Tesho Akindele

You get the feeling he would prefer Canada. He doesn't seem to be a player that makes a rash decision, like choosing the US and only featuring once or twice. I think with the Canadian program he has a lot more playing opportunities and he knows it. It's just that, where is his ceiling? It's like Junior Hoilett, who once might have though he had a chance to represent England. 

This seems to clarify the Tesho situation:

http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/story/2268050/united-states-seeks-fifa-exception-for-ineligible-gedion-zelalem

From the end of the article:

"Zelalem isn't the only American player the rule is currently affecting. Canadian-born FC Dallas forward Tesho Akindele, who grew up in Colorado and became a U.S. citizen last year, can't play for the Americans in this week's friendly against Chile for the same reason. Akindele will automatically become eligible for the U.S. when he turns 23 in March, when he will have fulfilled the five-year residency requirement."

Basically, there is a rule that says these two (Zelalem and Tseho) have to have lived in the U.S. for 5 years after their 18th birthday.  Obviously, the U.S. is having a cow regarding Zelalem and will get an exemption.  But Tesho will have satisfied the 5-year rule when he turns 23 very soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Multiple reports on Twitter that Floro has said Akindele is very very close to playing for Canada (see @stevensandor, @rudischuller, @krwjonze, etc)

And now I feverishly search for any bad remarks I made about him and delete them. :cool::lol:

Edited by shermanator

Oh man some great quotes in that article. Floro truly fucks with his cock. Among them:

- "Canada needs more attention from clubs. At least the same level as the U.S. or Mexico" (talking of the double standard MLS clubs treat releasing Canadian players vs American players)

- "Under my control, Canada is never second place" (talking about players who are on the fence)

Edited by shermanator

Floro's the man. 

Also wow with regards to Akindele. complete 180. 

Imagine Akindele with us in the summer. Maybe it would light a fire under the ass of Cavallani and Hoilett. And may Akindele could give Finlay a call. 

Edited by king1010

Imagine Akindele with us in the summer. Maybe it would light a fire under the ass of Cavallani and Hoilett. And may Akindele could give Finlay a call. 

That would be nice, if Cavallini feels he actually should be glad to be invited to the team. I'm still hoping he'll be there this summer. 

Akindele with us at Gold Cup would give us cover at CF and some depth at RW. Would be good but I am reserving my excitment for when I see him called into camp.

As for Hoilett, well he can barely see the field at QPR, not quite sure he's going to come in and save the day. If he finally gets over whatever issue he has i'll welcome him, but until he hits his Blackburn form I can't say he's a huge loss.

Cavallini's absence is of little concern to me at this point. His strike rate at Fenix is no more impressive than Aleman's at Belen. In fact, I much rather see Aleman at the moment if I had to choose. We have few players like him. Plus if Larin continues his form in Orlando, and Occean starts hitting the net in Norway, do we even need Cavallini? Haber is in the mix too - we can't take everybody to GC.

Finlay shouldn't even be a thought. I would give him a chance to prove himself if he wanted one, but there is absolutely no desire from him, and why would there be really?

Not that we need more CB's at this point - but has Floro spoken to Vitoria recently?

Edited by Obinna

Akindele with us at Gold Cup would give us cover at CF and some depth at RW. Would be good but I am reserving my excitment for when I see him called into camp.

As for Hoilett, well he can barely see the field at QPR, not quite sure he's going to come in and save the day. If he finally gets over whatever issue he has i'll welcome him, but until he hits his Blackburn form I can't say he's a huge loss.

Cavallini's absence is of little concern to me at this point. His strike rate at Fenix is no more impressive than Aleman's at Belen. In fact, I much rather see Aleman at the moment if I had to choose. We have few players like him. Plus if Larin continues his form in Orlando, and Occean starts hitting the net in Norway, do we even need Cavallini? Haber is in the mix too - we can't take everybody to GC.

Finlay shouldn't even be a thought. I would give him a chance to prove himself if he wanted one, but there is absolutely no desire from him, and why would there be really?

Not that we need more CB's at this point - but has Floro spoken to Vitoria recently?

Ya id really like to see aleman as well. And forgot about vittoria. Would be nice to know if there is any interest.

I would be happy to have any of the players you've listed above. They're all upgrades on the players we currently have at each respective position.

Tesho is a nice addition but he's not going to change our MNT right away.

For example, does anyone think he's better than Larin, Occean or Jackson?  I'm not convinced.. I think he's in a very ideal situation in Dallas.  Could he play in the Premier or Bundesliga?  Could he even play in the B2 or Championship?  Not totally convinced that he has gone from NCAA D2 to better than some of the guys in our pool in 2 years.

He adds a different dimension no doubt though so welcome to him.

Tesho is a nice addition but he's not going to change our MNT right away.

For example, does anyone think he's better than Larin, Occean or Jackson?  I'm not convinced.. I think he's in a very ideal situation in Dallas.  Could he play in the Premier or Bundesliga?  Could he even play in the B2 or Championship?  Not totally convinced that he has gone from NCAA D2 to better than some of the guys in our pool in 2 years.

He adds a different dimension no doubt though so welcome to him.

Honestly, Occean shouldn't even be on the radar. I'd take Hume over him any day.

Edited by adrenaline

If we are planning on anything resembling a 4-5-1 then we need OO. He is a beast up there all alone and gets the job done. Him or someone like him but better   :)

While I'm looking forward to Tesho, Cav and Larin playing I think they could use a skilled vet to help them along their pro and country careers. I'm thinking Occean is still the man.

Edited by TRM

Occean is past his prime and has played a total of 56 minutes of club football in the past 365 days. Hume is leaving his prime and has played regularly in India (where he was ISL player of the year....whatever that means) and at Tranmere Rovers as a regularly called upon sub. This isn't like JDG where even if he's not playing regularly, he's still one of the best eleven players in Canada.

Btw, Occean had never scored for us until the past WCQ. In fact, Hume scored the exact number of goals as Occean in the past WCQ (4).

As for our system, Floro has gone 4-4-2 the last couple of games. Not sure how Occean fits into that better than Hume.

If this happens, I think it's very good news. While not a saviour, it builds depth something we definitely lack at striker. If we can get Vitoria to commit, it also helps with the back line. These guys would definitely help with getting players like Hoillet and Finley (and Arfield) to commit/switch. I still have hope for Ferreira and even Fernandes but not sure they are major upgrades on anybody we have already.

In spite of Hoillet's lacklustre play at QPR, we don't have many premiership quality players and he would be a starter on our side. Unfortunately, I don't see him committing until the hex (and possibly even the World Cup). He just seems that kinda of guy. I personally wouldn't be surprise if he waits this time around to see if either us or Jamaica qualifies for the hex and then he takes whoever does.

If  this  happens   I will  be  happy   With  the  emergence   of  Larin   I  think   we  could  have  a  decent  attack   come   Gold  Cup  time  I  am  not  saying  that  these  guys  are  the  next   Gerd  Muller   or  Paolo  Rossi   but  it  will  be    a  huge  upgrade.   Now  lets   see  about  Cavalini,    I  like  to  know  what  his  problem  is.  Now   lets  try  to  get  Finlay   and  Arfield  to  commit.   Hoilett   who  cares...   Oh  I  forgot   about  Ricketts   he  along  with   Larin  And  Akindele  provide  some  Depth   we  have  not  had  in  a  While..

Edited by gigi riva