Players Retain Legal Counsel in Fight Against Artificial Turf at 2015 Women’s World Cup

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FORCE FIFA, CSA, & SPONSORS TO PUT WOMEN'S WORLD CUP ON GRASS #NoGrassNoCash

This is perhaps the most clear cut case of blatant Gender Discrimination in years. The Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) wouldn't even allow a CONCACAF qualifying game for the Canadian Men's National Team (ranked 120th) be played on Turf! Yet the CSA and FIFA think it's a-ok for the Women's World Cup (the crowning event in the sport that happens only once every 4 years) to be played on Turf!

You know that this would not even be considered for a second for the Men's World Cup to be play on Turf! Indeed, the CSA's bid to host the 2026 Men's World Cup only has plans for it to be played on Grass!

For those of you who don't agree, get your heads out of your sexist sand, and give them a good shake! We are not some 3rd world country that needs a special dispensation to play a one-off qualifying game on turf. This is Canada. This is the World Cup! This would be the 1st ever World Cup since 1930 (Men's or Women's) to ever be played on Plastic Turf! Women's Soccer has grown leaps & bounds over the past 20 years. Why would you want your/our country (Canada) to be responsible for setting the beautiful game back years with this sexist action of forcing these awesome players (the best in the world) to play on Plastic Turf. After the London Olympics (2012) Canada fell in love with the Canadian Women's National Team. As these Canadian players are pretty much being silenced by Orwellian tactics, it is up to us fans to stand up and speak out for them!

As the CSA & FIFA are again showing themselves unable to take their heads out of the sand, it is up to REAL FOOTBALL FANS to put pressure where it matters most to FIFA and the CSA - $. We must save the CSA and FIFA from themselves, as their plastic turf actions are ruining the beautiful game they are supposed to be responsible for protecting and nurturing. We must put pressure on their potential Sponsors of this event (#WWC2015): like Coke, Bell, BMO, Labatt, Budweiser, Canadian Tire, Adidas, Nike, Puma etc... Do these sponsors really want to be associated with a Sexist World Cup? No matter how much lipstick FIFA & the CSA try to put on this Plastic Turf Sexist World Cup it will always be a PIG. A sexist pig. Indeed this a chance for existing and potential 2015 Women's World Cup Sponsors (like Coke, Bell, BMO, Labatt, Budweiser, Canadian Tire, Adidas, Nike, Puma etc...whoever) to stop sexism in its tracks! Sponsors can put pressure on FIFA & the CSA by simply saying: "NO GRASS, NO CASH"! (#NoGrassNoCash)

There is still plenty of time to affordably install temporary grass at all 6 venues for the 2015 Women's World Cup in Canada, and reap the positive image and additional revenues that will come from it! Do the right thing real soccer fans, sponsors, FIFA, and the CSA. by @FootySidney

Here's the Open & Shut Gender Discrimination Case:

http://assets.espn.go.com/pdf/2014/0926/csafifa_final-notice.pdf

Here's the Precedent for Putting Grass Over Turf (Done 20 years ago!):

http://assets.espn.go.com/pdf/2014/0926/csafifa_final-notice.pdf

Here's Proof of the CSA's Blatant Sexism:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/aftn-2/canadian-mens-national-team-games-unlikely-for-vancouver-r2252

Follow Me on Twitter via @FootySidney

^That might be the steamiest pile of shit to ever land on this board. Congratulations!

Mate, it's not too complex. It's just a bullshit argument that has no business being represented as a human rights issue. Considering the real problems that women face in many societies, I find it offensive that this shit is wasting time and resources that could be dedicated to something that is actually productive. If they don't want to play on synthetic pitches, they have every right to stay the fuck home.

I think your argument is bullshit. Look at the facts

Well at least you've vindicated my suspicion that it wouldn't be worth wading into this topic, but now that I've taken the plunge ...

If you're going to talk about 'truth' then when you're asked a question about your position (and I say 'your position' because you've included the outline of the lawsuit where the 2nd reason for litigation is due to excess injuries) actually address the question with facts and not insults. The link below is to a blog which cites four studies all of which state that there is no greater risk of injury on artificial as opposed to grass. I'm not aware of studies that say the risks are greater on artificial surfaces, but if you are, then provide them. If you are really interested in truth then you must have these as otherwise you are not really interested in truth but simply interested in having your own opinion validated.

And while you're at it explain how it doesn't count that U20 men played on artificial surfaces during the U20 World Cup in 2007 in Canada. Do they not count as real men?

These are legitimate questions asked honestly. If you can't respond honestly and without insult then, as I said earlier, it seems you're not actually interested in truth, as the truth might not match your position.

http://www.maple-leaf-forever.com/2013/03/26/will-no-one-rid-us-of-these-turbulent-grass-cultists/

The claim against FIFA has some merit as no senior mens WC would ever be played on grass.

The claim against the CSA has no merit as various games across all age groups and genders have been played on turf in Canada.

Even if it could be proven that turf leads to more injuries than grass, I don't believe the Ontario Human Rights Commission (the body where the Application is to be filed according to the draft) has jurisdiction to address a national issue, much less an international issue, such as this.     

If turf is as good as grass then why turf companies had to upgrade the turf so many times now.  I understand they use coconut fibers now as the latest improvement.  What's next? Maybe grass?  A World Cup where key countries decide not to participate if played in turf will be a big disappointment.  Is that what the CSA and FIFA are facing?

They were taking about this on the bbc last week. One of the pundits was theorising that by using artificial turf for the women's World Cup it would set a precedence for using it at future men's world cups and we would see it in Russia and Qatar. Not sure if I agree, but it was definitely an interesting take on things.

There is also a huge groundswell of support building up in the uk for artificial turf in the lower leagues. All non league clubs are allowed to use it next year and there has been talk of it being sanctioned for league 1 and 2.

That's very interesting, tell me more.

Each winter in England a lot of non league matches get called off due to the state if their pitches and from poor wether. Artificial turf would help with the cancellation of matches but the main factor seems to be revenue based. Clubs with artificial turf can hire out their pitches 7 days a week / 24 hours a day when it is not in use without having to worry about damage to the turf or how it will look come 3pm in a Saturday.

Yes there is discrimination against the women but it is not the turf but the officiating. The selection of officials should not be based on gender. The women deserve the best.

I am glad to read that incompetent referee Cristina Pedersen was not selected to referee in Canada 2015.  Anyone remembers the referee name that screwed us in China when she ejected our keeper in the first minute of the game.

I understand where the players are coming from in a desire to play on grass. I even agree that the WWC should not be on turf. But, they're embarrassing themselves by taking the inequality argument. To actually claim that the mens and womens World Cups are in the same ball-park is ridiculous. A quick check of viewership and general awareness data should reflect that.

Are they really accusing the CSA of discrimination with a straight face? A governing body which spends as much, if not more, of its time promoting our womens team (relative to the MNT)? Even jumping the gun and accusing FIFA is baseless and dumb.

The proper way to go about this would have been to a) raise it much sooner than a year before and b ) go with the angle that plastic pitches make the entire tournament look amateur, leading to decreased viewership and revenues. As a supporter, I'll be taking it less seriously because it's on plastic.

It's not discrimination at all, but economics. To present this as sexism is a 'grasping at straws' argument, which, I suspect, is designed to attract attention and start a shitshow. The WWC should be on grass because it's the showcase event in women's football. That's it. Drawing comparisons to the men's WC, with a pretense of sexism, is inaccurate and frankly dumb.

Chuckle. You never know. Every now and then someone surprises you. It's my continuing naïveté that I ask a question and expect a real answer.

I've been hearing rumblings about jurisdictional issues, so it will also be interesting to see how that turns out. Provincial-Federal-FIFA ... Who knows which body has the legal standing to rule over the other ... Muddy waters indeed (since you mentioned Winnipeg).

How soon before some of the real Canadian pundits and players are pressured to weigh in on this issue.  I love a good fight with FIFA and I go back to the following points from a fan's perspective (which FIFA doesn't really give a shit about, unless it makes them more money)

The under-20 WWC in Olympic Stadium instead of Saputo Stadium - I've always felt that this was the greatest injustice ever - with fewer than 10,000 schmuks sitting in a dome with field turf on an evening with 25 degree temperatures on a stunning night in late July while the stadium next door sat empty. 

if I were a woman, I'd focus on this fact. 

I am glad to read that incompetent referee Cristina Pedersen was not selected to referee in Canada 2015.  Anyone remembers the referee name that screwed us in China when she ejected our keeper in the first minute of the game.

When asked about officials USWNT PLAYER Christie Rampone responded.

http://www.womenssoccerunited.com/christie-rampone-interview/

SJ: Do you feel that using only women officials during competition such as the recent CONCACAF World Cup qualifications discriminates against the players or do you believe the best available officials should be used regardless of their gender?

CR: Yes…The best available officials would be great. The girls at this level and all the people around them work so hard all year round. Inexperienced referees making poor calls should not be allowed to influence or affect a game.

I am sure there are many players would agree with her. 

It seems grossly wrong that the women will be playing on turf.

On the other hand, this decision was made over 3 years ago, and it's far too late to be whining about it now.

Interesting to see the proposed remedies - http://womens.soccerly.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/141001_2_Application-Sec-24-Schedule-A.pdf include moving games to Saputo and BMO Field.

I'd be very surprised if the Human Rights Tribunal actually hears this.  I'd think there are some big jurisdictional issues.

FIFA usually gets sued at the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg, which is the court dealing with European Union issues.  Obviously that has no application here.   

The Ontario Human Rights Tribunal would have jurisdiction over FIFA if it finds that FIFA is discriminating against women in Ontario.  However, the Tribunal could only make an order with respect to the matches taking place in Ontario.  They would have no jurisdiction over the matches in other provinces.  In the draft application, they have the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal ordering the installation of permanent grass in BC place!  I nearly spilled my plate of waffles when I read that.  You don't have to be a lawyer to see the draft application has more jurisdictional holes than swiss cheese.

Another sticky issue is remedy.  What result do they really expect to get at the end of the day?  The WWC to get shut down?  Ordering FIFA to pay for temporary grass?  This is all pie in the sky stuff as usually the Tribunal simply makes an after the fact order for damages (financial compensation).

This is all just so obviously created to simply make noise in the media.  There is no real legal issue.        

How soon before some of the real Canadian pundits and players are pressured to weigh in on this issue.  I love a good fight with FIFA and I go back to the following points from a fan's perspective (which FIFA doesn't really give a shit about, unless it makes them more money)

The under-20 WWC in Olympic Stadium instead of Saputo Stadium - I've always felt that this was the greatest injustice ever - with fewer than 10,000 schmuks sitting in a dome with field turf on an evening with 25 degree temperatures on a stunning night in late July while the stadium next door sat empty. 

if I were a woman, I'd focus on this fact. 

FIFA mandates that all fields used in a tournament be the same viz. turf or grass.  If some must be turf, then all must be turf.  Saputo Stadium could only be used if all other stadiums had grass, as well.

Archived