making it through the entire match and if you do you will basically be useless. I would rather roll my ankle and tape it up (which I have done) to make it through a game than attempt to play through a hammy. You are pretty much useless once you feel your hammy.

9 hours ago, BFBF said:

I'm going to guess from your theorising here that you've never played sports. 

Everyone watching could see that MAK's hammy went when he was running at low speed, just before he burst into a sprint. It was very fortunate that he stopped his run early, meaning that a strain didn't turn into a full-blown tear. That's the difference between still being able to walk and jog lightly and being on crutches for a week, or two. It's the difference between a week, or two, out rather than 4-6 weeks out.

As others have already said, there's no way you can play through a hamstring injury.

6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm going to guess from your theorising here that you've never played sports. 

Everyone watching could see that MAK's hammy went when he was running at low speed, just before he burst into a sprint. It was very fortunate that he stopped his run early, meaning that a strain didn't turn into a full-blown tear. That's the difference between still being able to walk and jog lightly and being on crutches for a week, or two. It's the difference between a week, or two, out rather than 4-6 weeks out.

As others have already said, there's no way you can play through a hamstring injury.

I really don’t get why this is such a big issue for people. And yes, I am a soccer fan in Canada posting on the voyager forum not because I played it, but because a read a book about it when I was a Kid. Hahaha

What you said in you comment was exactly what I was getting at. 4-6 weeks, if the season is over, is just recovery time. I have seen stupid athletes play through hamstrings before. Because he has MLS cup to play, he comes off because it means he gets to play. I honestly don’t understand why you are arguing, we are basically saying the same thing.

Literally all I was saying, is that the injury is likely not that bad, and he probably came off because he was making sure he will be healthy for MLS cup.

26 minutes ago, BFBF said:

What you said in you comment was exactly what I was getting at. 4-6 weeks, if the season is over, is just recovery time. I have seen stupid athletes play through hamstrings before. Because he has MLS cup to play, he comes off because it means he gets to play. 

Qualifying for the World Cup is infinitely more important than playing for MLS Cup. That he would come off to be able to play in an MLS playoff game is laughable

31 minutes ago, BFBF said:

I really don’t get why this is such a big issue for people. And yes, I am a soccer fan in Canada posting on the voyager forum not because I played it, but because a read a book about it when I was a Kid. Hahaha

What you said in you comment was exactly what I was getting at. 4-6 weeks, if the season is over, is just recovery time. I have seen stupid athletes play through hamstrings before. Because he has MLS cup to play, he comes off because it means he gets to play. I honestly don’t understand why you are arguing, we are basically saying the same thing.

Literally all I was saying, is that the injury is likely not that bad, and he probably came off because he was making sure he will be healthy for MLS cup.

I think people took a bit of issue with it because it seemed to imply a couple things

- that he wasn't really injured and may have come off early

- that the motivation for that would be an MLS playoff game (versus another upcoming game for Canada)

Re-reading your posts they were more guarded than that, but I think it is the attribution of an MLS-centric motive that people are a bit hung up on.  Whether LAFC has upcoming playoff games or not, I think a smart Kaye saves his hammy for the US game in Orlando.  Because he has maple syrup coursing through his veins. 

5 hours ago, BFBF said:

The blow back that you're receiving is entirely down to the fact that you're suggesting that there was some amount of calculation involved when MAK went down, then left the game. It's a ludicrous accusation simply because it's based on the idea that playing on after a hamstring injury was a possibility. The fact that you still seem to think an upcoming club match was a contributing factor in the decision to make the sub is what makes me question whether you've any actual playing experience. Once his hammy went, MAK had to be subbed, no question. Whether he had upcoming club matches, however important, was irrelevant.

If the same thing happened to, say, Cornelius in a recent Whitecaps' match, suggesting that he'd subbed himself to preserve himself for Canada would be similarly daft because it wilfully overlooks what is and isn't actually possible with a pulled hamstring. Club/country considerations play no part.

8 hours ago, BFBF said:

See, you're still linking his coming out of the game with some future game and the people piling on you are saying that his coming off is completely independent event.  Nothing to do with  MLS cup or 2nd leg in Orlando. I don't think you understand that when you have a tight hammy, your're coming out of the game, period. It's not something you can run off.

Edited by Snowcrash