Jump to content
Dub Narcotic

Mark-Anthony Kaye

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Shway said:

Good list @Blackjack15 but I think as of right now:

- Kamal will miss out for Edgar
- Liam MIllar will miss out for Tabla
- Tesho will miss out for RIcketts

Herdman will want some experience, especially when squad rotation will be the key reason why Edgar and Ricketts make the squad. 

Formerly Jahinho Guerro

Personally I would put Straith ahead of Edgar, German 3rd div much better than English 5th tier, also they have the similar amount of caps, Adam has 43, Edgar has 41. One has been playing two full consistent seasons the other is coming off a injury. Straith is also 3 years younger, at 28yo; you can still get that experience in the back line, more so leadership not so much playing.

Millar has played 9 games, scoring 1 goal off the bench for Kilmarnock in the Scottish premiership since his loan from Liverpool. Limited minutes, yet to make a pro start, although much much better than Tabla who has dissapeared of the match day squad since arriving at Albacete Balompie. They're getting promoted to La Liga, he should have gone to a club in the Spanish segunda where he could have gotten more chances. 

I don't think Tesho is in direct competition with Ricketts, Tosaint is a CF, Tesho has always played as a Left-Right Winger/Midfield. MLS is much higher level than Lithuania and they're both in form and scoring so the level of the league wins that argument 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Shway said:

Good list @Blackjack15 but I think as of right now:

- Kamal will miss out for Edgar
- Liam MIllar will miss out for Tabla
- Tesho will miss out for RIcketts

Herdman will want some experience, especially when squad rotation will be the key reason why Edgar and Ricketts make the squad. 

 

Formerly Jahinho Guerro

No chance tabla gets ahead of Millar. I think tablas gotten on the field since his loan started. While Millar has not started yet, he has had strong impacts off the bench, and from what I’ve read, the kilmarnock supporters think he’s deserving of a start. I also can’t see rickets coming after his move to the Lithuanian league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ricketts is "proven" 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
6
17 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Personally I would put Straith ahead of Edgar, German 3rd div much better than English 5th tier, also they have the similar amount of caps, Adam has 43, Edgar has 41. One has been playing two full consistent seasons the other is coming off a injury. Straith is also 3 years younger, at 28yo; you can still get that experience in the back line, more so leadership not so much playing.

Millar has played 9 games, scoring 1 goal off the bench for Kilmarnock in the Scottish premiership since his loan from Liverpool. Limited minutes, yet to make a pro start, although much much better than Tabla who has dissapeared of the match day squad since arriving at Albacete Balompie. They're getting promoted to La Liga, he should have gone to a club in the Spanish segunda where he could have gotten more chances. 

I don't think Tesho is in direct competition with Ricketts, Tosaint is a CF, Tesho has always played as a Left-Right Winger/Midfield. MLS is much higher level than Lithuania and they're both in form and scoring so the level of the league wins that argument 

 

57 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

No chance tabla gets ahead of Millar. I think tablas gotten on the field since his loan started. While Millar has not started yet, he has had strong impacts off the bench, and from what I’ve read, the kilmarnock supporters think he’s deserving of a start. I also can’t see rickets coming after his move to the Lithuanian league.

While I agree that someone else "should be" called up over Edgar. The reality is that guys like Straith have never been called up under Herdmans reign vs Edgar who has been called up to every game albeit one because he was injured (iirc). In those 4 games he played a total of 31 minutes. It's clear that Herdman calls him up for more than his ability to play. He brings something that is valuable to Herdman and the team. 

Tesho is definitely in direct competition. Although he has played some wing, he'll tell you he's a FW - and that's where he's currently playing/performing. Like Tesho, Tosaint has also played as LW/RW before (even with Canada) but if we're being technical, Tosaint is only a striker. He's someone who plays on the shoulders of the last defenders to chase balls and is also good aerial. He's not a hold up CF. Yes MLS is inferior to the Lithuanian league, there's no conversation there. But Tosaint is different from the crop of strikers/forwards we have (Larin/Cavallini). No none has his pace, and no one else has his proven track record to score against lesser opponents, which will be vital if Herdman is looking to rotate the squad against the likes of Cuba or Monserratt, plus he is in scoring form. Also if we are going solely off just current performances, Jordan Hamilton might stake his claim with his 5 goals in 5 games - but even then I think he's a long shot. 

For me, Millar is one who I think will be a shock surprise omission. From what I've seen, I think Tabla and Millar have similar skillsets, just Tabla is better for me. Yes, he isn't playing much at Albacete on loan from Barcelona for whatever reason (neither is Davies who is sitting on the bench at Bayern) but Millar is just starting to get his first few minutes of first team football, while Tabla has already played pro games and showed out at Montreal. Also, SPL is probably on par with the LaLiga 2 (except for Celtic and Rangers)...so comparing leagues is all relative. I also think Herdman probably gave Tabla some guarantees with his committing to the CMNT.....we shall see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Shway said:

For me, Millar is one who I think will be a shock surprise omission. From what I've seen, I think Tabla and Millar have similar skillsets, just Tabla is better for me. Yes, he isn't playing much at Albacete on loan from Barcelona for whatever reason (neither is Davies who is sitting on the bench at Bayern) but Millar is just starting to get his first few minutes of first team football, while Tabla has already played pro gamesome and showed out at Montreal. Also, SPL is probably on par with the LaLiga 2 (except for Celtic and Rangers)...so comparing leagues is all relative. I also think Herdman probably gave Tabla some guarantees with his committing to the CMNT.....we shall see.

He isn’t even getting on the bench half the time and there’s a bit of a difference in between not playing for Bayern vs a Spanish 2nd division team. Both Millar and Davies have both scored off the bench and have definitely been better in their performance than tabla. If herdman gave tabla a guarantee to be called even if he’s done nothing than that’s ********. If Millar isn’t on the final roster than the csa and Herdman are completely taking the piss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

If Millar isn’t on the final roster than the csa and Herdman are completely taking the piss.

How? He only has played a total 117 minutes in 9 sub appearances, no starts. This is first half season as a professional. He's very talented and has tons of projection to have a very long career with Canada (2022,2026,2030 cycles) at age 19 with 4 caps and developed at one of the biggest clubs in the world there's no denying his quality and what he can bring for the NT, what I'm saying is Akindele is in better form. If it came down to Millar between David, I'd pick Jonathan. Now between Liam and Ricketts, do we go with someone who's international career is just starting or on the ending? That's the question we should be asking, the right balance between Youth, Mid-age and Experience has to be there; but at the same the best should be there regardless of age, form or another reason. Theres always exceptions such as Cyle Larin, awful season in Turkey, but do we include him in our 23? Of course we do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2019 at 12:44 AM, Shway said:

To everyone's dismay I see Davies playing LB. 

Likely. JH is on record staying he'll use Davies at LB if he thinks the opposition is going to bunker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big_M said:

mls inferior to lituanian league..spl on par with laliga 2..ooff getting a lot of things wrong

Sorry I clearly got lost in my words. Let me correct myself "Lithuanian League is inferior to MLS"

However, SPL soccer is horrid. Rarely is there technical qualities displayed in that league. Every time I watch, I feel like a player is liable to break their leg from a two-footed tackle, that the ref sees but allows. The game is played a better way in Spain, and you can see it in LaLiga 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s my 23 for the gold cup

Goalkeepers (3)

gk Borjan

gk Crepeau

gk Thomas 

defenders(8)

Rb Godinho

RB Guillard 

Cb James 

Cb Henry 

Cb Vitoria 

Cb Cornelius 

Lb adekugbe

Lb Kaye 

Midfielders (5)

CDM Hutchison 

Cdm piette 

cm Ossorio

Cm arfield

cm Teibert

Wingers (4)

Lm Davies

Rm Hoillet 

Rm/Lm Millar

Akindele

Strikers (3)

cavallini 

larin 

david 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Here’s my 23 for the gold cup

Goalkeepers (3)

gk Borjan

gk Crepeau

gk Thomas 

defenders(8)

Rb Godinho

RB Guillard 

Cb James 

Cb Henry 

Cb Vitoria 

Cb Cornelius 

Lb adekugbe

Lb Kaye 

Midfielders (5)

CDM Hutchison 

Cdm piette 

cm Ossorio

Cm arfield

cm Teibert

Wingers (4)

Lm Davies

Rm Hoillet 

Rm/Lm Millar

Akindele

Strikers (3)

cavallini 

larin 

david 

 

Well put togethe list, Liked everyone except for Thomas and Vitoria. For me Millar is 50/50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Akindele is having a great start to the season at a middling Orlando City.

Ballou is not seeing the field on loan at a club in La liga promotion mix.

I personally think Ballou will somehow make the GC squad, but talk of Akindele replacing him is now fair in my opinion. 

If you subscribe to the form argument, Akindele is the easy choice. If you lean towards experience over youth, Tesho is your guy. However, one must consider that Ballou edges him in recent national team experience. He's simply been part of the squad more. He's also naturally more talented and more of an x-factor, one would argue.

It's going to be interesting, but my money right now is on Tabla, rightly or wrongly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Akindele is having a great start to the season at a middling Orlando City.

Ballou is not seeing the field on loan at a club in La liga promotion mix.

I personally think Ballou will somehow make the GC squad, but talk of Akindele replacing him is now fair in my opinion. 

If you subscribe to the form argument, Akindele is the easy choice. If you lean towards experience over youth, Tesho is your guy. However, one must consider that Ballou edges him in recent national team experience. He's simply been part of the squad more. He's also naturally more talented and more of an x-factor, one would argue.

It's going to be interesting, but my money right now is on Tabla, rightly or wrongly.

I think for a 23 man roster you want to have 3 options for the position of target forward that Herdman likes to play, with maybe one of them also being able to play one of the wing positions in a 4-3-3. If one of Cavallini or Larin gets injured or suspended ahead of a key game (like a knockout round game) that only leaves one option up top for an entire game. In addition to good recent form, this is where Akindele may have an advantage as I don't see Tabla being a replacement for Larin or Cavallini but Tesho could play there in a pinch and also be used on the wing. While David will clearly make the final roster of 23 I'm not sure that I would list him as one of the three "Forwards" the way Herdman plays as I can't see him playing up top on his own leading the line as a target man. He needs to play on the wing or with the target man ahead of him. So I can see Akindele getting called back in as I'm not sure who the third choice target forward is on the roster that can also play on the wing. Ricketts? AJH? Hamilton? My guess is Akindele would have the jump on all three because of the extra versatility (AJH of course also has the issue of him not playing much or scoring at all this season so he's hardly got "current form" on his side).

Of course if we had some friendlies like every other self-respecting soccer nation we could try these players out in these positions a bit more mind you. No friendlies in 13 months and just four other games against minnows in the interim leaves you with limited knowledge of the strengths of your team and its possible players and formation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:45 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

We are the only national team in the world where the biggest prize for the best player is to be put at Left Back. The fight for the position is ferocious.

I think Herdman must have decided LB is a key part of the field on the basis of feng shui, otherwise it makes no sense.

If Tomori decides to come on board, then Herdman will have one more competitor to choose for the highly coveted LB position.;)

Edited by BearcatSA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, masster said:

Great article on MAK in the Athletic. Seems to bit a lot of bitterness there at being released by TFC. But good for him for using whatever he needs to as motivation to keep improving taking steps forward.
https://theathletic.com/964445/2019/05/06/

Interesting paragraph from the article. Not sure if it was common knowledge that Bradley scouted him from the Gold Cup?

When Kaye arrived in Los Angeles, he was an unheralded left-winger who had been cast off by his hometown club and had started to turn his career around at Louisville City in the USL. But Bob Bradley had seen something when watching Canada play in the Gold Cup, and he felt Kaye could be a real contributor in central midfield.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not that surprising. It's not like he was a regular starter at Louisville prior to the Gold Cup. I thought if he saw something in Kaye, it was porbably more with Canada than with Louisville.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Full credit to OZ for seeing something in him than most coaches wouldn't have, because in paper "USL guy gets called in gold Cup roster" most of us were curious who this player was and I think it helped him with his club form and then signing for LAFC having that International experience 

Edited by Blackjack15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s having a really stellar season that’s for sure.  By my count we have 5 midfielders starting every week in MLS right now which must be an all time high.

If Arfield and Hutch take the 2 starting spots for the GC those 5 players are all competing for 1 spot.  

Probably the fiercest competition for a spot ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on our quality depth in the center of the park and based on previous games, we could see him start at Left Back.  Good & bad.  Good for the fact that last game he was great at left back for Canada before switching into the midfield 2nd half.  Bad is he is proving to be an elite midfielder in the center of the park.

Hutchinson, Arfield, Osorio, Piette, Teibert even depening if you play Davies out wide, Jonathan David might slid in centrally as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...