Players Retain Legal Counsel in Fight Against Artificial Turf at 2015 Women’s World Cup

I always thought it was a bit weird that no one else bid for the tournament.  Did we screw up someone's plans to get the tournament handed to them because "no one else wanted it"?  I also found it a bit odd to see how often the US system has stabbed at us over this tournament.  Always finding fault, with never a good thing to say.  Like they have a grudge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Germany made 10 million USD. We charged more and would have made more. The draw was ridiculed by people for favouritism but making money is necessary to get the serious interest in hosting they (and womem) need. FIFA may have their issues, but this ain't their first rodeo.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A little off topic but it bugs me when I see a small element of soccer fans using the issues of another sport to denigrate it and attempt to have soccer step into the void hoping the other sport fails.  Saying that football is dying because of concussions is one such issue. 

So I will do the exact same thing, and look at soccer to clean it's own house before belittling others.

I should say the thought for this came from seeing Steven Vitoria take a ball to the head that I thought could have had severe consequences.

Concussion: By the Numbers

CDC estimates reveal that 1.6 million to 3.8 million concussions occur each year
    5-10% of athletes will experience a concussion in any given sport season
    Fewer than 10% of sport related concussions involve a Loss of Consciousness (e.g., blacking out, seeing stars, etc.)
    Football is the most common sport with concussion risk for males (75% chance for concussion)
    Soccer is the most common sport with concussion risk for females (50% chance for concussion)
    78% of concussions occur during games (as opposed to practices)
    Some studies suggest that females are twice as likely to sustain a concussion as males
    Headache (85%) and Dizziness (70-80%) are most commonly reported symptoms immediately following concussions for injured athletes
    Estimated 47% of athletes do not report feeling any symptoms after a concussive blow
    A professional football player will receive an estimated 900 to 1500 blows to the head during a season
    Impact speed of a professional boxers punch: 20mph
    Impact speed of a football player tackling a stationary player: 25mph
    Impact speed of a soccer ball being headed by a player: 70mph

3 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Impact speed of a professional boxers punch: 20mph
    Impact speed of a football player tackling a stationary player: 25mph
    Impact speed of a soccer ball being headed by a player: 70mph

I get the point of your post and I somewhat agree, but there's a huge difference in momentum and kinetic energy though:

Impact momentum (kinetic energy) of a boxer's punch (estimate): 45 kg m/s (405 J)

Impact momentum (kinetic energy) of a football tackle: 900 kg m/s (9000 J)

Impact momentum (kinetic energy) of a soccer ball: 15 kg m/s (450 J)

Also, a defender (who receives the highest impact headers) maybe heads the ball 10 - 20 times a match whereas a boxer gets punched 150 - 300 times a match and a football player can get tackled/blocked 50 times a game.

4 minutes ago, Saviola7 said:

I get the point of your post and I somewhat agree, but there's a huge difference in momentum and kinetic energy though:

Also, a defender (who receives the highest impact headers) maybe heads the ball 10 - 20 times a match whereas a boxer gets punched 150 - 300 times a match and a football player can get tackled/blocked 50 times a game.

Oh, I agree that the stats tend to minimize the damages that might be caused by the concussive effect of a punch to the head but further to your second point of course it is obvious about the effects of multiple impacts, but it really only takes one.  And when I saw Vitoria get nailed with that ball, I feared for his life, not just a concussion (not meaning to minimize a concussion)

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Recent comment on 3G pitches from Hereford FC:

...The latest synthetic turf plays like grass… and consistently true grass. No need for special boots, knee pads, and the like. 
3G is legal for use in the Conference, the FA Cup plus European, and World Cup competitions. The Football League continue to resist for now, but their position is untenable. There are 3G surfaces in the National League so the question will not go away. Imagine their argument: “Yes, of course we accept that Real Madrid and England do play occasionally on 3G, but it’s clearly not suitable for Hartlepool.” 

http://bullsnews.blogspot.ca/2016/09/plastic-still-fantastic.html?m=1

Are there 3G surfaces in Canada? Just curious as I have yet to play a game on an artificial surface that plays like grass. Maybe new Mosaic has 3G but I can't recall. 

11 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Well I don't pretend to be any kind of expert on artificial turf but I thought that Winnipeg was 3G and that all the main turf surfaces in Canada were 3G.

My point in posting was merely to show how widely accepted artificial turf is now. Even in Britain, where real grass is easy to grow, artificial turf is often the preferred option.

Found this article, which may be of interest:

• 2G – the classic sand-based very short carpet-style pitch. Popular in the 1990s, You wouldn’t really call this artificial ‘grass’ at all, as it was more like the very rough carpet of somebody who lived by the beach and never hoovered. Great for field hockey, but not the best for football as there was not much in the way of grip, and if you were unlucky enough to fall on these surfaces, you’d usually end up with grazes all over your knees.
  • 3G – has a longer pile (the technical way of saying ‘longer strands’), so it looks like blades of grass. These surfaces have sand and rubber-crumb (more on this below) spread all over it to improve the surface (they call this the ‘infill’). It’s also typically fitted with an underlying drainage system and some shock-absorbing underlay (to make it kinder on the joints). Compared to 2G, it’s a dream to play on.

http://www.5-a-side.com/uncategorized/artificial-grass-3g-4g-pitches/

Yes I was just curious. Completely agree that artificial turf continues to get better and better. 

The turf in our indoor facility got replaced a couple of years ago and it is much much better than any other artificial surface I've played on. It's much more forgiving, much more like grass in how it feels looks and plays, and overall a more pleasant experience. I'm just not sure if it's 3G or not and therefore not sure if that's what the above is referring to. 

Pretty much every major field in Canada can be considered third generation and we basically have the best of what is out there.  I find British articles somewhat confusing as they seem to mention 4G surfaces when there is no such thing.  That's a marketer's way of trying to differentiate one 3G surface from another. Rest assured that all our new stadiums got the very best surface available.

Lest I be corrected, in Canada we basically skipped the second generation and went from an "AstroTurf" type field to a "FieldTurf" like field.

There may have been a few more "2G" fields but the only one I can recall at the moment was "OmniTurf" in Regina.

• 3 months later...
On 9/17/2016 at 8:45 PM, Joe MacCarthy said:

Pretty much every major field in Canada can be considered third generation and we basically have the best of what is out there.  I find British articles somewhat confusing as they seem to mention 4G surfaces when there is no such thing.  That's a marketer's way of trying to differentiate one 3G surface from another. Rest assured that all our new stadiums got the very best surface available.

Lest I be corrected, in Canada we basically skipped the second generation and went from an "AstroTurf" type field to a "FieldTurf" like field.

There may have been a few more "2G" fields but the only one I can recall at the moment was "OmniTurf" in Regina.

From my understanding 4G is a bit of a misnomer. It is more like 3.1 G and only Commonwealth Stadium has it. It's called Hydrochill and I think it's proprietary to Shaw Sports. Basically something in the infil or the Turf retains moisture even after the water has drained. Thus when the turf is moistened, it has the effect of cooling the surface and material and allowing it to evapourate and stay cooler. I don't think it has a actual effect on how the turf plays physically. It just stays cooler and is more comfortable for atheletes to play on.

http://www.shawsportsturf.com/gtr-installs-shaw-sports-turf-and-hydrochill-at-commonwealth-stadium/

I honestly don't know how often (if at all) Commonwealth waters the turf though. It's kind of counterintuitive to water an artificial surface.

I should also note, that the Big O uses a product called Xtreme Turf (based out of Austin) and I don't think it's to the same standard as FieldTurf Revoultion, which I believe every artificial turf venue uses, save Commonwealth, BC Place and SkyDome; who use comparable Shaw Sports, Polytan and AstroTurf surfaces.

Archived