Montreal to affiliate/form USL team in 2015.

Dub Narcotic

My French isn't the greatest, but that tweet makes it sound like they will have a team in USL Pro (ie. similar to the Whitecap situation) as opposed to an affiliate (ie. TFC loaning players to Wilmington).

Great news if its a full team.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the CSA was not going to sanction USL Pro teams in Canada because they wanted the Canadian structure to be MLS -> NASL and then the 3rd division would be made up of a western league and ontario league and a quebec league. I guess this has changed since Vancouver already have started the process of creating the team?

I thought the CSA was not going to sanction USL Pro teams in Canada because they wanted the Canadian structure to be MLS -> NASL and then the 3rd division would be made up of a western league and ontario league and a quebec league. I guess this has changed since Vancouver already have started the process of creating the team?

They wouldn't sanction it ie, they wouldn't play in the Voyageurs' Cup. Since it's a glorified reserve league, they will tolerate it.

The CSA will allow "extensions" of the MLS teams' sanctioning into USL-Pro reserve teams, but there will be no "new" USL-Pro teams.

(Edit: ie the CSA considers the New Westminster Whitecaps (or what you will) to be a part of the Vancouver Whitecaps organisation and not a new team requiring separate sanctioning.)

Reports are the NASL will not expand in Montreal anyways, so a local squad does not change anything as far as the CSA is concerned.

But I wonder how it will affect local dynamics?

The PLSQ is stable for now, but a USL team in the city on top of them and the Impact might suck the air out of the room, or perhaps act as a catalyst and be the rising tide that floats all boats.

You have missed quite a bit. In 2012 the CSA abdicated all responsibility for D3. They turned over oversight and sanctioning to the Provincial Associations. Due to technicalities they had to let the CSL (Corrupt Soccer League) based in Ontario continue to play in 2013. 2014 saw the premiere of League One Ontario (L1O) and the third year of the Première Ligue de soccer du Québec (PLSQ) which are officially sanctioned as D3.

There has been no movement in the last three years to create a new "Western" D3 league, at least in BC, which I speculate (ie MY OPINION) is because there was no appetite amongst the BC soccer community for such a (again MY OPINION) foolish notion.

Instead, in BC the biggest club (Vancouver Whitecaps) have recognised that the best way to proceed with D3 is to get on board with the existing agreement between MLS and USL Pro which sees the MLS teams create teams in that league or affiliate with an existing team.

The CSA will allow "extensions" of the MLS teams' sanctioning into USL-Pro reserve teams, but there will be no "new" USL-Pro teams.

Well, you have that partially correct and partially I think you are either making it up or have secret knowledge not available to the rest of us.

The CSA has stated publicly that these teams are indeed simply extensions of the MLS clubs and would NOT be eligible to compete in the VCup.

There has been NOTHING, ZERO, NADA, from the CSA that says there will be no "new" USL Pro teams. That is either pure fantasy or some sort of backroom talk.

There may be a temporary suspension of "new" teams if the rumors are true (and they seem to be solid) of a possible expansion of the NASL in Canada based on a partnership between CSA, CFL and perhaps TSN. If that pans out I could see a case being made to suspend any further USL Pro teams until they sort out which markets might support teams in this new endeavor since markets that can support NASL are also going to be in consideration for USL Pro.  ie. here in Victoria the debate amongst fans is whether NASL or USL Pro is the appropriate level for us.

There has been NOTHING, ZERO, NADA, from the CSA that says there will be no "new" USL Pro teams. That is either pure fantasy or some sort of backroom talk.

There has been no news on them repealing their directive of no USL-Pro teams. Why would they need to clarify that TFC/Impact/Whitecap owned teams would be allowed via what is, essentially, a loophole, if not for them maintaining that stance? If they were good with USL-Pro, wouldn't those teams just... be?

^ Hey LSM, read the next paragraph after the one you quoted.

Now, please show me a link to any news story, interview or press release from the CSA that says they will never consider any applications for a non-MLS affiliate USL Pro team in Canada.

I find that the CSA releases fairly little news - I very much doubt I'll find an article saying "yep, nothing's changed from what we previously said." But until there's an article saying "nope, things have changed" (which we might get), I'm pretty sure my brain has grasped the natural assumption. 

And never is a strong word. Which I didn't use.

Some insight:

HAMILTON IN USL
Last January, Montagliani said that the Canadian Soccer Association wouldn’t sanction USL-PRO teams based in Canada. (CLICK HERE)

But, as investors look to move the Toronto Lynx into Hamilton — and build an affiliation with Toronto FC as mandated by the MLS-USL working agreement — it looks as if the position has been softened. Toronto Lynx president Alain Theroux has asked Hamilton’s council to consider a plan to allow it to become a tenant in the new Tim Hortons Field.

Included in the documents to Hamilton City Council was a CSA letter of support for a Hamilton USL team.

When asked if a Hamilton USL team would get sanctioned, Montagliani said it’s too far away to say yes or no.

“They are still far away from getting to that point,” said the CSA president.

But Montagliani said situations like Hamilton’s could be examined on a “case by case” basis.

“It’s about creating as many opportunities as we can for Canadian players, Canadian coaches,” he said.

And he said sanctioning is a lot more than a rubber stamp. A club has to prove itself to the CSA, that it’s financially viable and invested in the future.

“When we put in the moratorium (on sanctioning lower-division teams in non-Canadian based leagues) we didn’t do it so we could say we did not want to sanction this guy or those guys. We wanted to take a long look at our pyramid and see how it could develop. We wanted to see what would happen with the Quebec semipro league and now an Ontario semipro league. We have some things that we want to happen in the next two or three years in relation to the professional game and the way the pyramid is shaped in Canada.”

As for those plans, Montagliani said the CSA isn’t ready to unveil them yet.

http://the11.ca/2013/10/28/csa-president-canadian-nwsl-franchise-wouldnt-have-to-be-in-mls-city-hamilton-usl-sanction-decision-still-far-away/

And never is a strong word. Which I didn't use.

Hence the reason for the next paragraph I wrote speculating on the longevity of any "ban".

Some insight:

HAMILTON IN USL

Last January, Montagliani said that the Canadian Soccer Association wouldn’t sanction USL-PRO teams based in Canada. (CLICK HERE)

Great thanks, that was what I was hoping LSM would provide.

I was (trying to) speak in regard to the present. If my words implied that USL-Pro (or other lower league) teams would never be sanctioned, that was not my intent and I apologise for the confusion.

And ooops, sorry, I didn't realise you were unaware of the Hamilton situation. The article DigzTFC linked is from ten months ago; I'd head-filed that info as old news and common knowledge, but I guess if you're not from the area you'd be unaware. So, bad assumption on my part, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering what level of fan support they are hoping for on the USL side or will it be a complete write off in terms of revenue ?

In 2015 Games will be played either at Saptuto or the grass field right outside. In both cases entrance is Free. 

2016 forward games will all be at Claude Robillard, again, for free.

The idea is that this is a development investment, not a revenue source.

I nice bit of news that didn't make most news summaries is that while they'll train for the 2015 preseason indoors at Marie-victorin, subsequent winters will all happen at the new training center, because they will install an inflatable dome on one of the synthetic fields.

I was thinking about that. are their any elite level organizations in the maritime beyond the kids intercity level?

If not, the Impact should extend a hand.

I think it might happen organically. The Impact plan to have links to local soccer clubs in eastern Quebec, and those clubs have a lot of contact further east. So there should be some transfer as opportunities for advancement open up.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/csa-requires-strict-canadian-quotas-for-usl-pro-sanctioning-r4815

Each team will be required to ensure that 50 percent of its active USL-Pro roster is Canadian. Importantly, it defines Canadians not by their citizenship but rather by their national team eligibility. Canadians capped by other nations are free to play for the teams, but will be considered imports in relation to CSA sanctioning.

To ensure that the cubs aren't just filling out their roster with Canadians for the sake of meeting the quota, the CSA is also requiring that six of the starting 11 players for each game be Canadian.

I like the bit about 6 of 11 starters needing to be Canadian, as well as defining Canadians by their eligibility, not their passport. But honestly, I think 50% of the roster is actually a little low. I would love to see VWC or the Impact come out and say they will voluntarily beat that. Especially the Impact... they could totally play the supporting Quebec card by saying they're aiming for 50% Qc players, with 25% rest of Canada and 25% other.

I think the "Canada eligible" clause is a great one, cause it might make youth players think twice about jumping ship, as with 6 of 11 players at this level needed to be eligible for Canada, making a switch would directly affect their playing time. (not mentioning any names here... by think ya know who I'm talking about)

I am satisfied with the requirement. It's low enough that most teams what actually care can reach is easily, but at the same time it stops teams like LA2, which are using their team more for training and recuperating their lesser first team players.

Archived