Tesho Akindele

My only problem is the whole back and forth. Just pick a country and be done with it. Drives me absolutely nuts as a supporter as we seem to deal with fence sitters more than anything else

Yes, that's it.  There is some confusion about whether Tesho pulled out of the Panama match in hope of a future call-up to the USMNT or because Dallas is still in the playoff hunt.  Perhaps its both.  The player could easily have cleared things up by coming out and stating his NT preference.  I lose respect for those that are deliberately vague about their NT allegiances.  If he turns out for the U.S., Canada should have nothing more to do with Akindele.  In fact, I wouldn't mind if we back away now.

Same goes for Junior Hoilett.  As much as we so badly need strikers, he has never shown interest in representing Canada.  Is that the kind of commitment we need when playing WCQs in Central America?

Yes, that's it.  There is some confusion about whether Tesho pulled out of the Panama match in hope of a future call-up to the USMNT or because Dallas is still in the playoff hunt.  Perhaps its both.  The player could easily have cleared things up by coming out and stating his NT preference.  I lose respect for those that are deliberately vague about their NT allegiances.  If he turns out for the U.S., Canada should have nothing more to do with Akindele.  In fact, I wouldn't mind if we back away now.

Same goes for Junior Hoilett.  As much as we so badly need strikers, he has never shown interest in representing Canada.  Is that the kind of commitment we need when playing WCQs in Central America?

I get the sense that some of these fence-sitters just like all the attention get regarding their "decision", and the fact that they may be wanted by multiple teams.  Ugh. 

Would be genuinely interested to know what the current MNT players think.  From Julian's comments in 2012, it sounded as though much of the camp would've taken the likes of JDG2 and Hoilett in a heartbeat, without feeling that it somehow affected their ability to represent Canada proudly. 

But what do they know, we should prefer the opinions of jilted posters here like Lord Bob, who something tells me has never played competitive footy in his life?  (I include myself in that consideration)

Would be genuinely interested to know what the current MNT players think.  From Julian's comments in 2012, it sounded as though much of the camp would've taken the likes of JDG2 and Hoilett in a heartbeat, without feeling that it somehow affected their ability to represent Canada proudly. 

But what do they know, we should prefer the opinions of jilted posters here like Lord Bob, who something tells me has never played competitive footy in his life?  (I include myself in that consideration)

I don't think you need to play competitive footy to have an opinion on loyalty and what's right/wrong. 

We all pay and commit our lives to this team, of course we're going to take offense when over-priveleged players choose to screw over the country that made them and their families over-privelege. 

But the truth is, and I'm just starting to realize this, that these players who are defectors are LOSERS.  They don't have the character to ever be winners because they don't even believe in themselves.  These guys are so insecure about their own talent and the chance at being a key player on Canada that they choose less playing time and responsibility on countries they have smaller ties with and a better chance to ride the coat tails of to silverware. 

Jason De Vos and Craig Forrest wouldn't be denied theirs... even as Canadians.

Edited by Keegan

I don't think you need to play competitive footy to have an opinion on loyalty and what's right/wrong.

We all pay and commit our lives to this team, of course we're going to take offense when over-priveleged players choose to screw over the country that made them and their families over-privelege.

But the truth is, and I'm just starting to realize this, that these players who are defectors are LOSERS. They don't have the character to ever be winners because they don't even believe in themselves. These guys are so insecure about their own talent and the chance at being a key player on Canada that they choose less playing time and responsibility on countries they have smaller ties with and a better chance to ride the coat tails of to silverware.

Jason De Vos and Craig Forrest wouldn't be denied theirs... even as Canadians.

Great post.

FWIW I don't consider Tesho Akindele a loser or a defector.

I agree.   I always considered him as equally in the US player pool as ours.  Which is why I was never excited about the prospect of him playing for Canada, and would never have included him in any fantasy lineups I had.  

You're right, my only point (albeit delivered rather crudely) was that if the current group of players - to a man - supported letting guys like Hoilett into the camp, who are we to get in the way and say that it doesn't fit our expectation of a Canadian lineup?

You're right, my only point (albeit delivered rather crudely) was that if the current group of players - to a man - supported letting guys like Hoilett into the camp, who are we to get in the way and say that it doesn't fit our expectation of a Canadian lineup?

We are the people they're playing for.

You can't think of any reasons why current players would support defectors?  Defectors = more playing time for "inferior" players

The opinion of a supporter is about as blunt as it gets because the only stake we hold is the best interests of the team.

Edited by Keegan

We are the people they're playing for.

So you'd rather we tell them what is and isn't acceptable?  I think that if this scenario somehow played out, they'd probably play better if they didn't feel stifled by the opinions of some keyboard warriors (myself included)

You can't think of any reasons why current players would support defectors?  Defectors = more playing time for "inferior" players

The opinion of a supporter is about as blunt as it gets because the only stake we hold is the best interests of the team.

Right, so if they supported him coming on board (meaning less playing time for themselves), it's not a selfish move and shows they want to improve the team.

There are plenty of supporters who would take the likes of Hoilett on board, no one here holds a monopoly on supporters' opinion.  I imagine we'd all like to think we have the best interests of the team (and long-term interests of the program) at heart.

Congrats to Tesho. That being said, he is going to need to be more consistent if he ever wants to play at a higher level. I am pasting a comment from the mlssoccer.com article that reflects effectively what i was saying earlier in this thread:

"And what impact did Tesho have outside of a 7-week, 6-game window in July and August?  He scored 85% of his goals in 17% of the season.  And his hat trick against the worst team in 2014 equates to 43% of his goals in 3% of the season.  If anyone was streaky, it was Tesho"And what impact did Tesho have outside of a 7-week, 6-game window in July and August?  He scored 85% of his goals in 17% of the season.  And his hat trick against the worst team in 2014 equates to 43% of his goals in 3% of the season.  If anyone was streaky, it was Tesho"

And what impact did Tesho have outside of a 7-week, 6-game window in July and August?  He scored 85% of his goals in 17% of the season.  And his hat trick against the worst team in 2014 equates to 43% of his goals in 3% of the season.  If anyone was streaky, it was Tesho

And what impact did Tesho have outside of a 7-week, 6-game window in July and August?  He scored 85% of his goals in 17% of the season.  And his hat trick against the worst team in 2014 equates to 43% of his goals in 3% of the season.  If anyone was streaky, it was Tesho

Congrats to Tesho. That being said, he is going to need to be more consistent if he ever wants to play at a higher level. I am pasting a comment from the mlssoccer.com article that reflects effectively what i was saying earlier in this thread:

"And what impact did Tesho have outside of a 7-week, 6-game window in July and August?  He scored 85% of his goals in 17% of the season.  And his hat trick against the worst team in 2014 equates to 43% of his goals in 3% of the season.  If anyone was streaky, it was Tesho"And what impact did Tesho have outside of a 7-week, 6-game window in July and August?  He scored 85% of his goals in 17% of the season.  And his hat trick against the worst team in 2014 equates to 43% of his goals in 3% of the season.  If anyone was streaky, it was Tesho"

Tell that to VWFC

But IMO you do have a point. his goals to shots ratio this year is simply not sustainable. Would not be surprised if he suffers a bit of a sophomore slump (aka statistical correction) next year. That being said, from what I've seen of him, he does possess the athleticism to become an elite goal scorer, and most reports I've heard nothing but positive things about his work-ethic, and maturity (off the pitch, as well as in front of goal). Those are all positive predictive factors for a successful career, even if he has a slight regression next year.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/extratime

Bunbury gives some advice to Tesho regarding his NT decision (@ 40 minutes).

I won't even click the link.  I know radio shows, it'll be cookie cutter.  Let me guess, something along the lines of "Tesho has to make his own decision", "he has to do what Tesho feels is right for himself", "it's his decision in the end", "we'd be happy to have him in team USA, but he has to choose where his heart lies".

If it says anything other than what I guessed, I'll be surprised.  Tell me honestly if it does, and THEN I'll click the link and listen, otherwise, it's right out of the soccer media handbook.