What was a worse overall defeat?

xcalibre

Just wondering if anyone else agrees that Brazil's loss at home was even bigger than our collapse down in Honduras.  Obviously as Canucks that one hurt more, but for Brazil to ship that many goals at home seems an even bigger thrashing than we received, all things considered...

Definitely a worse outcome for Brazil I think. Outside of CONCACAF (and even then, really outside of Canada and Honduras) not many people really paid much attention to our defeat. Additionally, I don't think may put much weight behind Canadian Soccer anyway. To most, it was inevitable that Canada would be knocked out of qualifying somehow. 

For Brazil though, the entire World was watching that game. The hopes of an entire nation (who were at the game, not watching from home) were riding on a result. They are historically a strong, top-tier team. They should never get defeated like that, and for everyone to see it, it made it so much worse. It's not like here, where Canada gets to try again in four years. Brazil may not host a World Cup for another 60 or 70. The prospect of winning at home was taken away from them in devastating fashion.

Imagine if it were Russia 7 - Canada 1 ... in hockey, and held in Montreal.  That's what similarly happened to Brazil.  

That however doesn't minimize the sting of losing to Honduras, the worst participant in this year's World Cup in my opinion. : (

I think equating a 7-1 loss in a soccer game to a 7-1 loss in a hockey game is too kind.  A 7-1 loss in a soccer game is like losing 14-2 in a hockey game.

**Edit**  Quote function not working.  That should have included redhat's post.

We are objectively a shitty team. Brazil aren't. Their's was worse. 

Yeah, we would have to lose by a score well into double digits to come close to the humiliation of being "Ipswiched" like that.

---

Ipswiched - adjective - buggered, screwed, to be done up the arse in a humiliating defeat as in Manchester United vs. Ipswich Town (1995). "Craig Forrest well remembers being Ipswiched that day at Old Trafford."[1]

Imagine if it were Russia 7 - Canada 1 ... in hockey, and held in Montreal.  That's what similarly happened to Brazil.  

That however doesn't minimize the sting of losing to Honduras, the worst participant in this year's World Cup in my opinion. : (

I don't have to imagine it, I was at "that" game - USSR 8 Canada 1 in the Forum 1981.

Was pretty funny to talk to people about this result and when I chime in with my "Devastating like when Canada lost 8-...." before I get cut off with the people saying something like "That was nothing compared to this!" .. so I guess good for Canadian soccer? LOL

I understand what the OP means, and that this is supposed to be an objectified look at things, but I'll still say Canada's 8-1 loss vs. Honduras, because I don't care about Brazil winning or losing.

Which, obviously, is the opposite when it comes to our National teams.

Archived