Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

Jakovic playing in the back against a top Mexican team and shutting them out in such a crucial game is probably the second biggest story this week in soccer for a Canadian player behind only Alphonso Davies performance versus Chelsea in the European Champions League. With out a doubt after that performance get Jankovic back in there starting for Canada’s starting lineup!

18 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Jakovic playing in the back against a top Mexican team and shutting them out in such a crucial game is probably the second biggest story this week in soccer for a Canadian player behind only Alphonso Davies performance versus Chelsea in the European Champions League. With out a doubt after that performance get Jankovic back in there starting for Canada’s starting lineup!

Nope. David's goal against a Serie A team and 27 scouts watching him is the #2 story by a wide stretch. And media coverage & social media buzz says it was Davies & David. 

Jakovic's issue (and with most players on the cusp of the national team) is being good consistently and thereby being a consistent starter. 

Edited by red card

50 minutes ago, red card said:

Nope. David's goal against a Serie A team and 27 scouts watching him is the #2 story by a wide stretch. And media coverage & social media buzz says it was Davies & David. 

Jakovic's issue (and with most players on the cusp of the national team) is being good consistently and thereby being a consistent starter. 

Arfield got a ton of praise for his performance this week too.  BBC had him as the MotM.

20 hours ago, saladroit said:

i disagree, i think MAK was pretty great last night. still looked rusty in the defensive/pressing phases but his passing and running into space looked like classic MAK

as an aside, my god LAFC are fun to watch. i mean i'd be watching them anyways for canadian content but they dominated that match last night from start to end. atuesta in particular is outstanding and should be in a top 5 league soon 

Very lucky not to get sent off twice for bad challenges. 

1 hour ago, Yohan said:

Very lucky not to get sent off twice for bad challenges. 

Especially with that referee who is not shy in showing yellows, looked like he was considering issuing another one to Kaye, but realized he was already on a yellow and kept it in his pocket.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

• 2 weeks later...

Had a really terrible performance against Philly last night. His start to the year has been atrocious - just looks so slow and lacking any sort of quality. It's weird. Most LAFC supporters seem to be calling for him to be taken out of starting 11.

I'm assuming Bradley will give him a bit more leeway than that but here's hoping he can turn things around in a hurry. 

6 hours ago, Floortom said:

Had a really terrible performance against Philly last night. His start to the year has been atrocious - just looks so slow and lacking any sort of quality. It's weird. Most LAFC supporters seem to be calling for him to be taken out of starting 11.

I'm assuming Bradley will give him a bit more leeway than that but here's hoping he can turn things around in a hurry. 

Didn't watch last night, but should be said that he had no preseason matches. Was injured the whole time and then kinda thrown into the starting lineup. He could still be trying to find his fitness and form through all of this.

42 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Didn't watch last night, but should be said that he had no preseason matches. Was injured the whole time and then kinda thrown into the starting lineup. He could still be trying to find his fitness and form through all of this.

Do you know what type of injury he sustained during pre-season? Only watched the first 25 mins but he did not look anything like last year. Not moving well, no quick incisive passing, not strong on the ball. Looked really lost on the field. I do hope he can turn it around quickly. Perhaps he needs a bit more practice time to get his mojo back before his next start.

Not really sure how fit MAK is. He was the first one subbed out last night and I agree with the rest of you that he's lumbering around out there compared to last year. That is leading to the poor play I think. He didn't just become bad and not having the same reaction time is leading to some of his mistakes.

The problem is that even with him seemingly playing 20-30% less output, he is still good enough to start. He is not playing well, yet he is better than the next best option.

Maybe we omit him for the T&T series and allow him to recover from whatever he is going through, fitness or otherwise. We talk about our depth so perhaps we take advantage of it. I don't want Kaye slipping further because of international duty, even though the games are vital.

Hard though with Arfield and Eustaquio arguably in worse shape at the moment. Piette played better over the weekend and Teibert did well from what I saw against Galaxy. Osorio is fit and reliable. Hutchinson may be required to shore things up if we are missing Kaye, Arfield and Eustaquio....

Edited by Obinna

He started poorly against Philly, but he improved as the match wore on. He does not seem nearly as fit as he was last year, that's for sure. But it was his passing that was letting him down, and some cheap giveaways. He's usually strong in possession and very neat in his passing. Like I said, the passing got much better as the game progressed.  Kaye is the sort of guy that will raise his levels, for sure. He just needs to do so before he gets taken out of the 11!

• 2 months later...

https://www.lafc.com/post/2020/06/05/message-america-mark-anthony-kaye

A message to America.

My name is Mark-Anthony Kaye and I am a proud black man.

I am deeply angered and saddened by the tragic events of the last few months, events that are infuriatingly all too familiar. My condolences go out to the family and loved ones of the victims who were killed at the hands of murderers who carry a badge as a symbol of protection.

I will not stand for injustice. Too many black people are dying by the hands of those who are supposed to serve our society. I want to live in a world where I do not have to fear for my life when I go outside, a world where I don’t have to pray that I can simply return home safe and sound.

To live in that world, we first must ask some tough questions, because too many black people are dying by the hands of those who are supposed to serve our society.

How are people supposed to feel safe in this country, when the ones who take an oath to protect and serve our community abuse their power and do not face consequences?

What kind of message do we send when we allow those in positions of authority to patrol in an indiscriminately racist manner? Why should I feel more scared about my life than my white teammates? I entered the world the same way as they did.

Why is this still an ongoing issue in this country and the world?

Why can’t we just coexist with each other?

This is supposed to be the land of the free and home of the brave. But there are many who are not free, and way too many who are not brave when it comes to taking a stand on social injustice.

Too many people don’t care. Too many people simply stand by and watch. Too many act like they want change, but they won’t actually speak up for change. Too many think this all will pass -- but it will not. 

It shows the lack of unity and the lack of progress in this country -- and enough is enough.

We need real change. We need to accept that the country is not where we believe it is, acknowledge that in this moment some of us are moving backwards and not forwards, and only then will we be able to truly move forward.

I am utterly disgusted with the lack of leadership and accountability from these so-called peace officers. There is a target on our backs as black people and although you may not understand it, we feel it every day. A wrong look from a cop, an unlawful arrest, a random stop or seizure. We experience this on a consistent basis. We don’t have that privilege to live our lives in peace.

How is this okay?

This fundamental issue is NOT just a problem for the black community. This is an “US” problem – a human problem.

We are not asking for a lot. We are asking for equality. Equality which serves all.

Stand with us, speak up and use your voice.

Be part of the change or stay part of the problem.

It is that simple.

7 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

https://www.lafc.com/post/2020/06/05/message-america-mark-anthony-kaye

A message to America.

My name is Mark-Anthony Kaye and I am a proud black man.

I am deeply angered and saddened by the tragic events of the last few months, events that are infuriatingly all too familiar. My condolences go out to the family and loved ones of the victims who were killed at the hands of murderers who carry a badge as a symbol of protection.

I will not stand for injustice. Too many black people are dying by the hands of those who are supposed to serve our society. I want to live in a world where I do not have to fear for my life when I go outside, a world where I don’t have to pray that I can simply return home safe and sound.

To live in that world, we first must ask some tough questions, because too many black people are dying by the hands of those who are supposed to serve our society.

How are people supposed to feel safe in this country, when the ones who take an oath to protect and serve our community abuse their power and do not face consequences?

What kind of message do we send when we allow those in positions of authority to patrol in an indiscriminately racist manner? Why should I feel more scared about my life than my white teammates? I entered the world the same way as they did.

Why is this still an ongoing issue in this country and the world?

Why can’t we just coexist with each other?

This is supposed to be the land of the free and home of the brave. But there are many who are not free, and way too many who are not brave when it comes to taking a stand on social injustice.

Too many people don’t care. Too many people simply stand by and watch. Too many act like they want change, but they won’t actually speak up for change. Too many think this all will pass -- but it will not. 

It shows the lack of unity and the lack of progress in this country -- and enough is enough.

We need real change. We need to accept that the country is not where we believe it is, acknowledge that in this moment some of us are moving backwards and not forwards, and only then will we be able to truly move forward.

I am utterly disgusted with the lack of leadership and accountability from these so-called peace officers. There is a target on our backs as black people and although you may not understand it, we feel it every day. A wrong look from a cop, an unlawful arrest, a random stop or seizure. We experience this on a consistent basis. We don’t have that privilege to live our lives in peace.

How is this okay?

This fundamental issue is NOT just a problem for the black community. This is an “US” problem – a human problem.

We are not asking for a lot. We are asking for equality. Equality which serves all.

Stand with us, speak up and use your voice.

Be part of the change or stay part of the problem.

It is that simple.

I sympathize and being a black man myself...damn it this brings a damn tear to my eye. The fact is, is that our people continue to suffer day in, day out. We are either being killed out there by whites or by police officers or we are infringed upon by them simply for being black. No more. We refuse to hide. We refuse to be ignored and we will not be ignored any longer.

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Puts Kaepernick's protest in perspective

I know right and more so seeing the football world️ come together to show their support for the cause of what we as blacks are going through is bringing more awareness to the problem. I appreciate the solidarity.

MAK has also used the hashtag #defundthepolice on Instagram. How do you expect to reform the police by defunding them? If anything they should be mandated to use their funding to reform and eradicate brutality once and for all. 

I know a lot of people are emotional right now, but we shouldn't throw logic out of the window. 

I have also seen him pressure his followers to speak up, saying he is taking note of which friends are keeping silent. This is just straight up using your status to bully people into action. There is something unsavory about this.

If you have to pressure people to join your cause something else is going on...

Edited by Obinna

Last word on this. I want to celebrate and applaud the maturity of Alphonso Davies. This young man gets it.

His most recent post: Together we rise, apart we fall #blacklivesmatter

Kaye's most recent post: We stand in unity! Be part of the change or stay part of the problem #blacklivesmatter #defundthepolice

Edited by Obinna

46 minutes ago, Obinna said:

MAK has also used the hashtag #defundthepolice on Instagram. How do you expect to reform the police by defunding them? If anything they should be mandated to use their funding to reform and eradicate brutality once and for all. 

I know a lot of people are emotional right now, but we shouldn't throw logic out of the window. 

I have also seen him pressure his followers to speak up, saying he is taking note of which friends are keeping silent. This is just straight up using your status to bully people into action. There is something unsavory about this.

The US has the political problem that military and police funding is sacrosanct. Throw in the oversized clout of the police unions and you have a perfect recipe for overly armed, unaccountable police forces running amok with no consequences. Severely cutting police budgets at a time when every other budget line is being squeezed makes perfect sense. You can re-direct some of the funding into more effective programs like social work, mental health, and employment while police can focus on their core responsibilities without the need for re-purposed tanks and over-the-top body armour.

Not many other countries have comparable problems as the US, so calls for de-funding the police in Canada, for example, can largely be dismissed as reactionary nonsense.

53 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

The US has the political problem that military and police funding is sacrosanct. Throw in the oversized clout of the police unions and you have a perfect recipe for overly armed, unaccountable police forces running amok with no consequences. Severely cutting police budgets at a time when every other budget line is being squeezed makes perfect sense. You can re-direct some of the funding into more effective programs like social work, mental health, and employment while police can focus on their core responsibilities without the need for re-purposed tanks and over-the-top body armour.

Not many other countries have comparable problems as the US, so calls for de-funding the police in Canada, for example, can largely be dismissed as reactionary nonsense.

But that don't mean that racism doesn't still exist in Canada because it does and that is just reality. Canada really is no better because the fact is, police incidents still do happen but not to the extent of Floyd. Racial profiling by police or police even attacking or killing people of minorities is still happening and for anyone to say otherwise is ignorant. However, I will agree with you defunding the police and or military if anything will make things worse for society especially in Canada. But that doesn't mean our people by that I mean black people aren't still treated unjustly and unfairly by police.

Kaye gets it but then again a lot of black football players get the message. I mean you don't necessarily have to be black to not get what we as people go through but you do see what we go through.

Edited by TGAA_Star
X

38 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Thanks for your well measured response. I am not sure I am convinced by all of that, but at least I can better appreciate the perspective. Re-purposed tanks and over-the-top body armour is completely uncessary, so I do agree with that. You could make the argument it emboldens police to brutalize the public. However, I am left scratching my head wondering how re-directing funding to those specific programs helps, unless you are talking about less money for police tanks, more money for police education. The fact we even have to talk about police tanks and police murder is beyond ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Thanks for your well measured response. I am not sure I am convinced by all of that, but at least I can better appreciate the perspective. Re-purposed tanks and over-the-top body armour is completely uncessary, so I do agree with that. You could make the argument it emboldens police to brutalize the public. However, I am left scratching my head wondering how re-directing funding to those specific programs helps, unless you are talking about less money for police tanks, more money for police education. The fact we even have to talk about police tanks and police murder is beyond ridiculous. 

Yes more money should go into police training but also more into police education especially police psychology because the last thing we need is another George Floyd situation but here in Canada.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

You can't cherry pick which protests and protest styles, and rhetorics, are the ideal ones, and then say only those are valid or right.

That is divisive in itself, because it creates this mentality of making lists of right ways and wrong ways of being against racist violence from security forces. Nor can you just take the question of funding police so lightly: even community security minded public administrations have decreased relative costs in policing by implementing other programmes in education or equal opportunities, in job creation or reducing housing discrimination, or being more efficient (police, like military forces, tend to insist on useless toys they see other forces using, it is obsessive at times: right now the local police in Barcelona are crying for tasers, a silly insistence which we'll work hard to not allow; recently the regional police had their rubber bullets taken away from them, as they'd blinded a few individuals stupidly). 

I went to a demonstration today called by the communities of African origins in Spain. I go without judging what might happen, how someone wants to manifest their ire or rage, the level of articulation. It is not my job to control the discourse, that is part of the problem, people think they can be paternalist custodians of other people's rage. If someone is enraged and want to express that at the cops, it is their choice. I used to not participate in certain demonstrations and activist causes because I was not 100% in agreement, and now I take it as a pluralist experience where everyone gets to have their own message. We are not in a world where there are these single messages and people march around as if indoctrinated in into a homogenous cause. 

The demonstration in Barcelona turned out to be rather soft in its message and insisted on a non-violent approach, but that was their prerogative.  Not every human is in the same place, in terms of knowledge, awareness or experience, and not all interpret personal or collective activism in the same way. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You can't cherry pick which protests and protest styles, and rhetorics, are the ideal ones, and then say only those are valid or right.

That is divisive in itself, because it creates this mentality of making lists of right ways and wrong ways of being against racist violence from security forces. Nor can you just take the question of funding police so lightly: even community security minded public administrations have decreased relative costs in policing by implementing other programmes in education or equal opportunities, in job creation or reducing housing discrimination, or being more efficient (police, like military forces, tend to insist on useless toys they see other forces using, it is obsessive at times: right now the local police in Barcelona are crying for tasers, a silly insistence which we'll work hard to not allow; recently the regional police had their rubber bullets taken away from them, as they'd blinded a few individuals stupidly). 

I went to a demonstration today called by the communities of African origins in Spain. I go without judging what might happen, how someone wants to manifest their ire or rage, the level of articulation. It is not my job to control the discourse, that is part of the problem, people think they can be paternalist custodians of other people's rage. If someone is enraged and want to express that at the cops, it is their choice. I used to not participate in certain demonstrations and activist causes because I was not 100% in agreement, and now I take it as a pluralist experience where everyone gets to have their own message. We are not in a world where there are these single messages and people march around as if indoctrinated in into a homogenous cause. 

The demonstration in Barcelona turned out to be rather soft in its message and insisted on a non-violent approach, but that was their prerogative.  Not every human is in the same place, in terms of knowledge, awareness or experience, and not all interpret personal or collective activism in the same way. 

FACTS💯