Anthony Jackson-Hamel

Dub Narcotic

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Jackson-Hamel wants to play more, elsewhere of that's what it takes. Garde says he's an asset worth keeping but have to figure out how to use him.

Garde and Jackson-Hamel don't sound like they are on good terms

Actually it is Leduc not Garde who is saying he's an asset and that Garde should figure out how to use him.

There are rumours which I do not know how true they are that AJH is not disciplined and likes to party so maybe there are other reasons Garde does not seem to like him but  it is still mystifying why Garde does not play him when the alternative is Mancosu who has been terrible, Amarikwa who doesn't seem to have been a particularly great striker previously in his career or playing Piatti at striker where he transforms from one of the best players in the league to being totally ineffective. I watch AJH a lot during the matches and he has some very good instincts and is doing a lot of things right when he does not have the ball. He showed last year that he can score even when the coaching staff did not show much trust in him and he had to force them to play him by being the only effective striker we have. I think Garde doesn't like him (and is wrong about that, still not impressed by Garde) and that he is not one of the favourite players of the Impact management so I hope he gets out of Montreal soon. I think he has the potential to be a very good striker and needs to get an environment with a coach that trusts him and teammates that can get him the ball when he is positioning himself well.

Doesn’t help that he is made out of glass. He’s been injured for the majority of the year with a lot of minor problems. Last year was the first year where injuries didn’t really limit him. 

Seems like a lot of Impact academy players are very injury prone once they sign their MLS deals. 

I don’t watch Montreal very often, so I just had to look up some numbers for Amarikwa, Mancosu, and AJH. Here is what I learned.

AJH scored  9 goals last season in just over 1100 minutes. Amarikwa’s best season was 8 goals in just over 2500 minutes, which is 400 more minutes than AJH has played in his entire career. Mancosu’s best season was 6 goals last season in just over 1700 minutes.

For career numbers its 24 goals in 9217 minutes over 10 seasons for Amarikwa. 12 goals in 3592 minutes over 3 seasons for Mancosu. And 12 goals in 2166 minutes for AJH over 5 seasons.

AJH has scored 2 goals this season in 570 minutes compared to 0 for Amarikwa in 2017 and 2018 in 515 minutes. The year before, in 2016 Amarikwa needed 1699 minutes to scrounge up 3 goals. Mancosu has scored one more goal than AJH this year with almost twice as many minutes played as AJH.

So yeah, play AJH!!!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

What happened to the Reports that AJH was linked with Ligue 2 Side Brest for a  loan with option to buy?

I read an article saying that they were gonna finish the season with 4 forwards 

He needs to play, maybe it’s best to depart

From what I understand, they never contacted the Impact about it. 

• 1 month later...

Looks like he won’t be an impact player no longer. Could AJH be heading Ligue 2? Or do you see him in another MLS Club

Perhaps CPL when Quebec City is announced (2020 earliest) 

Although I think he can play at a high level and remain part of the NT set-up, I wonder if Herdman has him in his future plans 

CPL would be a good option for him and maybe even the quickest way back to the MNT.  Realistically there are guys who will do well and the CSA is going to promote their league by giving a couple call ups (while probably ignoring USL more than usual). If AJL went out and scored 20 goals in CPL at 26 he would be looking good for whatever his next step is. 

Must be much more to it with this one. I think he is a solid player. I'm not sure why he doesn't get chances. He has proven himself as a starter as much as an impact sub. He definitely adds something different to our striker pool imo. 

Either he doesn't train well or isn't as good as his appearances suggest. 

A move has looked on the cards for a while. Id take him at the whitecaps. CPL seems beneath him but he may be in the same boat as akinele, finding himself bench bound again.

15 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Must be much more to it with this one. I think he is a solid player. I'm not sure why he doesn't get chances. He has proven himself as a starter as much as an impact sub. He definitely adds something different to our striker pool imo. 

Either he doesn't train well or isn't as good as his appearances suggest. 

A move has looked on the cards for a while. Id take him at the whitecaps. CPL seems beneath him but he may be in the same boat as akinele, finding himself bench bound again.

I expected this unfortunately. It seems that Remi doesn't rate him very highly.

His 9 goal season came under a different coach and different system, plus he was surrounded by different players. I think AJH played up to his potential in a season where everything was clicking for him on a personal level.

But things didn't go his way this season, sadly.

I think he can replicate his 2017 success under the right conditions, but I am not sure how many other MLS clubs will give him starting minutes in the position he plays.

If he has any offers outside of the league, he should consider them, especially if they are to play at a lower level than MLS.

I think a mid table ligue 2 side would be right. A club where minutes are easier to come by, with chances to gain confidence in a fresh environment. Being a francophone, the adjustment would be easier I imagine.

I also think a lower table team in Switzerland or Belgium top flight could be an option, or if he really wants to take a step back in order to take 2 steps forward, I would suggest Finland, because the league is such where he'd have the potential to really shine, but the league has enough exposure where other European clubs would take notice. Being the top score in Finland probably holds more weight than being the top scorer in Ireland or another similar level league. Finland has a track record of providing a gateway to many leagues in Europe.

I think the CanPL would be too low for now for a permanent move, but a short term loan would be fine in my books.

Edited by Obinna

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, toontownman said:

On the bench this weekend but unused. Good he isn't frozen out but surely he has to move on to somewhere he is appreciated. The man can score and create. I'm disappointed his potential isn't being realized. 

He’ll likely get his chances. Up to him to capitalize on them, which he most often failed to do last year. I hope he does well.

1 hour ago, Bdog said:

I totally forgot about him. At one point he was 3rd on our striker depth chart, no?

Yes he was. I'm surprised that he's still at the impact! I honestly thought he was gonna move away to Ligue 2 or try luck with another MLS Club this year as was linked and rumoured to be on the way out. His Manager Remi Garde clearly doesn't trust him or rate him very highly as he disappeared out of the XI early on in 2018 and then the 18' second half of the season 

He’s one more player who I think would be better off playing game in and game out at this stage of his career as opposed to warming the bench, hopefully he makes the most of any chances he might get! If it doesn’t work out with the Impact he would be a great signing for Bunbury’s rumoured CPL team!

13 hours ago, gator said:

He’s one more player who I think would be better off playing game in and game out at this stage of his career as opposed to warming the bench, hopefully he makes the most of any chances he might get! If it doesn’t work out with the Impact he would be a great signing for Bunbury’s rumoured CPL team!

I feel that point is especially true for strikers and goalkeepers.

Drop a level if necessary. Get a resume of better than a goal every other game. Then people will come looking for you.

• 4 weeks later...

I really don't understand what Garde is doing with Jackson-Hamel. He brought him on in extra time on Saturday only after Urruti had a knock. When you are losing 5-0 with 20 minutes to go in the game, why don't you bring Urruti off to protect him from injury and put on Jackson-Hamel to get some game time. In the end of year press conference last year Garde said he only had a discipline problem with one player last year and it wasn't Jackson-Hamel. If that is true, why does he hardly get any minutes? If he is not going to get minutes then we should release him to go somewhere that he will get minutes. I still think he is a player with a lot of promise and it seems like Garde is holding him back. I am still not sold on Garde and I think we had a poor off season of signings once again and have a weak team that is dependent on a few top players. If those players get injured or slump we are in big trouble. If we had really upgraded at striker I can understand playing others and releasing AJH but since we still do not have a lot of depth in that position why not try to help him get back on track since we may really need him at some point this season? 

• 4 weeks later...

Both players need more opportunities to start, hope Toronto and Montreal can give them the playing time they need to have a step up. The numbers don't lie; off the bench and in limited minutes each have been productive. For Hamilton it's about having a break out season and AJH getting back to that level he had in 2017

Its worth saying that he's already equaled his tally from last season in one match, Remi Garde needs to play him 

Lets go! Happy to see Canadians have success at the MLS level 🇨🇦 Now it's about consistency and form, in the fall I could see one or the other being recalled to the MNT vs Cuba in September for the Nations league two legger Fixture. After gold cups historically speaking, there's always some rotation to see newer faces left off the squad and what not 

After watching Urruti play, it's clear why he has not scored a goal this season. He works his butt off and is great defensively but is not sharp in the final third. Rarely did he put himself in position to score. AJH on the other hand has always been a finisher. Cool under pressure. I hope he gets sub minutes at the very least going forward. With Larin not playing and not match fit, if either AJH/Akindele/JH get hot, I would take one ahead of him. With a tight Gold Cup schedule/injury  Cav is not going to start each game. We need another striker in form on the squad.