Against All Odds: Fifth Estate Story of 86 Canada WC Team

Sorry if this was posted previously, i don't remember it. 

While looking for the Fifth Estate story on Puffy Duffy, I came across this interesting tidbit.  Boy, if Canadian soccer players think they have it bad now... Yikes... BC Place on AstroTurf!  Interesting fight song as well.

Against All Odds: Fifth Estate Story of  86 Canada WC Team

In this Fifth Estate piece from 1986, Hana Gartner reports on the Canadian soccer team's successful qualification for the World Cup Tournament, despite the collapse of professional soccer in Canada and the unwillingness of indoor soccer league teams to release contracted players for training. Includes interviews with players Bruce Wilson, George Pacos, Terry Moore, David Norman, and Bob Lenarduzzi, coach Tony Waiters, Tacoma Stars manager John Best, and Pele.

Thanks Joe.  I haven't seen that Fifth Estate episode in decades.  Fighting song sounds like it was an Irish Rovers-country song.  

But I guess Canada (CSA?) hasn't learned much by trusting American leagues (ie. MISL, in this case) for helping and developing Canadian players. (Yes, I do recognize the significant role that the North American Soccer League had, but you all know what I mean.) 

What made the story for me was the humility of Terry Moore and being almost humbled by the honour.  Interesting to see Bruce Wilson going over the odds of what eventually did happen. 

Yes, they didn't win a game or score a goal but they did what they set out to do and represent the country well and made us proud.  I have the FIFA reports in my collection somewhere and they were very complementary of the team.

What made the story for me was the humility of Terry Moore and being almost humbled by the honour.  Interesting to see Bruce Wilson going over the odds of what eventually did happen. 

Yes, they didn't win a game or score a goal but they did what they set out to do and represent the country well and made us proud.  I have the FIFA reports in my collection somewhere and they were very complementary of the team.

What Tony Waiters said about many great players never getting anywhere near the World Cup struck a chord with me. The Canadian team didn`t score or win a game but they took part in the big show.

On that note, I found this article that talks about some great players like Ryan Giggs and George Best who never made it to the WC:

http://sports.xin.msn.com/world-cup-2014/trivia/best-footballers-who-never-played-at-the-world-cup-2#image=1

• 5 months later...

... Those shirts at the 6:40 mark should make a comeback.

A big CSA logo on the front of a T-shirt like that would be better than what I can see now on the official merchandise site.

http://csa.rmpathletic.com/en/all/canada-umbro-red-tshirt.html

... Yikes... BC Place on AstroTurf!..

Exhibition Stadium in Toronto with its terrible artificial turf of that era (the Blizzard played there at that time) was actually used for a Canada-Mexico WCQ game in 1980.

• 3 years later...

So whats the connection between current events and the 1986 world cup where canada particpated in?  

Answer.   The Montreal impact annouced their coaching staff recently and one of the coaches is Joel Bats.  The goal keeper for France in the opening game for Canada at that world cup.    At the press conference last week, someone asked him what he remembers about that game?   His reponse was that he recalls the final score,  that it was a complicated / difficult game.  And that it was very hot.

I remember him flubbing Brehme's free kick winning goal in the semi-final vs the (West) Germans.  Mind you, playing at altitude the ball does some funny things, even when it looks to be coming right at you.  Sadly, that was the end of that great generation of French players and they weren't able to get their World Cup revenge from four years' before.

11 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I remember him flubbing Brehme's free kick winning goal in the semi-final vs the (West) Germans.  Mind you, playing at altitude the ball does some funny things, even when it looks to be coming right at you.  Sadly, that was the end of that great generation of French players and they weren't able to get their World Cup revenge from four years' before.

Yes, i seem to recall that French squad having a lot of carry over from the 1982 squad that went to semi finals that year and lost to Germany in what is regarded by many, to this day, as the best soccer game ever.  I am inclined to agree,  for drama, it was hard to beat that one. 

Regarding Joel Bats is that (as i recall it) Goalkeeping was a weakness for France in that era.  

Just now, Free kick said:

Yes, i seem to recall that French squad having a lot of carry over from the 1982 squad that went to semi finals that year and lost to Germany in what is regarded by many, to this day, as the best soccer game ever.  I am inclined to agree,  for drama, it was hard to beat that one. 

The interesting thing about Joel Bats is that (as i recall it) Goalkeeping was a weakness for France in that era.  

Bats was decent.  His predecessor, Jean Luc Ettori, was a little dodgy.

I was pulling for the French in 86 but they ran out of gas after that epic penalty decided QF vs Brazil.  I didn't want that thug Schumacher to win.

8 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Bats was decent.  His predecessor, Jean Luc Ettori, was a little dodgy.

I was pulling for the French in 86 but they ran out of gas after that epic penalty decided QF vs Brazil.  I didn't want that thug Schumacher to win.

Thank you.   Yes.  I was trying for the past hour or so to remember that name. Yes.  Ettori was the one i was thinking of.  He, not Bats, was pretty shaky.

Update of original link

Against All Odds The Fifth Estate January 2, 2014
18:14

In this fifth estate piece from 1986, Hana Gartner reports on the Canadian soccer team's successful qualification for the World Cup Tournament, despite the collapse of professional soccer in Canada and the unwillingness of indoor soccer league teams to release contracted players for training. Includes interviews with players Bruce Wilson, George Pacos, Terry Moore, David Norman, and Bob Leonarducci, coach Tony Waiters, Tacoma Stars manager John Best, and Pele.

• 10 months later...

Archived