Anthony Jackson-Hamel

Dub Narcotic

18 hours ago, badname22 said:

should AJH be gold cup starter?

Assuming that Cyle Larin will be our first striker i don't think that AJH is the best compliment for him. If we do go with two strikers i see Ricketts being a better fit. Not to mention Rickett's success with the CMNT. I think AJH will be a starter in a couple years. But for now he is a better fit off the bench in my opinion. We all know how good he can be late in a game. 

That being said, if either Ricketts or Larin struggle in the first couple games i would love AJH to get a chance to prove his worth as a starter for the CMNT. Either in the prep games or the Gold Cup. 

If we do go two strikers I do not think Ricketts is the best to start next to Larin. Larin plays well with Carlos Rivas who is a hard working forward that produces assists. Ricketts on the other hand can not be relied upon to make nice passes. I think Ricketts is best served as being the late sub as his skills work very well vs tired defences.

I really hope we use two strikers as that is a good position for us at the moment.

12 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

If we do go two strikers I do not think Ricketts is the best to start next to Larin. Larin plays well with Carlos Rivas who is a hard working forward that produces assists. Ricketts on the other hand can not be relied upon to make nice passes. I think Ricketts is best served as being the late sub as his skills work very well vs tired defences.

I really hope we use two strikers as that is a good position for us at the moment.

Akindele should be his partner as Akindele does the dirty work for Urruti when he partners him in Dallas.

12 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

That is true. AJH is a much better passer. AJH is used to a role as the target man though. Which is what Larin is best at. That is why i was leaning towards Ricketts, he usually runs about and opens up space. That would allow the midfield to get the ball to Larin. It is a pretty tough choice though. All depends on Zambrano's chosen style and the starting mids i suppose.

Play the 4-4-2 with AJH & Larin up top. Have Ricketts & Ankindele as the outside pair of the midfield 4. Since Hutch won't be there the 2 central midfield positions are open (I'd play Johnson at RB as he is doing great at it for Orlando).

4 hours ago, TRM said:

Play the 4-4-2 with AJH & Larin up top. Have Ricketts & Ankindele as the outside pair of the midfield 4. Since Hutch won't be there the 2 central midfield positions are open (I'd play Johnson at RB as he is doing great at it for Orlando).

He's not playing there anymore. Hasn't in some time now.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I was hoping Jackson-Hamel would get the chance to win the starting striker position in Montreal but there are rumours saying they are looking into Ezequiel Cerutti ( wikipedia ).

article

Lets hope that whoever they bring in, Jackson-Hamel can beat them for that spot.

Is it just me or does that guy have an underwhelming resume? If wikipedia can be believed he has only scored 16 goals in 8 years of pro soccer, as a striker.

Again impressed by AJH, I wonder if the holding him back is actually motivating him more than getting the starts. He is in dangerous territory with being labelled a permanent super sub!

He hinted that he was close to moving on from Montreal. He will certainly need more regular starts to progress. Wouldn't be hugely shocked, but worried he will end up being a CPL marquee. I'd hope not as I think he has a huge upside but his coach isn't convinced and it might be just as hard anywhere else in the MLS. Seems like he is progressing every year though now and is delivering on the goal front.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Is it just me or does that guy have an underwhelming resume? If wikipedia can be believed he has only scored 16 goals in 8 years of pro soccer, as a striker.

Ye but he is South American. That all but makes up for the lack of goals.

Would have loved to see AJH and Larin on together.  We don't have Kaka in the midfield, at least not yet, and Larin would do better if he had someone else occupying the minds of the central defenders.  He does relatively well for Canada, missed sitters not withstanding, considering how isolated he is in the attacking half.

8 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

With what just happened with Larin i think AJH might get a chance. Even if he doesnt get the start in the first game i think Larin will have a short leash... 

I think larin is gonna skip the gc for rehab. I still don't think ajh should start but it would not shock me now

• 1 month later...

A few different discussion going on concerning AJH and his lack of playing time/starts given the goals he has been scoring.What I would like Biello to do is give him a couple of starts in a row and see how he handles it. It is not really fair to give him one start every couple of months and then if he is not great don't start him again for a long time especially when Mancosu is not doing very much. From what I have noticed with AJH, I don't think he is more of a sub than a starter, I think it is more that he plays well when the team is attacking. When we are bunkering and counter-attacking he seems to disappear and not be able to play a target striker. I think the Impact game against Red Bull and also the Canada game against Costa Rica showed that. It is something he needs to work on but if he is not getting any starts he can not improve that aspect. For the moment for Canada I would start Cavallini against a strong team that we will be counter attacking but AJH against a team we are going to attack against. Last year I was really impressed with Mancosu but he has been really disappointing so far and at times seems to be lacking effort or concentration. Given that I would like Biello to give AJH a string of starts to see if he can establish himself as the starter. 

^I buy your argument, except Biello has to be feeling heat with Mtl 5 pts out of playoff spot. He can gamble and insert AJH into starting lineup and see if that works. Or, go for conservative approach and use AJH as a super sub which works. Maybe get another striker. 

I watched the Orlando City vs Montreal Impact game Saturday night. What I have trouble understanding is why Biello waited until the 79th minute to sub in Jackson-Hamel. Mancosu wasn't having a good game and the Impact really needed the win to remain in the running for a playoff spot.

Edited by Grandbloke

• 2 weeks later...