Garber hints at change to 'Canadians as internationals' rule.

Dub Narcotic

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

I'm still amazed at people who can't see that the USSF have no interest in seeing Canada rise to potentially challenge them for the limited spots to the World Cup.

It's not a coincidence there are no such discrimination in USL and NASL, it's by design.

Make no mistake about it, MLS aren't please with CPL and to some extend, neither is the USSF who were quite content with the status quo

Agree with your point, but NASL has the same domestics rule as MLS.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/24/2016 at 2:00 PM, Ansem said:

I'm still amazed at people who can't see that the USSF have no interest in seeing Canada rise to potentially challenge them for the limited spots to the World Cup.

It's not a coincidence there are no such discrimination in USL and NASL, it's by design.

Make no mistake about it, MLS aren't please with CPL and to some extend, neither is the USSF who were quite content with the status quo

Considering that FIFA looks to expand number of nations playing in the Finals, it doesn't feel like US is going to lose out on making the Finals as a top 3 or 4 in CONCACAF.

On 11/24/2016 at 2:00 PM, Ansem said:

Considering that FIFA looks to expand number of nations playing in the Finals, it doesn't feel like US is going to lose out on making the Finals as a top 3 or 4 in CONCACAF.

On 11/24/2016 at 0:42 PM, Levi Oakey said:

Really Welshman? This is such a stretch, and actually an example of how hard it is for someone to move up! He is an RSL player but he never, ever saw the field for RSL. After pre-season he was immediately sent back to the Monarchs. T

he problem for Canadians is we aren't very sexy. For Real Salt Lake they can play a homegrown American lad (Sandoval or Velazco) or they can play their other international from Colombia (Olmes Garcia) or Ecudaor (Joao Plata). The idea that a Canadian, who doesn't even play for his home national team, could be better than these guys (even if he actually is) would not be anyone's first assumption. A coach that chooses Welshman is taking a huge risk, and for Welshman, a couple of mistakes and everyone will be calling for his head.

The kid needed 2 hip surgeries, fair to say that wasnt in his control. http://www.rslsoapbox.com/2016/11/17/13615354/player-profiles-emery-welshman

You are right about the Canadians aren't very sexy comment though.

8 hours ago, Carmz said:

The kid needed 2 hip surgeries, fair to say that wasnt in his control. http://www.rslsoapbox.com/2016/11/17/13615354/player-profiles-emery-welshman

True. It will be interesting to see what happens. He scored 6 goals in 19 appearances for the Monarchs in 2015. My understanding is that before the injuries they had already chosen to loan him back to the Monarchs. 

On 24/02/2016 at 9:00 PM, baulderdash77 said:

It's just MLS lip service.  Canada has been a good place for them.  3 of their best clubs are from Canada and there will be real competitive pressure for media eyes and more importantly sponsorship dollars after the CanPL starts up.

So far they've had a monopoly and they've treated us shabbily in the process as far as developing our program.  Now they have to react to the coming competition.

This is pretty much my summary of the situation, MLS-USL has already proven that unless the CSA or FIFA forces their hand, Canadian spots or requirements are not a priority. I'll believe this change when I see it, and I have little doubt if something like this does come down the pipe, they will seek to pay the bare minimum amount of lip service needed to appease the CSA and not alienate the USSF..

Looks like Garber and Montagliani are holding a joint press conference at 5 pm (Eastern??). Steven Sandor believes this will be to discuss changes to MLS roster rules. Not explicitly stated but I would imagine changes to how Canadians are treated in the league.

Either that, or Montagliani will just announce "Canadians will continue to be considered internationals in the United States, and Americans will continue to be considered domestic in Canada". Then he will rip off his suit to reveal a stars-and-stripes suit, and will powerbomb Jonathan Osorio through a table.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

Looks like Garber and Montagliani are holding a joint press conference at 5 pm (Eastern??). Steven Sandor believes this will be to discuss changes to MLS roster rules. Not explicitly stated but I would imagine changes to how Canadians are treated in the league.

Either that, or Montagliani will just announce "Canadians will continue to be considered internationals in the United States, and Americans will continue to be considered domestic in Canada". Then he will rip off his suit to reveal a stars-and-stripes suit, and will powerbomb Jonathan Osorio through a table.

I'm going to go out on a limb whilst taking a shot in the dark and guess slow phased approach that Canadian teams must slowly convert their US Domestic slots to Canadians. Has the two fold benefit of weakening the Canadian franchises who will have Canadians who can't be domestics down south in MLS under the guise of supporting and expanding Canadian development.

3 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

I'm going to go out on a limb whilst taking a shot in the dark and guess slow phased approach that Canadian teams must slowly convert their US Domestic slots to Canadians. Has the two fold benefit of weakening the Canadian franchises who will have Canadians who can't be domestics down south in MLS under the guise of supporting and expanding Canadian development.

I can't see that.  No way MLSE and the other owners would let that happen.  CSA will want to play nice with MLS and the Canadian clubs.  CSA have too much to gain working together in the future with the CPL.

I just find a hard time finding middle ground on the domestic issue, I think if they open it wide open after pleading that labor laws have been the reason why they haven't, it's going to leave them with egg on their face, as it would have basically been a sham the whole time.

1 minute ago, -Hammer- said:

I just find a hard time finding middle ground on the domestic issue, I think if they open it wide open after pleading that labor laws have been the reason why they haven't, it's going to leave them with egg on their face, as it would have basically been a sham the whole time.

there's all sorts of BS ways to come out looking okay. Also, this corner of the internet has a hyper focus on these sorts of rules whereas to the average fan they'll be like "YA, CANADA IS GETTING BETTER AT SOCCER!"

Looks like it's homegrown players are domestic league wide now.

From the announcement itself (which is here) http://www.canadasoccer.com/mls-announces-collaboration-with-canada-soccer-on-youth-development-initiatives-p160185

MLS, Canada Soccer and U.S. Soccer have agreed that in addition to the existing parameters determining a player’s international status on MLS rosters, any player who meets the requirements to qualify as a Homegrown Player as a member of an MLS club academy or has met similar requirements as a member of a Canadian Approved Youth Club, will count as a domestic player (i.e., he will not occupy an international spot) provided that:

• The player became a member of a MLS club academy, either in the U.S. or Canada, or a Canadian Approved Youth Club in the year prior to the year in which he turns 16;

AND

• The player signs his first professional contract with MLS or an MLS club’s USL affiliate.

MLS will work in coordination with Canada Soccer to identify qualifying Canadian Approved Youth Clubs that meet specific standards in relation to competition, environment, and coaching. These Canadian Approved Youth Clubs may or may not be affiliated with an MLS club. MLS will make available a complete list of qualifying Canadian Approved Youth Clubs at a later date.

The updated parameters will go into effect in 2017. Current and future MLS players will be affected in that:

• Any current MLS player who was a member of an MLS club academy in, either in the U.S. or Canada, in the year prior to the year in which they turned 16 will be considered a domestic player on MLS rosters in both the U.S. and Canada beginning in 2017. CLICK HERE for a complete list of current MLS players for whom this rule applies.
  • Any amateur player who was a member of an MLS club academy, either in the U.S. or Canada, or a Canadian Approved Youth Club in the year prior to the year in which he turned 16, will be considered a domestic player upon signing his first professional contract with an MLS club or an MLS club’s USL affiliate.

I don't think this solution means much in 2017, but it's a step in the right direction over the long term. Looking at the Canadian homegrown players today most will now be domestic while others will not:

TFC - Morgan (international), Babouli (international), Chapman (domestic - I think), Mannella (domestic), Hamilton (domestic), Roberts (domestic)

IMFC - Lefevre (international), Choiniere (international), Jackson-Hamel (international), Gagnon-Lapare (domestic), Crepeau (domestic), Beland-Goyete (domestic), Tabla (domestic)

VWFC - Carducci (domestic), McKendry (domestic), Teibert (domestic), Bustos (domestic), Froese (domestic), Davies (domestic)

To me, it looks like a move to try to monopolize the talent stream and get players into the USL over the CPL. Basically, "If you don't walk the MLS career path, you're never going to have the benefit of being a domestic in our league" which I'm surprised the CSA agreed to the "First professional contract" rule given they are trying to start up the CPL.

Then again, they might be thinking this will limit poaching of CPL players, as a player coming out of a Academy is bid on between a CPL or USL teams (though all it's merits and flaws) and if he chooses the CPL (which may pay more then a USL team) and does well, he's still not as an attractive pickup by MLS and is more likely to say in the CPL.

I think it's also very clear, the US labor law was a sham the whole time.

This does offer a tangible benefit to Canadian development, provided these "select youth clubs" aren't just a handful of MLS affiliated academies that are looking for academy profit before actual development. It's no required playing time though, which is still what needs to happen, but I suppose it is better then nothing. I think it's a fair compromise for now, but we'll have to see how it plays out.

10 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

To me, it looks like a move to try to monopolize the talent stream and get players into the USL over the CPL. Basically, "If you don't walk the MLS career path, you're never going to have the benefit of being a domestic in our league" which I'm surprised the CSA agreed to the "First professional contract" rule given they are trying to start up the CPL.

Then again, they might be thinking this will limit poaching of CPL players, as a player coming out of a Academy is bid on between a CPL or USL teams (though all it's merits and flaws) and if he chooses the CPL (which may pay more then a USL team) and does well, he's still not as an attractive pickup by MLS and is more likely to say in the CPL.

I think it's also very clear, the US labor law was a sham the whole time.

This does offer an tangible benefit to Canadian development, provided these "select youth clubs" aren't just a handful of MLS affiliated academies that are looking for academy profit before actual development. It's no required playing time though, which is still what needs to happen, but I suppose it is better then nothing. I think it's a fair compromise for now, but we'll have to see how it plays out.

This is the aspect that worries me as well; it could prevent young talent from wanting to sign up with the CPL if they're got dreams of going higher to MLS.

Archived