Three individuals banned until 2016

Califax

MONTREAL – Three individuals expelled from Stade Saputo at half-time of the game against D.C. United on June 11, following the illegal use of pyrotechnics the week prior, have been sanctioned by the club.

The three supporters have been banned from all games and events held by the Montreal Impact for the remainder of the 2014 season and the entire 2015 season. A review of their case could be conducted prior to the 2016 season. 

The incident caused a fire in the stands at Stade Saputo, putting staff and spectators in danger.

The case is currently under investigation by the Montreal police and fire services. 

The Montreal Impact wants a dynamic and secure environment during its events.

There have been a lot of debates about the use of flares, etc on these forums.  All I have to say on the matter is that, if there are rules set, then rules should be followed.  It is an agreement made when you purchase the ticket, a condition of watching the game.  

Because they help create a great atmosphere and look cool. And atmosphere and fan involvement is one of the greatest things about soccer and one of the things that put it above many other sports particularly the commercial American ones where you are supposed to sit down and be docile until told to shout some lame slogan by the announcer or video scoreboard. We have let the business interests ruin the NHL experience, we should not let them ruin the soccer experience. And flare and smoke increase the ambiance in the stadium. If you compare either in MLS or anywhere else in the world those stadiums where the fans use pyro with those that don't the atmosphere is universally better in those that do. It is at least part of the reason why you can watch a Romanian league game of two teams you never heard of before with 6000 fans in the stadium and the atmosphere is still better than a match between 2 top EPL clubs with 50 000 in attendance. Or even in hockey compare the atmosphere of a European arena with ultras and smoke that seats 5000 with that of an NHL game.

Additionally the danger is way overblown, in all of my years of going to soccer matches both in Europe and in Canada I can't recall ever seeing anyone injured by flares other than by security or police bashing people in the name of protecting us from the pyro. And yes there is a place in the stadium for families and people who just want to sit and watch the game but it shouldn't be the whole stadium like it is in Vancouver (though I will give the Curva some props for doing their best to change it - the Southsiders or what has become of them on the other hand share a lot of the blame for this). And when there is smoke or flares in the UM section in Montreal the whole stadium atmosphere gets more intense not just our section. Countless people have told me that even if our section is too crazy for them to sit in they love the atmosphere it brings to the stadium especially the pyro. It also seems to end up in a lot of the tv footage, newspaper photos and marketing videos despite the fact that it is still prohibited at the stadium and the club will ban anyone they can identify using it.

Pyro is part of soccer history and culture and should remain part of the game. I travel away with Impact a lot and the atmosphere and supporter groups are pretty lame at most MLS stadiums with a very small number of exceptions. If that is what a live soccer experience is then one may as well watch the game on tv.

I think it is clear that a UM02 KOP with pyro creates much more visual impact then without. The FO knows this and has allowed pyro and prepared for it, sand in buckets etc. I have seen Security with gloves to handle flares when removing the spent flares. I suspect this is more to do with Don Garbers presence, an offhand remark and a silly knee jerk response.

Something like "gee they have flares the league cannot risk being sued if that happens"... Then a Junior suit says get the flares and its game on.

The FO can't back off yet and lose face. UM02 are taking a unified stand about supporter rights and culture. There will be talks and flares will return,the bans will be modified.

Heck Ottawa's NASL mascot was named Sparky with a costume of red flames for a head...and the supporters group and fans now call him Flaming Moe. Pyro will be coming to Ottawa games at some point and there will be growing pains with it.

I suspect even MLSE would like smoke in red to appear at TFC games to bolster the atmosphere.

^Right.  I'm not fully against the use of flares, but it has to be in stadium that are prepared for it, and have it in their rules that they are allowed.  That's why the rules need to be followed.  

The fight for those who want the flares need to be against the bans, then.  Not just going in to the stadium and doing it regardless.  

Of course, staff should be prepared for any eventuality, but that includes both removing flares, and removing the people that are using them, given the current situation in Montreal.  And if the ban cannot be lifted, people need to respect that...if the ban IS lifted, well then all fine, but I suspect even then there would be rules governing and limiting their use. 

Archived