Jump to content
Dub Narcotic

Mark-Anthony Kaye

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

LAFC are the early shield favorite, of course he is getting shine. That's the way it goes. If the Impact were top of the league destroying teams like DC by 4 goals, you bet fans and pundits alike would have Sam Piette's name on their lips.

Love Piette, but MAK's got greater upside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Obinna said:

LAFC are the early shield favorite, of course he is getting shine. That's the way it goes. If the Impact were top of the league destroying teams like DC by 4 goals, you bet fans and pundits alike would have Sam Piette's name on their lips.

I think MAK currently ranks ahead of Piette. He's the closest thing to a new Hutchinson as we have imo.

That being said from what I've noticed the American MLS analysts don't pay as much attention to the Canadian teams. Especially Montreal and Vancouver. I remember watching the MLS All-Star game and Taylor Twellman basically commented on Piatti like "Wow this guy is so good. Nobody knows about this guy because he plays in Montreal".

So even if Montreal was doing well I'm not sure Piette would be getting the same notice.

Edited by mpg_29

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with you both. Kaye definitely has a higher ceiling. Just pointing out that Kaye's ganaring attention, in part, because LAFC has had a fantastic start. 

If he were putting in those performances in Montreal, and Piette was doing what he does in LA, the narritaves would swap as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Agree with you both. Kaye definitely has a higher ceiling. Just pointing out that Kaye's ganaring attention, in part, because LAFC has had a fantastic start. 

If he were putting in those performances in Montreal, and Piette was doing what he does in LA, the narritaves would swap as well.

Not only does Kaye have the higher ceiling, I think he's above Piette right now.  Don't get me wrong, I love Piette and if my life depended on someone winning a 50-50 ball, I'd choose him over Kaye but in every other aspect, Kaye is a better player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Not only does Kaye have the higher ceiling, I think he's above Piette right now.  Don't get me wrong, I love Piette and if my life depended on someone winning a 50-50 ball, I'd choose him over Kaye but in every other aspect, Kaye is a better player.

Hard not to argue that. One thing Piette does have on Kaye right now though is experience and leadership. I agree that Kaye is the better overall footballer, but in terms of value to the team, Piette may still be ahead of him, for the time being. Very good game against DC just now, wearing the captain's armband.

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Hard not to argue that. One thing Piette does have on Kaye right now though is experience and leadership. I agree that Kaye is the better overall footballer, but in terms of value to the team, Piette may still be ahead of him, for the time being. Very good game against DC just now, wearing the captain's armband.

As a long time suffering V this is such a good problem to have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is hard to say who has the most potential. Kaye has more offensive skills but I think many here are underestimating just how effective a destroyer Piette is and how important that is and will be to a Canadian national team that like the Impact has a shaky defence. Also it should be noted that they are virtually the same age, Piette is only 3 weeks older than Kaye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Piette is a pure #6, you sit him in front of your backline. Kaye plays higher up the pitch. Different roles and qualities. I dont see the point in comparing both, really.

You definitely need players like Piette breathing down forwards necks. And the kid knows how to use his body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

I think MAK currently ranks ahead of Piette. He's the closest thing to a new Hutchinson as we have imo.

Reminds me more of Patrice Bernier. The ? is one of a kind. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Not only does Kaye have the higher ceiling, I think he's above Piette right now.  Don't get me wrong, I love Piette and if my life depended on someone winning a 50-50 ball, I'd choose him over Kaye but in every other aspect, Kaye is a better player.

Piette is the the better Defensive midfielder, Kaye is the better Offensive midfielder, it's a win-win situation for Herdman and Canada ?? Luckily it's not like we have to pick between one or other. I value them equally, as each have various qualities/attributes to offer. I see both of them in our NT going forward and inside the 23-man roster! No need to compare them or disregard one ahead of the other, in fact this is a good problem to have. Maybe Kaye takes Teibert's spot but that is still TBD, all depends if the coaching staff selects Five CM/CDM instead of Six (Atiba, airfield, osorio being the others in play) 

Let's just be happy with what we have and embrace the talent as well as understanding that each player has a role to play for the team. case closed :) Allez Les Rougez 

Edited by Blackjack15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, shamrock said:

MAK should play the Atiba role, so he's a bit unlucky there. 

He will play it. GC requires squad rotation, so i expect to see him in that role at some point.

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shamrock said:

MAK should play the Atiba role, so he's a bit unlucky there. 

What role would that be? Atiba has played a number of roles for the CMNT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

 

Also can't forget Eustaquio who's not in the Gold  Cup mix with his knee injury but that's another quality midfielder.

And Will Johnson, Chapman, Wotherspoon. Lots of depth in the center. selection is gonna be tough; Once Atiba retires, Eustaquio claims his spot in the 23 man roster with Piette given the advantage at the CDM Position. 

Edited by Blackjack15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eustaquio comes with a more pedigree than Kaye, as he came up through the Portuguese leagues as opposed to USL, as well as a big transfer, but I'm not so sure he's better. He very well could be, but I have to see him play.

Kaye has impressed me every time he's played. I remember when OZ included him in the Men's team early and people (including me) were like who the hell is this guy? But OZ was definitely on to something as Kaye has just kept progressing, and is now an everyday starter on a good MLS side.

I think the Atiba comparisons are valid. His football IQ seems very high, and he keeps on progressing. He's versitile like Atiba as well. Will be interesting to see if he tries Europe out in the future. He should just fulfill his Atiba legacy and go to FCK or PSV :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Eustaquio comes with a more pedigree than Kaye, as he came up through the Portuguese leagues as opposed to USL, as well as a big transfer, but I'm not so sure he's better. He very well could be, but I have to see him play.

Kaye has impressed me every time he's played. I remember when OZ included him in the Men's team early and people (including me) were like who the hell is this guy? But OZ was definitely on to something as Kaye has just kept progressing, and is now an everyday starter on a good MLS side.

I think the Atiba comparisons are valid. His football IQ seems very high, and he keeps on progressing. He's versitile like Atiba as well. Will be interesting to see if he tries Europe out in the future. He should just fulfill his Atiba legacy and go to FCK or PSV :lol:

Good on OZ to take the chance and since then,  the young man has gone onwards and upwards from there.

Personally, much sooner than later, both Kaye and Piette should become the regular engine room of our midfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Good on OZ to take the chance and since then,  the young man has gone onwards and upwards from there.

Personally, much sooner than later, both Kaye and Piette should become the regular engine room of our midfield.

I totally agree though Hermand is not going to replace Hutchinson. I guess after the Gold Cup Atiba will retire for the MNT and MAK can take over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

He’s become probably the 3rd best player on the best team in MLS which is saying something.

When Hutch retires I think he’s going to be pushing Osorio for the 2nd advanced CM spot alongside Arfield and that’s impressive.

I still can’t believe the quality depth we have as these guys develop.

Edited by baulderdash77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...