Garber hints at change to 'Canadians as internationals' rule.

Dub Narcotic

This is potentially super negative for PDL clubs. United had guys like Chapman and Camargo, will they be domestics? They started at TFC and left for College, played PDL with KW in the summers. If I am reading this rule right, they are now ineligible, but someone like Darrin McLeod who went back to the TFC PDL team would still be eligible.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, we have waited for this rule change for years.  And instead of getting the reasonable concession we have waited for, we get a limited rule change that will not only see Canadians still treated unequally, but will also be a barrier to CPL success by pressuring some players into MLS development streams.

Is that accurate?

Like I said... I see it as a gesture to calm down CSA on the de-sanction threats.

It does indeed seems like a way to attract youth to MLS Academies before CPL future academies. MLS isn't willing to let go of the 3 markets that brings so much money and some for of legitimity to MLS.

In my book, they delayed the inevitable...De-sanctioning to hand over the big 3 markets to CPL once the time is right. Their US law excuse was a joke all along and I don't forsee that it will stop American clubs from discriminate against Canadian players.

CSA's play is the right one. Keep MLS around while building up CPL and once ready, de-sanctioned.

Sorry but their "Canadian solution" is underwhelming and just smoke and mirror

56 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

This is the aspect that worries me as well; it could prevent young talent from wanting to sign up with the CPL if they're got dreams of going higher to MLS.

If MLS was the destination, it would deter someone from signing with the CPL. However, currently, nobody dreams of playing in the MLS. When a few guys from CPL get transferred to Europe, I think that would solidify even further you can forgo MLS as some sort of spring board league.

36 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So, we have waited for this rule change for years.  And instead of getting the reasonable concession we have waited for, we get a limited rule change that will not only see Canadians still treated unequally, but will also be a barrier to CPL success by pressuring some players into MLS development streams.

Is that accurate?

If someone is apart of a Canadian MLS academy, it's not unreasonable to expect them to sign onto the reserve team. Now, loaning said individual out to a CPL side after he signs a pro contract could curtail somebody's reservation from signing onto an MLS side and feeling trapped there after.

9 players!  Ughhh, I guess in the future this will get bigger and bigger as more homegrowns work there way onto rosters.  Right now only Tiebert and Q.Roberts might benefit.  This might make them a little easier to move within MLS and get them fresh starts in better situations.  

45 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Yeah, the authorized youth system whatever has me the most interested.  I wonder what the criteria will be.

EDIT: And if it's code for CPL academies.

When I went back and re-read it, that seems to be the crucial piece:

"MLS will work in coordination with Canada Soccer to identify qualifying Canadian Approved Youth Clubs that meet specific standards in relation to competition, environment, and coaching. These Canadian Approved Youth Clubs may or may not be affiliated with an MLS club. MLS will make available a complete list of qualifying Canadian Approved Youth Clubs at a later date."

What ends up qualifiying as a "Canadian Approved Youth Club" seems to be the deciding factor in whether or not this is a meaningful change for Canadian footy.  If the CSA has agreement that the CPL clubs will qualify as Approved Youth Clubs, then this would be a huge way to encourage domestic growth.  But the wording is pretty specific : "MLS will make available a complete list of qualifying Canadian Approved Youth Clubs at a later date".  If they get to unilaterally exclude CPL clubs from the development stream, then this seems to be an overall negative for Canadian soccer since it would pressure kids to avoid CPL.

3 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

To me, it looks like a move to try to monopolize the talent stream and get players into the USL over the CPL. Basically,

That is the most likely but it will keep them from ANY competitive league. NASL/CPL etc.

I'm surprised the CSA agreed to the "First professional contract" rule given they are trying to start up the CPL.

Or maybe that speaks volumes as to what the CSA really thinks the chances of the CPL are?

This does offer a tangible benefit to Canadian development, provided these "select youth clubs" aren't just a handful of MLS affiliated academies

It would be a crime to exclude SigmaFC from the approved list. Hopefully they will set the bar so we will get more quality development systems not just the 3 MLS clubs' academies.

but I suppose it is better then nothing. I think it's a fair compromise for now, but we'll have to see how it plays out.

Yea not what any of us were hoping for but as you say, better than nothing.

After thinking about this a bit, in the end it's still an improvement, even if it's a convoluted improvement that is not fully what I or many here want.

9 Canadians are considered domestic league wide when they weren't yesterday. If this means Teibert can get a regular MLS gig somewhere, or that Hamilton can get a regular spot in MLS somewhere should he not progress next year, or that Roberts can find a way out of his dead end situation in Toronto, then it's still a better solution than what we had in 2016.

Now, of the 9 Canadians who are now considered domestic, 4 have yet to play an MLS minute, 1 has made 1 appearance and 1 has made 4 appearances, so for me the impact with this group is very limited. What this means for future years, I have no idea, I guess like all baby steps forward the proof of success will be many years out.

Simply put, this isn't good enough. If we blindly accept any improvement, no matter how insignificant, then we will forever be lagging behind. I think of a guy like Shamit Shome. Edmonton is his home town, stays there in the academy of his local team. Decides to go to school and then signs a pro contract for the team that happens to be located where he is going to school...now will forever be a second class citizen in MLS.

We are talking about the captain of our U20 team, the exact type of player we should be opening doors for.

I hope the discussion around this issue does not fade away now after this announcement.

The simple response to this is easy if you don't like it, support a CPL team. You are still supporting Canadian soccer, and you are putting money toward a league that can compete for Canadian talent and offer minutes and be another development path for Canadians.

The inclusion of the criteria to sign the first pro contract with MLS seems so unnecessary. If the rule issues were really only legal, it this caveat does nothing to help them. This shows that they were looking for a way to look inclusive while actually impeding the path for a huge portion of our pool going forward. Shameful 

Interesting snippet from the Toronto Star:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2016/11/30/tfc-gm-says-team-can-be-contender-for-years-to-come.html

A new collaboration between Major League Soccer and the Canadian Soccer Association, announced Wednesday, could also give Toronto FC a hand going forward.

First, the two organizations will collaborate on a joint task force ― including representatives from the league, the national body and all three Canadian MLS team ― focused on creating new initiatives which will help youth development in the country, through academies, coaching, competitions and individualized player development.

A Generation Adidas Canada program will also be put in place, aimed at identifying top talent out of Canada and signing them to subsidized contracts.

Think the key with CPL is to work with MLS and USL rather than compete with it. You make the most progress when everybody is pushing in the same direction.

Any amateur player who was a member of an MLS club academy, either in the U.S. or Canada, or a Canadian Approved Youth Club in the year prior to the year in which he turned 16, will be considered a domestic player upon signing his first professional contract with an MLS club or an MLS club’s USL affiliate.

Think the CSA managed to get a huge concession from MLS on the "Canadian Approved Youth Club" bit as that could massively expand the number of eligible players beyond a narrow Home Grown Player definition in a way that helps players that opt for the NCAA/PDL route. It potentially makes most Canadian players in the Entry Draft eligible for domestic status.

www.canadasoccer.com/mls-announces-collaboration-with-canada-soccer-on-youth-development-initiatives-p160185

MLS will work in coordination with Canada Soccer to identify qualifying Canadian Approved Youth Clubs that meet specific standards in relation to competition, environment, and coaching. These Canadian Approved Youth Clubs may or may not be affiliated with an MLS club. MLS will make available a complete list of qualifying Canadian Approved Youth Clubs at a later date.

Pretty crappy deal overall. But I wonder if a couple others may qualify that weren't mentioned. All the info I have is based of Wikipedia though so may be inaccurate

1. Doneil Henry - Joined TFC academy in 2008 at age 15 - Signed first pro contract with TFC in 2010 at age 17
  2. Callum Irving - Joined VWFC academy in 2007 at age 14 - Signed with Rio Grande Valley FC Toros (Houston Dynamo affiliate) at age 23

16 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

This is potentially super negative for PDL clubs. United had guys like Chapman and Camargo, will they be domestics? They started at TFC and left for College, played PDL with KW in the summers. If I am reading this rule right, they are now ineligible, but someone like Darrin McLeod who went back to the TFC PDL team would still be eligible.

Think the key is keeping amateur status before signing for an MLS team or their USL affiliate. Most of the time in PDL that will be the case, but there are some teams involved that sign players to pro contracts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Development_League#Organization

33 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Pretty crappy deal overall. But I wonder if a couple others may qualify that weren't mentioned. All the info I have is based of Wikipedia though so may be inaccurate

1. Doneil Henry - Joined TFC academy in 2008 at age 15 - Signed first pro contract with TFC in 2010 at age 17
  2. Callum Irving - Joined VWFC academy in 2007 at age 14 - Signed with Rio Grande Valley FC Toros (Houston Dynamo affiliate) at age 23

Had to read the article in French to be sure I fully understood...

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2016/11/30/les-joueurs-canadiens-pourront-changer-de-statut-dans-la-mls

MLS refused to include a "grandfather clause" for eligible Canadians citing "legal issues". That's why the list is only 9 players.

In a nutshell, it changes almost nothing. MLS did this to appease the CSA and their de-sanctioning threats. They don't care about Canadian kids. Who in their right minds would pass on a CPL opportunity or international opportunity for MLS Academies with a "maybe" chance of signing an MLS Contract???

I'd rather play in CPL and prove my worth by having more minutes, which increases my odds at being looked at by foreign leagues if I become a good player than hold out for MLS in USL where I'll be making crappy salary, no one outside of MLS-CPL will take a look at me and it might not pan out in the end.

Make no mistake about it, CSA isn't satisfied with this. Even the "Journal de Montreal" said it didn't changed much a was only a small step. CSA will take this for now and once CPL matures, I expect the de-sanctioning threats to come back.

• All Canadians are domestics or we de-sanction MLS in Canada

Do you understand how Generation Adidas works? It's an active collaboration between the USSF and MLS to give elite youth level American players an opportunity to play anywhere in MLS. A Canadian Generation Adidas means that the CSA will be actively encouraging top CMNT prospects into MLS to emulate Cyle Larin's recent success. There's also this snippet:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2016/11/30/tfc-gm-says-team-can-be-contender-for-years-to-come.html

...First, the two organizations will collaborate on a joint task force ― including representatives from the league, the national body and all three Canadian MLS team ― focused on creating new initiatives which will help youth development in the country, through academies, coaching, competitions and individualized player development...

That doesn't sound like the actions of a national soccer association that are just about to launch their own league as the pinacle of their development pyramid, because they reject MLS as a foreign intruder and see it as the enemy. It looks more like the actions of an association that cynically used the threat of moving in another direction to gain some leverage (and maybe Victor Montagliani actually does deserve some praise on that!).

You can't trust the CSA to steer a steady path on something like this, so we could hear them singing a different tune next year at some point when CPL starts making its big push to put the six teams they need together for a 2018 launch, but if I were a would be investor in that and had been expecting full backing from the CSA as Canada's de jure D1, I would be asking WTF is going on right now.

Archived